Dumb question but this is my first civic - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Dumb question but this is my first civic

Ok, so does the temp gauge never get above barely warm or something or did someone swap in a 160 degree t stat before i got it?

Its like in the operating range about 1/4 or 1/3 the way up, all my other cars sit in the middle w a stock temp tstat

Only reason i ask is ive seen 2 youtube videos w the temp gauge at the same place, and my fan kicks on at idle from time to time

Last edited by evotec1; 09-10-2016 at 12:11 PM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Ej8Kevin is worse than Satan's assholeEj8Kevin is worse than Satan's assholeEj8Kevin is worse than Satan's asshole

Yeah man its normal for a civic, ive had 2 civic in the past and they are exactly like that.
Ej8Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

No its not normal noob. The gauge should be halfway or its not at operating temp period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

If a Civic gauge gets to 1/2 way marknit is overheating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Can't say I've had that experience. I've been in cars that were barely off the cold mark up to 1/3 on the gauge and not up to operating temp still running cold start enrichment. Mine cars personally have always been 1/2 on gauge.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Ok, i was just worried i was staying too cold and was leaving closed loop off the table
Old 09-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

1/2 = 220-225
Top mark = 245-250
Pegged = what water?

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Oh shit i better tell my buddy, he runs jdm h22 on usdm auto tranny d16 radiator, says it "almost never" goes past halfway. Thanks for the good info
Old 09-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

It's a Honda ... half-ish is about right.

My experiences have been:-

Civic D16Z6 auto = gauge a needle-width below half
The same engine fitted to a DB9 Integra (manual) = same gauge reading
Civic coupe D16Y7 manual = gauge a needle-width above half
Prelude H22A5 = gauge almost exactly half (2 cars the same)
Accord H22A7 = gauge approx. half plus or minus a needle width (and only significantly higher when I blew the head gasket!)

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

He says it ran at 50% before and after swap, i guess ill justswap in a stock temp fail open unit and see what it does
Old 09-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

The sending unit for the gauge is more than likely faulty, swap it asap....
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Nahhh because it moves in proportion to airflow and use and i can tell when the tstat opens. I can look up a test, and maybe clean up the connections today but idk.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

97 Acura CL F22B1 sits at just below Half
92 Civic Sedan D16Y8 motor swap sits 1/3 to half
12 Wifes Odyssey J35A7 rides same as Acura

I would question my sedan more then the other two, it should show warmer, but with all my wiring issues and other bullshyt I am surprised it worked at all.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Stock temp gauge (92-95 esp) doesn't move from 150-210 degrees, same "deadspot" as the fuel level gauge at 3/4 tank.

This is proper gauge level....

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Old 09-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thats dead nuts where mine sits, thanks for the pics and peace of mind
Old 09-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

grill opening was 80% blocked off as well. When my old D15Beast7 was on a mileage run, I couldn't keep temps up where I wanted them, I had a separate water temp gauge to compare with.

Quote:
Old 09-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

*not my car*

Im confused. if it sits like this, or just slightly off of parallel that means its running hotter than it should?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Asshole

That's the normal temp. They just printed the gauge face offset a bit so the needle ended up being straight.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

whew. makes me feel better, but now I still want to go check coolant levels
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Asshole

Si cluster in your ej? If so very nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in