Blinkers causing dash lights to flicker and car to surge - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Blinkers causing dash lights to flicker and car to surge

89 civic with a 95 b7. New battery, new alternator, new dizzy, all fuses good, All grounds are connected. On the way home from work my alternator died so I replaced it, but it was over 12 years old so I'm not sure if the issue had anything to do with it. I'm scared I'm going to kill another alternator. Car revs fine, builds boost fine, doesn't stutter or misfire at all. Only when I use the blinkers. I don't even know where to start and hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. The conversion harness that was done on it is kind of sloppy.
anomolix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody

I pulled the hazard turn signal relay and the hazards and blinkers still work. WTF?
Old 10-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Did it work properly before the alternator went down? Or has it been an issue since the conversion?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

It's been an issue since I got it done in 2009. It will intermittently do it. Sometimes the hatch open light will come on randomly, flicker a bit after the car is started and then shut off. I swapped some fuses just in case, and apparently the hazard relay isn't the same one as in my service manual. The manual says it's the upper most right relay but it's not, it's the upper left relay. I pulled that relay and checked the voltage at the positive and it's 11.3v. The voltage at the blinker fuse is 12.6. I took apart the relay and cleaned it a little bit and reinstalled it. After reinstall the trunk light came on even though it's not open and then turned off and now everything seems to be working fine. What in the world is going on?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Check your grounds. Unbolt, clean the chassis/engine surface, clean the bolt and tap the threads.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

If it's not the grounds, my guess would be that there's a short or two in the harness you describe as 'sloppy'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ok, so i was able to mess with it a little bit last night. i swapped the blinker fuse, pulled the relay and checked the power at the fuse box. The blinker had battery voltage but the positive on the relay had 11.3. I opened up the relay, cleaned it a bit and reinstalled it and the problem seemed to go away. Using the blinkers no longer make all the dash lights dim in sync, but they do slightly (barely noticeable) make the trunk light flicker with them. I hit the hazard switch and the trunk light does the same thing but a little bit brighter.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

edit: reread first post more closely. as you were gentlemen and LowFlyin.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
edit: reread first post more closely. as you were gentlemen and LowFlyin.
Shore is shady over here...
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in