vtec delete - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default vtec delete

Got a p2j head and it has vtec-e I think, on which only 1 intake valve operates until the vtec kicks in and make it two intake valve at high rpm. yeah 16 lobes only

Question is can I just delete the vtec system and make it run 2 intake valves all the time like on those non vtec heads?
john_weak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Probably.

But it's not "just" delete, and it'll likely run like a bag of bricks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Probably.

But it's not "just" delete, and it'll likely run like a bag of bricks.

why? em i going to lost low end torque with 2 intake valves runnin all the time?

Old 10-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

It won't idle worth dick either, if it does.

What is the purpose of this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
It won't idle worth dick either, if it does.

What is the purpose of this?

just thinking of gaining some free HP down low and just confuse why non vtec d15 engine run just fine without vtec (4 valve all the time).

Also thinking that vtec-e is just for economy
Old 10-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
endo_bobo

Rep Power: 38 sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to sir_bobos

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_weak View Post
why non vtec d15 engine run just fine without
Because some smart Asians that design that shit for a living made it that way.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_weak View Post
just thinking of gaining some free HP down low and just confuse why non vtec d15 engine run just fine without vtec (4 valve all the time).

Also thinking that vtec-e is just for economy
I thought the e stood for efficiency.

A tiny bit of reading suggests that the way the vtec-e works is to take advantage of the swirl effect you get if you speed up the intake charge (eg: reduce the cross-sectional area.) This should actually give you more torque at lower revs, compared to having all the valves fully open.

Once the engine speeds up, the flow is accelerated anyway, and bringing the second set of cams into play helps to consume all of the fuel/air mixture at the right time.

I take all this to mean that your vtec-e engine will actually be less efficient if you do what you're suggesting - and that's even if you can find an ecu that will get the best out of the change.

[Caveat: I'm a rank amateur ...]

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

The advantage of all VTECs is to be able to run two cam profiles. One for down low (optimizing low end torque for drivability) and one for up high (optimizing valve opening for top end power). I think VTEC-E was slightly more complicated and allowed for a third option to optimize mpg. However ... eliminating/killing VTEC kinda kills the low end (take a look at some B series engines running Toda's VTEC killers).

Also unless you plan on getting it retuned ... the ECU is not going to expect whatever is happening and it will run like ass because the fuel and timing maps will not be set up for the new configuration.

In response to why do non-vtec Ds run with out it ... it's a completely different head/cam set up. They don't have the VTEC lobes and are running a single cam profile. They were designed that way and have fuel and timing maps to match.

Take a look at a VTEC vs Non-VTEC cam and a couple of videos about how VTEC works and it will start to make sense.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Also 4v operation is bad for low rpm cylinder filling and therefore pressure which means less tq, which is what makes power until rpm is the bigger multiplier in the math. This is evidenced by our higher rpm efficiency peaks vs a 12 or 8 valve design.

I wouldn't expect major gains.... the intake might sound cooler though
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in