Another mini-me question (I've searched!!) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Another mini-me question (I've searched!!)

I swear I have searched before, but couldn't find answers to this anywhere.

So I have a d15b2+z6 that I paid someone to do. I'm going to rebuild it, now that I have more knowledge, so I'm going to need some info on timing issues.

So first - When you adjust the cam gear to 4.75, do you retard it or advance it? Is it only because of timing belt half tooth issues, or does it have anything to do with valve clearance too?
----- Do you adjust the outer part of the cam gear (bc of the belt), or the inner part? If you only adjust the outer part, how will you get more valve clearance? If the valvetrain is not going to move?!
Also, if you move the outer part, do you need to draw new TDC marks on the gear?
Or do you move the inner part only, adjusting the camshaft/valvetrain, and TDC markings stay intact?
This sounds really noob I know, but is really confusing to me.

Second question: Distributor timing/ignition timing. I've read that it needs to be 16-18 degrees before TDC. Since my head was milled, the most accurate way to find out how many degrees to set the dizzy to, would be using a strob light (don't know the technical term on English), right? But how do I set ignition timing? Is it adjustable in the dizzy, like in the old ones, or is it only possible via ECU mapping?

Thanks!
Costa777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I can, sort of, answer the mechanical timing question.

The timing is adjusted because of the lower deck height of the D15 block. This is, effectively, like milling the shit out of a D16 block. Because the head is now lower and you have a shorter belt ... each tooth will be slightly off in terms of where it lines up. This is solely to get mechanical timing correct and has little, if anything, to do with valve clearance. That will be determined by how much your block was decked, how much your head was milled, and how much lift your cam has.

As far as the adjustments on the cam gear ... it doesn't matter which you adjust outer or inner ring. Either way you will have a positive or negative offset from the "stock TDC" markings. You do not need to make new ones, use the TDC marks that you have that's the purpose of having the adjustments. To advance or retard the mechanical timing relative to "stock".

The ignition timing should be set at the distributor using a timing light (strobe light). Any adjustments made in the ECU are typically relative to tuning for different than stock AFRs, load, etc. You want to set your base timing at the distributor and the let the ECU take over for the dynamic conditions that happen while driving. If your engine is mostly stock ... you'll likely be fine without getting into ECU tuning.

I think I have all of that mostly correct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- Stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2017, 04:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks!

What I meant regarding to the gear, was if I adjusted it while fitted on to the head already. But you answered my question, I have to adjust it so that timing is right, because deck height is different. So the "adjustable part is the outer part", as I'm fiddling with the belt, not the camshaft.
But yea, the whole thing moves as a system... I'm this confused because my mechanic drew these little dots on the gear with a correcting pen ? I must take another look at the engine and come here again. Ugh...

Regarding to the distributor, thanks for the input, I now understand. Should've thought of that. The ECU can auto adjust in dynamic situations like you said, but I still have to set idle timing at the dizzy. Is that right?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

PS I am not going to change the air fuel ratio, as it is going to stay NA, but I am going to change the CR as I'll put p29 pistons in it. Is it going to need any further adjustments?
Also considering skunk2 valve springs and retainers... Keeping the stock cam. Is this stupid?

The car has a socket and chipped p28 ecu. It was mapped accordingly to its mini-me setup, and I honestly don't know was was done because I was such a newbie and still kinda am. Only now I care more.
Anyway, with that map, the car idles well, revs well, etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in