brand new head gasket question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default brand new head gasket question

quick question. I know i can re-use arp head studs if they are within spec, but if i torqued down a brand new oem head gasket between a machined head and block and i need to take the head back off, would i be able to reuse the head gasket? no, the engine hasn't been started.
d16y8
Djruel01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 SirNoobsAlot is worse than Satan's assholeSirNoobsAlot is worse than Satan's asshole

Since you haven't started it POSSIBLY, but I would DEFINATELY copper spray it. Biggest question is though what brand head gasket?Style? etc. if its Fel-Pro just go warranty. lol
SirNoobsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

its Honda oem

Old 09-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Don't copper spray anything, and you can reuse the gasket if it was only torqued down and not heat cycled. Copper spray will only cost extra money and won't stop a leak from happening, as long as everything is straight it will seal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 SirNoobsAlot is worse than Satan's assholeSirNoobsAlot is worse than Satan's asshole

Hmm... torqued it to 60 ft lbs? I think the correct question to ask you is... Would you be willing to take it back apart if it doesn't work? If not, then go get a new one. If yes, then we all will know the answer to your question in about 150-300 miles if it does or doesn't over heat. I personally never reused gaskets, never works out well for me. I wouldn't want to do it if it was me. Just the gasket isn't that expensive and certainly not worth the frustration of being stranded possibly on the highway somewhere..
Old 09-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Don't copper spray? lol okay (: it transfers heat and it makes it able to handle more heat. Ask me how I know? ive done it, lets you be bale to run it hotter before it starts to leak. I guess its preference. I live by it on new gaskets. Theres even other threads where other people swear by it. $6 for a can of copper spray. $6 is worth the extra reassurance to me.

Last edited by SirNoobsAlot; 09-15-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

That spray is great for metal gaskets that dont have a viton seal.

Honda Gaskets have a viton seal which does a damn good job of holding together.

but, its your engine, do what you like.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

^^^^^ That I didn't know, Thanks for the info! I've always used fel-pro due to their warranty and easy to find. Rep for explaining that Esotericimage .

Last edited by SirNoobsAlot; 09-15-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

It'll be fine if it hasn't been heat cycled. I've asked the same question, got the same answer, did the same thing, and never had an issue.

Believe Bone even re-used a heat cycled gasket before and didn't have any leaks.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

cool, thanks for the feedback! Also talked to my buddy that's a tech at Honda for some years now that's built boosted engines on the side. Said its cool to re-use it. He even mentioned he's used one that's ran for just a couple miles and re-used and had no problems. But also, using a heat cycled one is up to you of course and may not yield the same results.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Always heard no.
There tq gasketes. You tq them and they flatten out/crush more.
I wouldnt reused one even if there wasnt any heat cycles.

And copper spray isnt really needed on these gasket.
I use it before without problems. But its not needed so i stop using it.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in