Smoking engine at high RPMs. Please help! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 Spinner is worse than Satan's assholeSpinner is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Smoking engine at high RPMs. Please help!

I recently purchased a '91 Civic EX and was told the car steadily misfired on cylinder one. Well I quickly realized that the engine smokes when it gets into the higher RPM range. I also noticed that cylinder one had no compression while idling but seemed to gain a slight bit while I was on the throttle. Everything I've seen has said that this is most likely the piston rings. If it is, I'm just going to replace all the pistons with brand new ones. I'd like to know if it would be better to go with the P29 ZC pistons or to go with GX pistons on LS connecting rods. I'd like to do the gx pistons if possible, but I'm having a hard time finding them. Any links and help would be greatly appreciated.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

why replace them? new rings, maybe a hone and good to go. while youre there, a tune up wouldn't hurt
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Put your wallet away.

Find out why its lost compression in that cylinder.
do both a dry and wet compression test.

both should be with ignition and fuel disabled via unplugging shit, or pulling fuses.

full throttle open position, crank for 5-10 seconds I would imagine. whatever it takes to peak out and level the numbers.

Have the battery hooked to a charger or running vehicle for best results if your current battery is old, that way you do not introduce a tired battery to the last few cylinders.

if the cylinder head is responsible for the oil consumption and loss of compression, fuck getting new rings or pistons. a shit cylinder head will not care if your block is in perfect health

EDIT I also cant imagine how the hell you can tell compression is gone at idle, but "picks up" with rpms. Sounds more like its waiting on fuel pressure, as vacuum decreases with more throttle, the regulator is allowing higher pressure, and perhaps pushing past a dirty fuel injector, which might be sticking occasionally and feeding more fuel than necessary, creating smoke.

Color of smoke, smell of smoke, is there buildup on muffler tip?

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

Last edited by mattliston; 09-04-2017 at 07:59 PM.
mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 Spinner is worse than Satan's assholeSpinner is worse than Satan's asshole

You'll have to forgive me. I'm brand new to Hondas, this is my real "first" car. Before I had a BMW 740i that was really just meant to be an $800 experiment to see if it would actually last more than 6 months(which it did not I might add). I know it's not a head gasket because the smoke is a bluish grey color. The grey is because of it not burning off the fuel in cylinder one of course. And the blue is it burning oil. It clearly smells of oil and begins to blow smoke when I go above roughly 4000 to 4500 RPMs. Also, I did the compression test today and there was zero compression at all. I'm going to tear the engine down soon and replace the pistons and rings with 76mm P29 pistons. I could use the extra compression for any power I can get to make it up the hills out here. I've also got a 91 Accord throttle body I'm going to install after I finish boring and polishing it. I need to get as much power from this engine as possible without ruining the reliability of it. What size head gasket should be run when I install the P29 pistons?
Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

why would you go straight to 76mm?
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Well I was told it would help increase compression. What would you suggest? 75mm P29 pistons or possibly 75.5mm?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

75.5 will the head milled.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Jumping to a 1mm overbore right off the bat is probably not the best plan. As long as you are tearing it down check the cylinders. If they're still round you can likely just hone, rering, and be on your way. Overboring is a fix for when there's too much wear in the cylinder to get a good seal on the stock size piston rings. If they're still in good shape, and will have P2W clearance within OEM spec. Hone, rings and go. Otherwise bore it over as little as possible (0.5mm) to get the seal, because once you go to the max overbore ... well you're SOL if you need to do it again.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Alrighty thank you guys. Like I said I'm brand new to this. I appreciate the help with everything. I've been waiting on an exhaust(eBay) now that I ordered on Monday and I'm ready for it to get here so I can replace the entire rusty stock exhaust. If I'm looking to increase performance, what are some cheaper things I can do? I'd like to stay as simple as possible with mostly bolt one but I'd be willing to replace a cam or something like that, especially while I'm already inside the engine.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Anything you do beyond basic bolt ons (I/H/E) will need a tune to really wake them up. Yeah you could do a cam, but to really take advantage of the changes in lift/duration your timing and fuel maps really should to be adjusted to compensate. Same with bumping the compression up a bit (I'm not sure how much is considered okay on stock fuel/timing).

The biggest bang for your buck is going to be your suspension, since this doesn't take a whole lot of extra support. Refresh the old bushings, get a decent strut/spring combo, or a good set of coilovers (the difference between cheap coilovers and quality ones is magical ... don't cheap out). These kinds of upgrades can make even the most underpowered car a lot of fun to drive.

Also look into transmission upgrade options, these can also be expensive, but again do not require tuning. Shorter gears and an LSD can go a long way towards increasing the fun factor.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Although it sounds like you have to fix the engine anyway, don't lose sight of the fact that it costs nothing to strip weight out the car. If you're not bothered about passengers and sound-deadening etc, there are significant gains to be had.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sailor's right. Adding power will make you faster in a straight line. Decreasing weight will make you faster everywhere.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

So I have a body who's taking auto body at the local college. He asked his engines class teacher about working on the car there. The teacher said he'd be glad to have one of the classes work on it. They can give me a quote on parts or I can order my own. I'm going to order my own. What should I order that could make a difference in it that they could install while tearing down the engine?
Old 09-15-2017, 05:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

don't order anything until they tear it down. when you know for sure if you need a bore/hone then you can order. when you know the specs, then you can order the rings, bearings, seals and gaskets.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

Ohhh I remember my days back in Vo-tech

I learned alot at the expense of other peoples money!

Spinner, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor at the school, and hope the one that works on your car is the hot shot of the class and a bit of a narcissist
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Build2 is learning the way of the DBuild2 is learning the way of the D

the misfire could be spark related, have you checked your sparkplugs?
Build2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in