Cracked d16y8 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Cracked d16y8

So I just got a 1998 ex couple for free. The bad thing is it had a bad head gasket or so I thought. I pulled the engine and found one of the coolant jackets is cracked on the block. I've done 20 or so head jobs on civic d series and this is the second time I've seen this on a d16 last time it was a y7 and I had a spare short block so it was no problem. The problem now is finding a y8 block. My question is will a non vtec block y7 block work with a y8 head? If so will it affect it in anyway? Also had anybody has any luck getting theirs welded at a machine shop? I don't want to replace with a used block and then 50k later have the same problem so is this common?
BowtieSBC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

how much work have you put into searching for an answer? I can almost bet you that it has been covered close to 10k times, most of those on this site alone

koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

So there is a thread about d series engines cracking at the water jacket in engine block or welding an aluminum dseries? Funny because I dint find any googled it but found none. I found plenty on people swapping blocks between series of engines for builds but none for a stock or near stock application. Or are you just that guy that likes to be first to reply to a forum saying you should search? Because maybe if you searched yourself you would find that most threads that have been answered have all been answered by some smart guy saying search. Forget the block interchange if you have to. My main concern is success welding this block or reoccurring failures of cracking on stock engines. Funny I can almost bet there is 10k guys just filling up the google pages trying to act smart like you.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

OK so you've done 20 head gasket jobs and seen 2 cracked blocks? I think you answered your own question about how common it is. Next yes y7 block will work, literally probably has been covered 10k times. Welding, why would you when blocks are a dime a dozen and cost probably less.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

His response was in line with your questions not your side story of how it happened. So if you want to forget about whether or not it works and what the differences are if it does then the answer is these blocks are a dime a dozen and not worth welding and causing more damage.

Find a y8 and hope it works or do the research and stop wasting time.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

The reason for wanting to weld is to fix a weak spot on a potentially reoccurring problem on these engines. Nowhere else have I seen somebody have crack on that spot when I looked it up online which makes me believe it may be a fluke not a common problem. I ask because in most engine community forums there's engine builders and was hoping somebody had fixed a crack with a weld and how long it later. I don't want to get another block with 100k miles and hope it doesn't crack also. And how would welding cause more damage?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

the cracks form only after someone is overheating the fuck out of it.

dont bother repairing.

when Slo-EG8 told you to search, you should make an additional effort

if you do the BASICS and look at a honda partnumber, you will find the d16y7 and d16y8 blocks have the same part number in some of the years, indicating yes, it is swappable.

dude, research starts with finding a method. My personal method is looking up part numbers, both OEM and 3rd party.

It is how I can verify if something is truly interchangeable.

I get satisfaction from not having to open a bunch of threads, even when Im working on cars nearly everyday and come across obstacles pretty regularily

the hardest part is finding a method for yourself. once found, its super duper easy and stress free.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieSBC View Post
...I've done 20 or so head jobs...

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in