20 Years Later... I finally bought and EK :).. sort of - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Talking 20 Years Later... I finally bought and EK :).. sort of

What's Gucci homeslices? lol

The name's Chewy and as the title states, 20 years later, I finally bought and EK.. well, EJ to be specific. I'm not new to the car scene by any means. I am however, new to modifying Hondas. I always wanted one since I was 19. I always was impressed with how the EK9 Type-R was built. It's a purpose driven solution for extreme cases of lead foot and the primal need to punish corners.

Long story short, a friend of as friend was building a B20 drag car of out a 1996 Honda Civic CX with 100K and some head issues. The car is super clean (coughyeahrightcough) save for some minor cosmetic issues. All the stickers on the car look brand new. The carpet is in good shape. The car was mostly taken apart because he was stripping the car for weight. Most of the engine bay was stripped and the engine was being prepped to be taken out. Did I mention that at the end of the day I paid $300 for the car? It came with a B20 motor set as well. Oh, and 17 inch wheels and tires. It was missing seats but that doesn't matter as I was going to replace the seats anyway.

Condition: Some minor dents here and there. The fenders and hood were trash.The headliner is no bueno. Pterodactyls have chewed on the sun visors so they will either go or I'll wrap them in some sort of fabric. There was definitely some sort of rodent living in the car because I found PILES of nuts and odd looking husks of some sort. Oddly enough, I never found a poop. Whatever it was, it was hygienic. Don't shit where you eat people. I digress.

Everything was dusty, especially the engine bay and the sills where the stock ground effects attach. I needed a new lower ball joint as the drivers side unit had failed completely and was reduced to goo. I ordered a cheap seat of Ebay stock replacement arms and ball joints as I'm not going to be racing this thing hard and the stock items will work fine for the time being. The exhaust was trash. So was the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Oh yeah, something was living those parts too.

So far I have the engine, trans, header, cat back, coilovers, mounts, seat, headlights, taillights, headlights, new oem replacement fenders, hood and I have stock replacement axles on the way. Anyway.. before I keep rambling, I hope to learn more about D series engines and their potential. I think I'm on the right place!!

Cheers,

Chewy

Click image for larger version

Name:	InPartsCivic.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	113345
My pile of stuff

Name:	someStuff (1).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	113353
Some other stuff

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	113361
And this thing D15B Non Vtec

Last edited by PosiChew; 09-30-2016 at 10:04 AM.
PosiChew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 N1ck is learning the way of the DN1ck is learning the way of the D

Looking forward to your progress!
N1ck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Removing B20 for a d15b no tec........I think we have a winner. Officially nominating for n00b of the year 2016.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

LoL.. I know. It seems rather backwards but I have future plans that involves a K series. I didn't want to modify the B20 and while it does have more power than the D15, it still wasn't worth it in my mind. The B20 is getting sold to a friend. The D that I got is super clean so I'm working with that for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Removing B20 for a d15b no tec........I think we have a winner. Officially nominating for n00b of the year 2016.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks!! Much appreciated. Pretty excited about the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ck View Post
Looking forward to your progress!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

nice pile ,,
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Guys guys guys.... YoNaka-nna beleive what I got in the mail today.. no seriously.. Yonaka-nna guess at all lol .. Still have more parts to buy!!

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	113545

Next is clutch kit, flywheel and axles. The axles I ordered never came in the mail. Not sure what brain I need for this thing. Didn't come with an ECU.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosiChew View Post

. Didn't come with an ECU.
get an adapter harness and a p06 ecu
Old 10-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Talking

i guess we're gonna be trading notes here and there regarding the mods i got myself a Concerto with a D16Z2 no-tec, and i'd ike to give it a few more hp's too!

i envy you, man! you got some tools and a shed. while i'm gonna have to start from scratch and buy all the tools i'll need for the setup. no biggie, i've got all the time. ^_^

Quote:
What's Gucci homeslices? lol

The name's Chewy and as the title states, 20 years later, I finally bought and EK.. well, EJ to be specific. I'm not new to the car scene by any means. I am however, new to modifying Hondas. I always wanted one since I was 19. I always was impressed with how the EK9 Type-R was built. It's a purpose driven solution for extreme cases of lead foot and the primal need to punish corners.

