Project EJ1.8 - My introduction thread - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Build2 is learning the way of the DBuild2 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Project EJ1.8 - My introduction thread

Hi im B2 from NZ,

Have started working on an EJ1 coupe.

It has a EK facelift civic front fitted (EJ7s are fairly rare here, EJ8s missed the boat entirely).

I'm just struggling thru a wire tuck which is nearly there, just needs the loom tidied up, put on the motor and then stuck back in the car.

I have a few other things that are still to do
-finish tucking the fusebox
-finish the manual conversion (car was auto)
-convert the steering rack to manual
-battery in boot
-craft up a new center console

A build thread can be found on the nzhondas website if anyone is interested in checking it out. By all means let me know if theres things ive done wrong/feedback.
Build2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

No pics???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Build2 is learning the way of the DBuild2 is learning the way of the D

i cant post because of post count, i couldnt link the other site either (which has pics)

Old 09-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

pm someone and well figure out a way to post pics
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
pm someone and well figure out a way to post pics

Last edited by slo_eg8; 09-10-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Have you painted yet? Interested to see how it turned out at the body weld.

See if I can find you on nzhonda later.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Have you painted yet? Interested to see how it turned out at the body weld.

See if I can find you on nzhonda later.
Nothing has happened with it. I was messing around with the engine loom trying to make it reach thru the firewall, however it was too short, i then decided i wanted to do the loom properly (not cut and extend it) and tried to figure out which pins and wire size to order.

I dont have any money to spare on the build and i really cant afford to mess up the order and have to order twice etc

i havent found anything concrete on what to order, now dont get me wrong here ive searched for weeks and i have so many part numbers for pins its not funny.

I started making a spreadsheet file on the harness loom, which plugs to which, which wire gauge, wire colour, wire order, pin type etc but kept getting frustrated as i couldnt find the nitty information that i needed like plugs, all i could find on plugs is ecu or dizzy.

I pm'd a few people asking if i could buy some sort of wiring kit so that i could make my own loom which would save in costs since i cant afford one all done. this hasnt gone anywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to try sort out paint and my paint options are too many, i wanted to sand it back -> primer it -> and dare i say it matte black it (I hate matte black but im just a little over it all and wanted the car to be reasonably the same colour)

Paint ive always thought was all the same and all the paint shops that ive been to want me to do it properly and the rough quote prices has been about $200 of which id budgeted just under half that, not expecting it to be even that.

i still havent fixed the rust in the roof or patched up the aerial delete hole and to top it all we currently cant paint anything because of overspray issues on other cars, cant cover up the other cars or throw sheets up because of the size of the shop.

i decided i would take a new approach to getting the car done and work on converting the power steering to manual, so i cut the lines to the reservoir to clear up the bay and give myself some workspace under there, then i kind of decided to try figure how to take the rack out of the bay without dropping the subframe, was on my fone searching for a how to on how to do this but photobucket messed all the pics up (couldnt install the add-on to fix it on my fone) so called it quits.

attempted to do more to the car (attempt # no idea). decided to take out the auto shifter, the inside of the car was full of rubbish, interior, bits of electrical tape from the loom that id taken off and crap everywhere. cars clean, motivation was gone.

i dont know the last time ive worked on it, its frustrated the hell out of me the wiring i would like done so that i can put the dash back in and tuck the fusebox under there, however i dont want to put the motor in there without painting the front, i dont want to paint the front without painting the rust hole (which still isnt fixed) and aerial hole at the same time. ive been tempted to kick it off the jackstands a few times and just scrap the car but i need the money from selling it, of which il do if it ever gets back together.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

well after writing that up the other day i was half motivated to go do something.

I undid the top of the auto shifter, so that next time im under it i can just undo the bolts and then it will lift out.

Also removed steering column as im planning on putting a dc2 one in (non air bag no messing around with clock springs to earth the horn etc)

after doing the above i also pulled the auto pedal box out, theres some relay over the clutch firewall hole, so i need to find out wtf that is.

finally rotated the brake booster 180 to hide the hose thing (that comes off it and goes to the back of the intake manifold - no idea of the name, but i lost the valve thing).

Cars starting to get messed with.. its in a massive shared space, bits have gone missing and the guards have been dented, wirings been messed with and ripped out of where i had it (also been stretched and now has some wires exposed). also has had someone spray paint random shit on it.

Plan is to get it rolling and bring it home and go over it.

seriously pissed off about it
Old 10-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Shared space as in?

Also there is a lot in this thread.

One, how many builds have you done? I had my racecar sit for 3 years before it got slammed together in a month, about 2 more of me slowly putting the motor together before that. And my other build recorded here was exactly what you're doing minus bodywork.

The hard part is, when you loose steam, pull yourself out of the detail-oriented stuff and make progress 100%. Look at what is absolutely necessary to get it running/moving and what parts are preventing that - ex. Need engine in, but doing steering rack work, either commit or scrap the idea for now.

You can pull the rack w/o pulling subframe. You take out the outer tire rod on drivers side, slide whole rack to passanager side (u-joint off of rack as well), then remove bottom of exhaust, and spin the steering gear upside-down and pull out at maybe 15degree. Easier with 2 people and you may need the car pretty high.

