New member from Texas. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New member from Texas.

Hello, I just bought a "stock" 1995 honda civic hatchback CX around mid October. Turns out it has a 89 CR-X HF head on it, and lots of little issues. I finally decided the engine is beyond worth fixing unless I planned to keep it stock, so I just ordered a D16y1 from HMO to replace that.

I have also bought a go-autoworks radiator kit, GC/Koni coil overs with 350F/350R and GC top hats, 15X7 +35mm advanti Storm wheels and Hankook 195/50/15 tires.

Right now the goal is to make it reliable again and get a membership at the local track. My end goal is to turn it into a competitive STL car.
k5eriescivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

I added a picture. For the most part the d16y1 should drop right in? I'm confused about what o2 sensor I need. The one on it right now is 1 wire. I'll also need some sort of stock or chipped p28? Not really looking to do lots of modifications to this engine as that could be money saved for my SCCA membership . My next upgrade will probably be a ex/si transmission and a clutch once I start racing. The clutch on it now is very chattery so I'm not sure what the deal is with that.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

1995 CX
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0815-810x540_1511828087920.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	123121  

Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

You've come to the right place! Always interested to see more and more track'd cars!

Texas guys come down to Road Atlanta in decent #'s as well, So hopefully I'll see this thing running out there one day.

Once you have your 65 posts or what not, I can talk to you about a good condition S40 trans - it will make a huge difference depending on what trans you're coming from.

You will have to reuse your wiring/edit it if needed if the y1 is a RHD motor...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fodo View Post
You've come to the right place! Always interested to see more and more track'd cars!

Texas guys come down to Road Atlanta in decent #'s as well, So hopefully I'll see this thing running out there one day.

Once you have your 65 posts or what not, I can talk to you about a good condition S40 trans - it will make a huge difference depending on what trans you're coming from.

You will have to reuse your wiring/edit it if needed if the y1 is a RHD motor...
For sure!

Sweet, yes I have the stock cx transmission in it now but it shifts nicely. Once I get some track time I'll swap in the S40. Right now there's no need.

I'm not sure, Steve said it was from Hong Kong so I'm going to assume RHD.

My stock cx turned out to be modified poorly. It has a CR-X HF head on it but a 1 wire o2 sensor that should be 4 correct? I haven't checked if it's the stock ecu because I'm not driving it right now, but once my engine and radiator show up I'll dig deeper into it.

I'll work on my posts in the meantime.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

Idr O2, but there are guides here for converting. IIRC the CX was the Vtec-E D15Z1 IIRC, which did run the 1 wire. It depends more on your engine harness, regardless of the head swap.

But the harness in the car now should have most of the plugs you need, the other ones will be extra if the Y1 is an OBD2 motor like knock sensor + CFK on the oil pump.

|

#

!
Quote:
How
to act on this forum...
Old 11-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Idr O2, but there are guides here for converting. IIRC the CX was the Vtec-E D15Z1 IIRC, which did run the 1 wire. It depends more on your engine harness, regardless of the head swap.

But the harness in the car now should have most of the plugs you need, the other ones will be extra if the Y1 is an OBD2 motor like knock sensor + CFK on the oil pump.
CX is d15b8, the VX is the one with Vtec-E.

Steve said it's obd1. I just wanted to have something to drop in that wasn't crazy expensive and would be more fun than the 72hp stock engine.

No worries, once the engine gets here I'll post some stuff because good info on the d16y1 isn't too easy to find.

Coil overs arrived today!!!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Haha. You did get me there, sadly I've been doing K and B series stuff much more = rusty on the D...

We'll just let the pun enjoy the 15secs of fame lol.I'll be checking for more progress

|

#

!
Quote:
How
to act on this forum...
Old 12-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

Those koni coilovers will help. Try not to set them all the way firm or soft. I wouldn't go too low either. How is the brake fluid, brake pads, engine health? What are your goals?
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Haha. You did get me there, sadly I've been doing K and B series stuff much more = rusty on the D...

We'll just let the pun enjoy the 15secs of fame lol.I'll be checking for more progress
No worries, I contacted bad guys worldwide to see if they could tell me more about the Y1, but they've never had one. I ordered some maintenance parts from autodynamics-honda, and they are located in Singapore. Very good customer service, and Bernard over there told me the D16Z6 is the same as a D16Y1 just with different designation codes I'll try and confirm this when my engine gets here.

