Best place to get quality tools affordably - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Best place to get quality tools affordably

anyone? I've bought some tools around me, most don't seem to be too quality
Mang0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

sears, snap-on, google.com
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Looking back, I would've bought all grey pneumatic sockets instead of the mack, matco, snap on stuff
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

harborfreight.

Everything you will ever need as a mechanic aside from electric and air operated tools. (even then 1/2 of most of the harbor freight stuff works pretty well.) The only thing i would ever buy from snapon would be ratchets and special sockets/tools. such as pitman arm sockets, even then i would just go straight to OTC and buy it from them for half the price.

snapon electronic tools are a waste of money and often down right shit for how much you pay for them, aside from the digital torque wrench which is absurdly overpriced but does work well i wouldnt buy a single electric tool from snapon.

it is downright sickening to see some of these snapon dealers making six figure incomes off of mechanics, and all they do is order a tool and hand it to you so you can go make money and have dem shiny ass name brand tools yo. This is just my bitter opinion though.

Last edited by cervan; 09-23-2016 at 12:25 AM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

to be honest, I've been using Kobalt from Lowes for the past 6 years and they're still holding up! Nice heavy build quality with a lifetime Warranty. Not CHEAP but also not EXPENSIVE as well. Plus, they offer "mechanic kits" online that come your basic essentials. SAE or Metric i believe.
Djruel01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

harbor freight

lol.. but really. I have pick up some really good stuff from them. And most of there tools come with a warranty and you can swap it out if it breaks.

Other then that snap on is pretty good but alot if over price.
Ive used NAPA for a while, since i got my tools from my school (back in 2004) and most of the tools are still working great.

Order a few other no name brand tools that i wouldnt find anywhere else from ebay.

Had no problems with those.

I guess it all depends on what you get.
I only had huskey and cheap dollar store tools not be size correctly

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I like craftsmen for decent price and quality but buying tools for home and work I can't always always afford to buy craftsmen stuff so I buy harbor freight tools to. Like stated harbor freight has a good warranty/return policy (kind of like Walmart, they will take anything back). Their air stuff is usually a little under powered vs name brand stuff though. Don't buy pipe wrenches from harbor freight thought, they don't like to bite alot of times and I've had them get stuck a few times (at least the steel orange ones)

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

harbor freight makes some really really good stuff and then some really bad stuff.
Just check reviews on things because the good stuff is about a quarter of what they should cost.
Their ratchets have been holding up for be just fine, also almost all their air tools Ive had for the last 10 years have been perfect. Especially their impact wrenches.

I only own a 4 or 5 snap on ratchets and 2 are skipping gears. But snap on usually send you new ones for free

Last edited by v8killaz; 09-24-2016 at 06:43 PM.
v8killaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I wouldnt trade my snap on ratchets, 3/8ths extensions+sockets, and combo wrenches for the world. Also the hex bits seem not to break even close to as much as other brands.

With that being said, i tend to cheap out on 1/2 sockets, especially impact sockets. Ive had my sets of 1/2" chinese impacts for YEARS and never had an issue. I also cheap out on air tools all the time. It usually pays off. $20 for a right angle drill vs $250 off the snapon truck is a good savings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2016, 04:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

My toolbox at work it filled with snap-on, matco, cornwell because I beat and abuse my tools all day long and can't afford a failure.

My toolbox at home is filled with harbour freight pro series and kobalt tools and they hold up just fine.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Yeah I agree with Kobalt, been steering away from Harbor Freight on heavy duty stuff, I have broken too many of their sockets wrenches. For sand paper, small wiring stuff, gloves, and little hand tools in a pinch on the cheap though....

My Kobalts have been abused and/are held/holding up well, and they are backed by a no questions asked lifetime guarantee. I snap the 3/8 drive off of it, get a new one. Drop it in water and the gears seize, new one.....

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
and they are backed by a no questions asked lifetime guarantee. I snap the 3/8 drive off of it, get a new one. Drop it in water and the gears seize, new one.....
That's pretty much every tool manufacturer.

Get the tool that feels the best in your hands for the price that you are comfortable with.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Harbor freight is really hit or miss, as was said read reviews. I have a broken 3/8" craftsman (need to bring it in) and stanley ratchet in my toolbox and grabbed the harbor freight one for $10 because I needed something that day about a year ago: 3/8" Heavy Duty Composite Ratchet

It feels like plastic, but it feels and works great and has been my go to ratchet for over a year now. I have not even bothered to have my craftsman one repaired/replaced since it broke over a year ago.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

sears and craftman tools great, dewalt and Milwaukie drills are great now
00ekAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Unless you're a professional mechanic, you shouldn't even think about snap on.

I still have nothing but good things to say about craftsman, even if a lot of the stuff is made in China now.

Kobalt seems to have a similar warranty to craftsman so I guess it's just a matter of finding what's cheaper.

Still wouldn't touch HF stuff. Product quality is way too inconsistent.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
endo_bobo

Rep Power: 38 sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to sir_bobos

If you are a backyard mechanic just go to the pawn shop and find a busted Craftsman socket wrench and a bag of sockets, under $10. Warranty replace the wrench. Screw driver set, wrench set from Harbor Freight,$5-$10. Shouldn't need much more than that.

I did never regret going with DeWalt for my power drill and impact driver. A friends Milwaukee was kinda like their beer, a little weak.

Last edited by sir_bobos; 09-30-2016 at 11:29 AM.
sir_bobos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

detail tools, like allen, hex, triple quare, etc.. go for a real brand name. Snap-On is usually stronger than most, but not always providing the exact tool design that you need.

I use HarborFreight exclusively for air impact sockets and impacts themselvves.

my $77 earthquake? orange 1/2inch air gun embarassed MATCO and SNAPON versions of the last few generations. SNAPONs new lineup is hard to beat for shear grunt though.

Buy a brand name for your 1/4inch ratchet wrenches. also for 3/8s if you use them often. 1/2inch? harborfreight. havent broken one yet. Broke several 3/8 though.

Short term: sockets are hard to fuck up. HF is the way to go.

anything that has small moving parts, like the 1/4 stuff, use brand name

electronics, skip HF completely if durability is in mind.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in