Honda crimps grounds together from factory. So if you must extend, leave a lot of wire from plug end, and you can get their proper crimp, and just double hest shrink 2x and 3x the size of the crimp.

If you're experienced on building a harness, do it right later. The only thing I'd say is drain coolant and pull intake manifold, and everything will be pretty easy.

Remember, these projects should be fun, so if it starts becoming stressful and angry, back off.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...

Last edited by Mr.Fodo; 10-21-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

The "relay box" is likely cruise control where the clutch pedal goes IIRC. Find the Helms manual on Hondaswap.com and download it. 1200 pages of 99% of the info you need.

IMO you may have taken on too much, but I can't blame you. I jumped into EVERYTHING head first too. But for you, Photo bucket raped you. I may try to find a better solution my self as well (you really just have to click the broken images to see them).

Also, I'd like to talk with you about budget more if you can, it may be stretching what expectations you're looking at now.

But NZ gets ALL the fun stuff! We have a track slut CTR waiting to get exported over here. And apparently ITR are abundant and stupid cheap.

Don't see this as me telling you to throttle back. It's more of pace yourself. You can do all the fun stuff while the car still runs. The best this is to keep the car running and work on your dev/project stuff in spare parts, so you barely have the annoying down time. Ex. grab spare honda Engine plugs, and use those for your wire tuck of the headlight/AC harness. Then you can finish up the interior and also have it detachable when you're ready to tuck it.

Drivers side is basically long enough by itself, passanager likely needs extension (I only hid mine under the A/C lines as of right now to get 80% of the look, but 15% of the work).

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Shared space as in?

One, how many builds have you done? I had my racecar sit for 3 years before it got slammed together in a month, about 2 more of me slowly putting the motor together before that. And my other build recorded here was exactly what you're doing minus bodywork.
Shared space as in about 8 other people then theres people that hang out and then theres a fence halfway thru the building with more space on the other side thats easily jumpable. total number of cars in their is about 100-200.

I havent really done any builds just bits here and there, but have messed around with hondas for years, years ago i was part of the ricer movement so it was more about exterior bodykits, lighting/sounds and lowering than motor. there has been a few bits and bobs done but that was mostly mates doing all the labour and me just holding shit, banter and passing tools while pissed up (alcohol) and not really caring to learn at the time.

im not sure of the longest period of time that ive had a car be in my possession, maybe 13months max, the most cars ive had change hands in a week is 4. i have no idea how many cars ive owned but it would be close to triple digits if not in them. So 3 years is weird to me, always money to be made and some cars expectations were never met, i seriously hated the CL9 after wanting one for years, where as the cm6 (v6 05 accord) was one of the better cars id ever owned, strapped for cash i could barely afford to run it and sold it, its one car that if it comes up again at the right time id definitely buy, it also makes me crave a jseries swap, i can only imagine how nuts it would go in an eg/ek (fun fact id have to import a manual box/ecu wiring etc if i was to do the conversion, because we didnt get any manual ones). However i understand that im the odd one for car ownership and not others.

Quote:
Look at what is absolutely necessary to get it running/moving and what parts are preventing that - ex. Need engine in, but doing steering rack work, either commit or scrap the idea for now.
Parts currently missing are the manual bits except for the auto to manual mount, a mate was meant to wreck one and promised me the parts for free and just hasnt got around to it, car is also under other cars so its not like i can just jack it up and pull the stuff off. also technically the wiring isnt done.

ive cut the steering lines to the the reserviour so technically i need to do that now, prior i said i wasnt going to cut them so that i could put it back just incase but i have..

Quote:
Honda crimps grounds together from factory. So if you must extend, leave a lot of wire from plug end, and you can get their proper crimp, and just double hest shrink 2x and 3x the size of the crimp.

If you're experienced on building a harness, do it right later.

The "relay box" is likely cruise control where the clutch pedal goes IIRC.
with wiring.. i started out installing headunits for people using masking tape (at the time i didnt know better, also no fires or anything) i graduated to using chocolate blocks and thats as far as wiring ever went. the loom is heading to the chop station ive kinda gotten desperate to get the thing together and going now and id rather do the loom with motor out of the car.

i also came across a good point about crimping vs soldering is that in the end they are all soldered to a circuit board

car was pre cruise control ive read a few auto to manual swaps and most people say unplug and put it aside so that will probably happen, i might trace the wires and see, i think i saw something that said about it locking the keys in the ignition while the car is in gear.

Quote:
Find the Helms manual on Hondaswap.com and download it. 1200 pages of 99% of the info you need.
But for you, Photo bucket raped you
someone posted a photobucket fix on here which has worked, (/forums/party-bullsh%2At/308426-fixing-dead-photofucket-images.html) 90% of the sites ive gone back to read up on. i really should go back and save the webpages with the images just incase the fix stops working. i also get the fun of finding somethings have been done differently between RHD & LHD.

