Ghetto Turbo Build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Smile Ghetto Turbo Build

Hey there guys I'm brand new here and glad that I am! Little summary of the project I'm taking on. I bought a $300 dollar 88 Civic hatch DX and had the most fun of my life using it as an offroad go cart pretty much out at some land my family owns. After 2 months of jumping, hooning, and banging gears in the civic offroad, I decided to slap some lights on it and make it road worthy again. (Had no headlights, brakelights, etc.) Well now its been on the road for about 2 months now and hasn't given me one problem.

Anyway, enough rambling.

My goal is to turbo this thing. I already ordered a turbo and an oil feed line, and I think Ill be able to do my own return line. The turbo I ordered has an 8PSI built in wastegate. The problem I have is that I have no clue how to address the A/F Ratio. Is there any way to use the stock ECU with the turbo running at that boost level? I don't want to spend what I paid for the car on a tune for it either. Like I said, this'll be ghetto. Speaking of ghetto, my fuel tank is a boat gas tank behind the rear seats. Sketchy? Yes. But very easy to access the fuel pump/filter. I don't know if a better pump would make things any better, but I do know the pump I have right now is an inline pump. I don't know if that is stock or not, but it seems to flow pretty well. I also have stock injectors. Is there any way I can avoid tuning while making the A/F richer? I've heard about "FMU"s. Thoughts on those? I don't even know what they do yet i've just seen them come up on these fourms and haven't researched much yet. I'll also be running this setup without an intercooler. Is that fine? I've heard that lower boost applications can be run without an IC. I know the right way to do it is to run one, but can I make do without one?

I know this sounds stupid, that's because it is. I got the car for $300 so the worst that can happen is it blows up and you guys laugh at me in the process. That's fine, I'll just be offering some free entertainment for ya

So if you could, please keep the hate to a minimum and just offer any helpful advice you might have. Much appreciated. Thanks!
DaDepths is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

You need to get that search google-fu in operating order.

there are several ways to get a tuning setup.

you will FIRST need to convert to multiport. that is, 1 injector per cylinder.

a search term you will want is "obd1 conversion ef civic"

reading>building at this stage.

do the build in complete stages

1) convert to obd1

2) DO MAINTENANCE (timing belt, water pump, plugs, thermostat, sensors, etc..)

3) enjoy the car for a few months. work out any bugs. make sure it is 100% good to go

4) grab a tuning solution. chipped ecu, AEM drop in for OBD1, ,megasquirt, ktuned blackbox ecu, etc..

5) dial in a tune on stock setup to learn the software and what does what

6-99+) start turbo build

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

a) mattliston's list is pretty fair. Don't skimp any of it
b) You won't need an IC at low boost
c) You will need to spend more than what you paid for the car on tuning if you want the results to match your efforts

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

If you only put $300 into the car and turbo kit, expect to pay around $600 to get it tuned. Or more. The shittier your car is the more time it will take the tuner, and time is money. Dont like that? Dont boost it or do it all yourself. I did it all myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
You need to get that search google-fu in operating order.

there are several ways to get a tuning setup.

you will FIRST need to convert to multiport. that is, 1 injector per cylinder.

a search term you will want is "obd1 conversion ef civic"

reading>building at this stage.

do the build in complete stages

1) convert to obd1

2) DO MAINTENANCE (timing belt, water pump, plugs, thermostat, sensors, etc..)

3) enjoy the car for a few months. work out any bugs. make sure it is 100% good to go

4) grab a tuning solution. chipped ecu, AEM drop in for OBD1, ,megasquirt, ktuned blackbox ecu, etc..

5) dial in a tune on stock setup to learn the software and what does what

6-99+) start turbo build
Thanks for responding, I agree. After reading on how garbage the OBD0 and DPFI is for boosted setups, those two things are going to be next on my list. However, I did get it running!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
If you only put $300 into the car and turbo kit, expect to pay around $600 to get it tuned. Or more. The shittier your car is the more time it will take the tuner, and time is money. Dont like that? Dont boost it or do it all yourself. I did it all myself.
I did everything myself. I plan on converting to OBD1 soon.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

The dual point to multipoint conversion can be tricky if you are unorganized. Make sure to stay organized and take lots of notes.
Advertisement

Tags
boost, built, ghetto, turbo, wild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in