A6 head shave question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default A6 head shave question

Hey guys I haven't posted anything in a while but to keep it short and simple I have to replace my head gasket and this gives me the opportunity to finish shaving the head.

I am running a B7 bottom end with an A6 head, a .028" mls head gasket and currently a .008" mill on the head due to warp. I have been up in the air as to whether or not I should shave it another .012" to round the total drop to .040" or to go a little further and shave the head a total of .030" for a total of .050" drop and a 10.45:1 compression ratio according to zealautowerks calculator.

My question is for anyone knowing if this will be safe as far as piston to valve clearances since the A6 camshaft is more aggressive than the B7. I have an AEM adjustable cam gear to set the cam back into the correct time and I know how far to advance it. For anyone still in question about cam timing after shaving look up my thread "timing issue need help", thanks to transzex and JoelEspinoza for helping get that sorted out.

Thanks in advance.
Shinso95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

while shaving the head will allow a nice bump in compression, it wont be much of a performance bump unless you are commiting to other parts as well.

though you could opt to seriously shave the head, and then throw in a set of PG6 pistons that sit .7mm lower in deck than the standard 30.7mm b7 slugs, the PG6 pistons have a dome versus the pm3 flat tops

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm mainly looking for better gas mileage with a little extra zip. I rebuilt this engine in January but had a small run-in with pothole while out in the mountains and ended up overheating. I have another engine build on the back burner but this is my only vehicle currently. I was simply hoping to find out if valve clearance is safe to have a total drop of .050".

I have a 3" short ram with a long AEM cone filter. I moved back to it because it gave me the best response and fuel mileage out of everything I had to try with. I've got a 2 1/4" exhaust with a 2 1/2" glasspack before the resonator and a 2 1/2" flowmaster muffler. I need to update my exhaust review. I also have a 8lb lightweight flywheel. I put 205/50/15 tires on 15x7 Drag somethings that are 14lbs if I remember correctly. Everything together has made my car considerably better than it was before I rebuilt it. Even with my head gasket leak I'm keeping pace with N/A Eclipses, first gen Integra, and walk on other Civics in my area most of the time. I average 36-38mpg depending on how bad traffic is and my mood. My best 0-60mph self clocked was 8 seconds. I haven't done a retest since I've got my car setup as it is now.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

if MPG is of reasonable priority, while extra compression can certainly help, it is something that has severe diminishing returns.

what I mean is, once you are past the 10:1 or so mark, it doesnt improve the engine efficiency much overall until you address other issues that will present themselves as the motor sees more and more stress.

run a synthetic 5w-30 or 5w-20 if cold out (like me in wisconsin)
keep tires at the correct psi. I use 35-40 depending on if Im doing mostly city or mostly highway
if the car has not seen an alignment at all recently, throw it in the shop and get it dialed in.

yank the brakes apart, regrease and clean everything.

make sure the wheelbearings dont drag at all. An extremely rough check is simply to find a nice flat piece of road with no wind, and pop it in nuetral and coast, paying attention to see if the car feels like it pulls to one side, or feels like a brake dragging a bit. Totally non-scientific, but it can show if the car tends to wonder or not.

buy a cheap ebay front lip for the car. cutting away air's chance to go under the car always helps aerodynamics.

maybe cheap out for testing, and duct tape or masking tape the front grill, leaving a small 4" by 12" gap for air flow to the radiator.

lots of things!

ecomodders website has a few civic owners who have varying ranges of just better gasmileage, versus total customization. a few of their tricks can add 5mpg or more right off the get go.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips.

I do run 5w-30 Royal Purple. I run my tires at 38psi and air them up when they drop to 36psi. I'm going to school for Auto Tech and this spring term is suspension and alignment. I'm in brakes this term but do not have the extra money to replace wheel bearings or my brakes. I will be going through all wheel bearings, all of my brakes and possibly converting the back end to disc. I rebuilt the front calipers earlier this year because of sticking slides. My car does roll freely but I've owned it for over 2 years and whoever owned it before me didn't exactly take care of it so it's something I want to get done before it becomes a problem.

I will be working on replacing the front and rear bumper on my car as they are both damaged pretty badly and have had plans to look into better bumpers.

Gas mileage is of pretty high priority as I drive up to 2500 miles a month. I've put on 18k miles since the rebuild 10 months ago.

On top of all the other things, a .050" total drop is safe to run as far as valve clearance goes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in