Manuals, ha yeah ive done a bit of reading on them, it annoys me that the eg pdfs are so crudely done, i was going to buy the Bishko CD (/forums/general-tech/308058-bishko-cd-dvds.html) but no one confirmed the quality. Admittedly coughing up and buying the actual book is tempting, especially since the electrical diagrams would be crystal clear and not smudge into nothingness. one of the pdfs has an extra pdf added to it that has some great electrical stuff including photos which i havent seen in any other pdfs that are out there. I also had a copy of an old version of the EPC but it was made for Africa and the quality is the same as the pdfs and with it being in the wrong language (and no option to change) it was useless.

Quote:
Also, I'd like to talk with you about budget more if you can, it may be stretching what expectations you're looking at now.
Budget wise is an interesting story, when starting for some reason i thought i had a bottomless pit of money, i must of been living on one bloody good high, because there was no money at all, which was realized after starting...
Im currently out of work, hence budget being small/non exsistant hence me only being able to really buy something once, also shipping is a killer. I dont save $, however if its needed i find a way.

Quote:
But NZ gets ALL the fun stuff! We have a track slut CTR waiting to get exported over here. And apparently ITR are abundant and stupid cheap.
before i continue, I cannot find rare JDM items that are apparently in abundant supply. the CRX people think we have compasses, glow in the dark tailgate writing and all sorts laying around, ive never seen any, except for the pics that ive been sent, crxs are hard to find unless you payout good money and then if anything breaks, goodluck finding anyone that has parts for one.

NZ did get a lot of fun stuff, but it hasnt been nice to it. I was helping out a wrecking yard and did get in a little bit of trouble as every eg hatch that came in, i would fix and put back on the road, so they kind havent wrecked one in about 4 years... parts are in high demand, especially front guards.. Other yards in my area rarely get them in. the last one that i heard of was completely stripped in about 2 days, even tank and lines were gone. where i live there arent many dohc vtecs let alone ITR/CTRs, i doubt any yards here have a single b16a/b18c in them let alone any DA6/EG6/ITR/CTR stuff, id nearly go as far to say no h22as either.

ITRs go as low as $2000~ sometimes cheaper.. (cheapest CTR ive seen was $4000) usually the cheaper they are, the more wrecked they are or they are hiding some incorrectly fixed crash damage. the cheapest ones are at the very bottom of the country and due to some beaches they are mostly full of rust and can be picked up for next to nothing as only good for parts and some people are clueless about what the parts on the car are worth.

DB8Rs (integra type r 4 door) are usually a dime a dozen if you find them, they go as low as $400~ most people seem unaware of what they actually are and with them being 4 door its undesirable

also most people buy back from insurance companies OR the big firms outbid everyone at auction and then those bits get exported because the prices are massively increased compared to what they would get if they sold locally.
if the company sells the motor or box cheap its because its smokey and is box crunchy.

Cars here need to be inspected (every 6 months pre 2000 and once yearly for 2000+) its called a WOF, pretty much any rust and your either paying to get it fixed or thats your car finished. no camber, no stretched tires, no hood raisers, cant tint it too dark, exhausts cant be loud, if you 2 stepped down the street you'd probably get fined etc we can modify to an extent but then we have to have it certified before driving it on the road, so legally we can lower a car to 100mm but to go lower we can run adjustables (which have to be certed and at one fixed height) most people usually do all the mods in one hit if they can so they dont have to pay to re-cert it everytime, fun fact:when you get the car certed they include the wheels, so if you have 17X7 and turn up for a wof with a set of 15x9 you will fail the wof till you have the correct wheels back on the car. Also me converting the front end and auto to manual i need to have certed, if its tidy enough it might not get picked up on, having a build thread probably doesnt help me tho (not that any wof people would read it etc). North America dont know how well they have it for some of the stuff they do to their cars let alone having it on the road still, im a big fan of cutting up the rear wheel arches and putting overfenders on, but here i doubt that you'd even get that certed..

If we dont have a wof car can be impounded or given a sticker (green or pink) all with fines and to have the sticker removed you have to pay double the price of a normal WOF, if you peel the sticker yourself and get caught theres more fines.

Quote:
Don't see this as me telling you to throttle back.
i probably should add a few things here about the build and whats been done already, i did hold back as the site was a little bit more quieter than i thought..

Im suprised it has a minimum limit of thread postings before i can unlock things, im not to worried about accessing buy/sell, it admittedly does make me curious to see if theres anything in there that perks my curiosity. sigs is no big deal to me either..
Old 10-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

manuals that ive come across was meant to put it in previous post but cant edit.

other side of the car, mock up getting ready to cut that guard

auto to manual mount

how i ran the wires on either side of the car (got to take back out and put wrap around them)

wiper motor wiring reaches

some random hose on the block that i changed out and rerouted

engine and gearbox together with me mocking up the wiring

a engine loom i thought i had mocked up nicely but was too short
Old 10-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

I like where this thread is going, keep up the good work!
innovation23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovation23 View Post
I like where this thread is going, keep up the good work!
Thanks check out the build thread here https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ml#post5113074

I will just continue this thread there now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in