Forgot some stuff so I called Steve at HMO and ordered a GSR front sway bar and ITR strut tower bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty d View Post
Those koni coilovers will help. Try not to set them all the way firm or soft. I wouldn't go too low either. How is the brake fluid, brake pads, engine health? What are your goals?
Chris at redshift motorsports said the spring rates on a stock ITR are 250/250 so going with a 350/350 would be an aggressive Type R setup. I want to get a feel for the car when it's running healthy, and then I'll install my suspension stuff one at a time. I'm curious how the car changes with each part.

I'm just going to lower it enough so it doesn't rub, STL rules say a minimum ride height of 5 inches measured from the rocker panel. The brake fluid needs to be flushed, and the pads are good. D15B8 runs but I suspect a leaking headgasket because there's oil getting in the coolant. Long story short the thermostat needed to be replaced when I got bought the car, the engine ran hot for too long, and I got a crack on the radiator filler neck.

Plans before the end of the year is to get the D16Y1 put in along with the go-autoworks radiator, and basic maintenance stuff I bought, timing belt, water pump, various gaskets and seals, etc.

Long term goal is to win some STL races. Between now and then I need lots of track time.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Hello there K5! I just joined the forums today, What area are you in? I was looking into joining Texas motor speedway for entry level Race/track lessons or any track around Texas that doesn't cost TOO much! some seem outrageous!
anyways, just wanted to say Hello from Houston.
Justcruising is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcruising View Post
Hello there K5! I just joined the forums today, What area are you in? I was looking into joining Texas motor speedway for entry level Race/track lessons or any track around Texas that doesn't cost TOO much! some seem outrageous!
anyways, just wanted to say Hello from Houston.
Denton, MSR Houston is close to you. Eagles canyon in Decatur is cheaper but it's a drive for you.

Are you doing this as a hobby?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

I checked out MSR, That place looks awesome. very HEFTY price tag to join.
Yes, this is a hobby. I'd like to get on it, push hard in the corners and all that, just in a safe environment. NOT the freeway.

From what I was reading I'd be required to start from the bottom, do the schooling/ride along with an instructor, and advancing that way before being able to participate in "track days".

I wish there was a legit track that would let you sign a waiver and just let you get at it! Given you have all the proper safety equipment and follow track etiquette.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
I checked out MSR, That place looks awesome. very HEFTY price tag to join.
Yes, this is a hobby. I'd like to get on it, push hard in the corners and all that, just in a safe environment. NOT the freeway.

From what I was reading I'd be required to start from the bottom, do the schooling/ride along with an instructor, and advancing that way before being able to participate in "track days".

I wish there was a legit track that would let you sign a waiver and just let you get at it! Given you have all the proper safety equipment and follow track etiquette.
Yeah it looks like MSR Houston requires a membership to drive on the track at all. I'd call them up and see if you could try it before coughing up 3500$ on a membership.

Other option is an open track day at eagles canyon in Decatur, 200$ and have an instructor with you. You can have 3 open track days before you have to sign up for a membership.

For me the membership price doesn't bother me, but I'm getting into this for more than a hobby.

Update us if you end up going to either place!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

You guys need to do some research on scca and nasa events.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

I signed up for SCCA SOLO!

For SCCA Members...
$45 for Texas Motor Speedway Bus Lot
$60 for Texas Motor Speedway Road Course

This seems like a way better deal. Aimed for the "weekend warrior".
Like Chris stated SCCA is definitely where it's at.

I'm still reading over the Rule book on the Modified class, Since I'll be running a DOHC ZC It puts me in a different bracket. Now time to do some helmet shopping!
Old 12-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
I signed up for SCCA SOLO!

For SCCA Members...
$45 for Texas Motor Speedway Bus Lot
$60 for Texas Motor Speedway Road Course

This seems like a way better deal. Aimed for the "weekend warrior".
Like Chris stated SCCA is definitely where it's at.

I'm still reading over the Rule book on the Modified class, Since I'll be running a DOHC ZC It puts me in a different bracket. Now time to do some helmet shopping!
SMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in