Dohc zc or d15b - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Everything Else » New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: D15b vtec or dohc zc
D15b vtec (obd1) 2 22.22%
Dohc zc (obd1) 5 55.56%
**slo edit ** z6 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Dohc zc or d15b

Hi. I need your opinion. Next week end, i will be buying a new engine for my 1990 civic wagon rt4wd. It will be a dohc zc or a jdm d15b vtec. Both of the engine are going to be obd1. We know they both have 130hp. Both engine are really clean (that why the zc is obd1, this is only one that doesnt look trash).
So how clean the engine is not a consideration in this poll.
Why im asking you is because both of them have pro or con.
I think the zc have a better power band but d15b will have better fuel economy but vtec need to rev higher to delivers the 130 hp of the engine.
For the cost; the zc swap will cost a $350 more than the d15b ;
Zc = engine has no dizzy so i need to buy a new td43 for $150. I need to get a chipped ecu for it ($200) and the engine sell for $900. So total is $1250
D15b= engine is complete with p08 ecu, i only need to buy an adapfer for the half shaft provision which is $200. Engine cost is $700. So total price is $900.
I dont consider obd0 to obd1 ecu adapter because i will need it on both engine.

So far so good, what do you think about it?
Sylquebec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

d16z6
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
d16z6
What the... do you see it in the list? Every d16z6 here in junkyard have a lot of milleage + they are not so much available. We have more than 12 jdm motor shop here in montreal with dozen of d15b which is a really similar engine.
Stay on the topic please.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

d15 vs d16.

mileage doesn't mean much if youre just going to rebuilt it. you asked, I answered. welcome to America, give us 2 options, well make a 3'rd
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 Omega Blaze is obviously a regularOmega Blaze is obviously a regularOmega Blaze is obviously a regularOmega Blaze is obviously a regularOmega Blaze is obviously a regularOmega Blaze is obviously a regularOmega Blaze is obviously a regularOmega Blaze is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

D15b

1.5 blocks have a better rod stroke than the D16 blocks.

They rev noticeable faster than D16's with supporting mods (I had a b7/a6head-shit revved a lot faster than my current ZC block/a6 head that has a lightweight flywheel).

Quote:
- the difference in the JDM D15B VTEC is the crankshaft which has larger rod bearing journals (not larger mains like a D16) and uses the same rods as the D16s which results in a rod/stroke ratio of 1.62 which, for high rpm, is slightly better than the other D15s of 1.59 and a lot better the 1.52 of the D16s - the problem with this set-up is finding pistons other than the stock JDM D15B that work with the long rods - jlicrx
I personally would get the DOHC ZC because it's becoming a rarity, but the D15b just makes sense.

Less money, same power, more support ( parts, etc)
Omega Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

dohc zc hands down.

stock for stock, the dohc zc will DESTROY that d15b. Especially with a proper intake manifold

if prices are similar, forget the d15b.

Omega, your rev argument is strange. Ive directly replaced a d15b2 in a 90 4dr with a d16a6, keeping the same flywheel and clutch, and noticed no revving difference.

I did however notice the extra torque, and extra gas mileage. Which made the saturday afternoon and $100 spent so much sweeter. God I loved the early 2000's when D motors were actually priced appropriately

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I like the DOHC ZC, that's what i went with on my build, basically because it had the biggest capacity and the most power that i could mate to my 4wd trans.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

stock for stock, the dohc zc will DESTROY that d15b. Especially with a proper intake manifold
You mean something aftermarket like the skunk2 intake manifold? It will really help the engine ?(i would say for the price because they are somewhat pricey)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

d16z6, dohc ZCs are always talked up like they're the second coming, almost a B, etc., but all the fastest D's are z6 based.
not to mention you can get a B for about the same money as a dohc ZC these days
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylquebec View Post
You mean something aftermarket like the skunk2 intake manifold? It will really help the engine ?(i would say for the price because they are somewhat pricey)
people adapt d16y8 and d16z6 intake manifolds to them and gain noticeable power.

