Need help figuring out how many psi to run to get 200hp - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Need help figuring out how many psi to run to get 200hp

Motor is a stock d16z6 in eg civic

Turbo is Garrett 18g

Right now the turbosmart IWG is set to 10psi which I think is too much for my stock motor. *I'm going to order a new spring for it but I don't know what rate to order it at.

So how do I estimate how much HP the turbo will produce per psi
cityofcaterpillars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I know of at least 4 different 18G garrett turbos.

find out which one you actually have

also, boost pressure does not equal power. you might make 160whp at 10 on a certain turbo and 180whp at 25psi on the same turbo.

you should focus more on knowing the exact parts you have. That will aid you in looking up said parts to get a much better idea of information

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Get the compressor map for the turbo you have and go from there.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/force...g-dummies.html
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D

Greddy lists a TD05SH-18G and a TD05H-18G. Im trying now to find the difference.

I'm having trouble finding compressor maps for either of them
Old 09-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I would run all the psi needed.
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

So I found this compressor map for an 18G

So if Im reading this right the turbo should make 413HP @ 14.7PSI?

So if Im looking for 200hp the turbo should make that at 285 CFM?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18G_overlay.gif
Views:	44
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	113090  
Old 09-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcaterpillars View Post
So if Im reading this right the turbo should make 413HP @ 14.7PSI?
lololololol

Read this. It should get you in the ball park on what you need to know. Oh and turbos don't make horsepower, they pump air. There are so many factors that go into the final number that is horsepower.

My website:
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

that 18G is basically useless for your goal. it will do 200hp yes, but it wants a bigger motor

nothing nothing nothing vtec, nothing nothing BOOOST

at least it will keep the motor alive by not boosting below 3k rpms

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Im perfectly fine with it not making crazy power at first. I'm learning to tune with this setup so I am fine with it being conservative. I'm building a motor over the winter so I can use what I learn to do that one right
Old 09-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by keel_hauled View Post
lololololol

Read this. It should get you in the ball park on what you need to know. Oh and turbos don't make horsepower, they pump air. There are so many factors that go into the final number that is horsepower.
Thank you I will read that. Probably 50 times till I get it
Old 09-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

example ::

psi means nothing.

15psi from a t28 is not the same 15psi from a 6262

1) teach yourself how to read a compressor map
2) remember how to do math
3) do the maths and plot points on compressor maps
4) see what compressor map gives you the answers you need

http://turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/fig1.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t3-50g.gif
Views:	109
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	113098  
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

ok so clearly I may not have made the best choice on turbo size. What are some good articles to read up on to actually learn what I need to know about turbos?

I know it's a little late since I have already purchased the turbo so help me learn
Old 09-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

you didn't read my post?

How to read a turbo compressor map

How To Read A Compressor Map - Turbo Magazine

Learn how to read a compressor map

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...compressor_map

Compressor Flow Maps and Calculations

Understanding Compressor Maps ? Sizing A Turbocharger

with spoon feeding, comes red dots
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

I dont want spoon fed I just want pointed in the right direction. Which yes you did in the previous post. I just keep getting conflicting information and it makes learning a bit difficult.

Everyone on here is saying that the turbo will be to big for a D-series yet it's a D-series kit so I don't get that. I have the dyno chart from the motor this turbo was on and it appears that it spools around 4200-4500 RPM.

I apologize for asking dumb questions but I respect all of you're opinions when it comes to weeding through all of the shit on the internet
Old 09-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

it finally spools at 4500 or it starts to spool? you can always sell the stuff you have, or trade it for something that would work for you.

get out your pen, paper, and calculator. see you in a few days

koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 09-12-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

I'm new to this stuff as well and find it just as complicated. Even the top car manufacturers end up doing some of the development empirically.

My engineering background says that:-

a) for a given gas density, the turbo will spool and spin according to the feed gas pressure, flow rate and velocity ... less the effect of the resistance of the system, including the output stages.

b) for a given intake air density, the turbo will deliver air pressure, flow rate and velocity (less the effect etc) varying with the spin speed ... if the intake system can provide enough air in the first place

c) for a given turbo output, possibly measured in volume per time, the engine will theoretically deliver a set power output provided that it has sufficient fuel at the right time and is not hampered by mechanical components that aren't up to the stresses

In other words, your question cannot be answered without knowing all the variables!

In your situation, I would have been tempted to start the thread with the question "Has anyone fitted a Garrett 18g to a D16Z6?"

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Didnt read all the comments but i know what they are saying.

But what i have to say is this.
Buy a small spring and a boost controller.
Hit the dyno and up the boost until you get your power goal.

Therr is not psi to hp chart.
Different tuners will run different AFR. That alone will change power output.
Not to mention timing, IC size and routing, exhaust, heat soak and condition of the motor and turbo.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Knowledge attained. Great success.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
In your situation, I would have been tempted to start the thread with the question "Has anyone fitted a Garrett 18g to a D16Z6?"
A wiser choice would have been to search google for that query and read the years of experiences already posted across the web instead of waiting for someone else to show you the answer.

But as is proven time and time again, that kind of initiative and critical thinking (lol) isn't something people nowadays seem to be capable of.

Last edited by Chrisfrom1986; 09-12-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Get yourself an IHI turbo from a turbo mustang. You'll hit 200hp, no doubt.
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in