Long story short, a friend of as friend was building a B20 drag car of out a 1996 Honda Civic CX with 100K and some head issues. The car is super clean (coughyeahrightcough) save for some minor cosmetic issues. All the stickers on the car look brand new. The carpet is in good shape. The car was mostly taken apart because he was stripping the car for weight. Most of the engine bay was stripped and the engine was being prepped to be taken out. Did I mention that at the end of the day I paid $300 for the car? It came with a B20 motor set as well. Oh, and 17 inch wheels and tires. It was missing seats but that doesn't matter as I was going to replace the seats anyway.

Condition: Some minor dents here and there. The fenders and hood were trash.The headliner is no bueno. Pterodactyls have chewed on the sun visors so they will either go or I'll wrap them in some sort of fabric. There was definitely some sort of rodent living in the car because I found PILES of nuts and odd looking husks of some sort. Oddly enough, I never found a poop. Whatever it was, it was hygienic. Don't shit where you eat people. I digress.

Everything was dusty, especially the engine bay and the sills where the stock ground effects attach. I needed a new lower ball joint as the drivers side unit had failed completely and was reduced to goo. I ordered a cheap seat of Ebay stock replacement arms and ball joints as I'm not going to be racing this thing hard and the stock items will work fine for the time being. The exhaust was trash. So was the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Oh yeah, something was living those parts too.

So far I have the engine, trans, header, cat back, coilovers, mounts, seat, headlights, taillights, headlights, new oem replacement fenders, hood and I have stock replacement axles on the way. Anyway.. before I keep rambling, I hope to learn more about D series engines and their potential. I think I'm on the right place!!

Cheers,

Chewy

Attachment 113345
My pile of stuff

Attachment 113353
Some other stuff

Attachment 113361
And this thing D15B Non Vtec
115666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
get an adapter harness and a p06 ecu
Forgive my N00bness. So the adapter will allow me to mate it to the OBD2 harness correct?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidXXVII View Post
i guess we're gonna be trading notes here and there regarding the mods i got myself a Concerto with a D16Z2 no-tec, and i'd ike to give it a few more hp's too!

i envy you, man! you got some tools and a shed. while i'm gonna have to start from scratch and buy all the tools i'll need for the setup. no biggie, i've got all the time. ^_^
Nice!! Yeah, I'm always down to collaborate with ppl. Especially since I know jack about building Hondas. Yeah, I lucked out with the house I'm renting. Lots of room for cars and working on cars.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Question

So this and this?

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	113569

Name:	adapt.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	113577
Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
yup,
just make sure you get the right adapter harness for your car ,it should be obd2a ,as long as the last owner didn't change it...
Old 10-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
yup,
just make sure you get the right adapter harness for your car ,it should be obd2a ,as long as the last owner didn't change it...

Nice.. Thanks!! I'll be ordering those bits shortly. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain. I've been reading a ton on here and I just want to be certain of my choices. It is my understanding that I should get a Z6 intake mani and have it cut open and ported?

I imagine that the ECU will need to be chipped to work with the items I got or should it just be plug and play?
Old 10-07-2016, 03:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Waiting for parts!!! Axles, Clutch, Flywheel, Seatrail, ECU, ECU OBD2A adapter. Still need a seat and to decide on a steering wheel. I have a Grip Royal Woodie but I'm not sure it will go with the vibe I'm going for. We'll see.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Ok so I got all my parts and decided to take it to a friends shop to have the engine put in. He has switched over several items from the old engine to the new one as some things didn't line up. I need to get an intake manifold. I want to confirm that I should get a D16Z6 intake manifold with throttle body. I have a Non Vtec JDM D15B. Can someone confirm this please? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited by PosiChew; 03-14-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by posichew View Post
i have a non vtec jdm b15b. can someone confirm this please? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
jdm b15b lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 04:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Z6 intake will fit a d15b and work fine.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAY View Post
jdm b15b lol
Typo lol
Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Z6 intake will fit a d15b and work fine.
Much appreciated BeerDrinkin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in