But like the post above this, a d16z6 is more wallet-friendly, and even if you get a really tired one, the rebuild is cheap

Build what you have!

Old 10-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Link to the dohc zc i may grab.
The more i look at it, the more it look clean.
What do you think?

JDM DOHC ZC ENGINE ONLY 1.6L 1992-1995 OBD1 HEAD AND BLOCK MOTOR | moteur, pièces de moteur | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji
Old 10-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Dohc zc, hands down, all day. imo, the chief reason you see more z6 builds, is because they are a dime a dozen.

The zc might be an odd ball, and ypull spend more money, but fuck is it worth it. Besides. ...who needs v tec when you have a zc powerband and torque
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
but all the fastest D's are z6 based.

....smh

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016, 08:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

If yall wanna get brutally honest, the best D setup will have a PM3 head due to how big of a camshaft it cam potentially accept versus all others.

Dohc ZC has the best baseline, and the HUGE advantage of separate camshaft timing ability.

I think the D15B (in my opinion) only has a place inside a 1st gen crx or 3rd gen civic, matched to a set of the closest gears and shortest final drive and the grippiest of tires lol

Build what you have!

Old 10-21-2016, 12:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

But Z6 head has bigger valves and ports, thus better flow potential.

Then again, my simple D15Beast7 skewed everything.

200K miles on the motor, 145 chp/121 whp Mustang dyno....and 53 mpg.

Now a tired D16A6/Y8 Mini-me setup, with close ratio ZC trans getting 48 mpg untuned....it might be the driver.

Forget HP, look at the TQ curves, D16 wins every time, esp. in a Wgonvanslug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2016, 03:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
not to mention you can get a B for about the same money as a dohc ZC these days
B wasnt an option because of the 4wd trans that need to be coupled with a D
Old 10-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylquebec View Post
B wasnt an option because of the 4wd trans that need to be coupled with a D
It would be a decent sized project, but you can go to complete CRV drivetrain.

Much MUCH more money of course, but you would be moving into much more usable torque and an okay bump in horsepower in return for still being at a 100% factory reliability outside of the metal work needed in the back

Build what you have!

Old 10-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
But Z6 head has bigger valves and ports, thus better flow potential.

Then again, my simple D15Beast7 skewed everything.

200K miles on the motor, 145 chp/121 whp Mustang dyno....and 53 mpg.

Now a tired D16A6/Y8 Mini-me setup, with close ratio ZC trans getting 48 mpg untuned....it might be the driver.

Forget HP, look at the TQ curves, D16 wins every time, esp. in a Wgonvanslug.
Doesnt the PM3 head allow an offset valve oversize? 2mm/1mm oversize on intake, and 1mm oversize for both exhaust, if necessary?

Also, I think if you go with a higher compression ratio, I dont think the exhaust valves really need any oversizing unless going pretty far beyond the average all motor setup. Do not quote me on that though

Build what you have!

Old 10-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Doesnt the PM3 head allow an offset valve oversize? 2mm/1mm oversize on intake, and 1mm oversize for both exhaust, if necessary?

Also, I think if you go with a higher compression ratio, I dont think the exhaust valves really need any oversizing unless going pretty far beyond the average all motor setup. Do not quote me on that though
Bigger valves doesn't mean more flow. START with the exhaust valves, then pay attention to intake manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

I just pick up the dohc zc. This engine is so clean, every bolt and pulley still have that shinny yellow look. Its crazy. Not a single hint of rust anywhere on the block or bracket. The oil pan is like a new. This engine look like a 20 000 miles one.
Only problem, is that the td43u dizzy is missing. After reading a lot on this, it look like the aftermarket unit are a waist of money. Is there anyone here who could source me an oem one?
Sorry i dont have 65 post so no access to the for sale/wanting adds. Ill show you pics of the engine soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in