What is the most cost effective swap for my civic? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 thatslowej9 is worse than Satan's assholethatslowej9 is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What is the most cost effective swap for my civic?

I have a 95 dx 5 speed, I have a spare si trans that's rebuilt with only 30k on it. I want to swap a d15b vtec jdm motor, but I would like input on whats going to be a better plan. Is there a better motor for somewhere within the 1500 price range that would handle 250 whp and being driven hard?
thatslowej9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Sure.

My website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 thatslowej9 is worse than Satan's assholethatslowej9 is worse than Satan's asshole
Default Im also confused on what will need to be changed

I wanted to build my car with the jdm d15b vtec motor which makes 128 bhp but I don't know what I'm going to need to change other than just the motor for my car. ecu? motor mounts? I wouldn't think motor mounts because it is the same displacement motor, but I don't know at all what new stuff I'm going to need going from a d15b7 to a d15b.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Just throw an a6 cam on ur head following those write ups and swap in the tranny. Itll be fun. Hell just the tranny is fun w 90 hp go. now. Swap it in quick and see, we'll wait. U can do it in like a few hours if ur good or like a weekend if its ur first time.

If someone gave me 150 bucks id swap their tranny so ask around maybe someone will do it for u super cheap.

Then get a second running motor as a spare and buy a 50 shot.

Edit: Hell then for the money u got get a third spare to build w ls rods and set it up for nitrous as u get parts over time. U wont blow 2 motors anywhere near overnight on a 50 shot if u do it right

Edit v2: u know, j swaps are the most cost effective and reliable way to make BIG BIG POWER BRO

Last edited by evotec1; 09-07-2016 at 04:22 PM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

could have sworn we've had this conversation

SEARCH NOOB! DO SOME READING
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 09-07-2016 at 05:35 PM.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

why do people bother with the single stage d15b when the d16z6 is faster and better in every way? cheaper, easier to get, parts available here, cheaper, better, parts easier to get, cheaper, better............

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

There is no replacement for displacement. I have never understood the appeal of d15s when d16s are not really any more expensive.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 N1ck is learning the way of the DN1ck is learning the way of the D

I'll think the appeal over the D15B VTEC is the low miles of a JDM motor.
N1ck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Having a sub 1600 cc motor is cool if ur into berg cup like me and other euro classes. If there were parts in the us id be going smaller than 1.5.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Id rather have a 300k mile d16z6 than a 30k mile d15b

the d16z6 will probably run better if the valve guides and stem seals have been attended to at any point, and LMA's are not ground off yet by 2muchVTAX

Build what you have!

Old 09-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotec1 View Post
Just throw an a6 cam on ur head following those write ups and swap in the tranny. Itll be fun. Hell just the tranny is fun w 90 hp go. now. Swap it in quick and see, we'll wait. U can do it in like a few hours if ur good or like a weekend if its ur first time.

If someone gave me 150 bucks id swap their tranny so ask around maybe someone will do it for u super cheap.

Then get a second running motor as a spare and buy a 50 shot.

Edit: Hell then for the money u got get a third spare to build w ls rods and set it up for nitrous as u get parts over time. U wont blow 2 motors anywhere near overnight on a 50 shot if u do it right

Edit v2: u know, j swaps are the most cost effective and reliable way to make BIG BIG POWER BRO
will I need to get my car tuned after doing a cam swap? and also I am looking at swaps because of how old my motor is and mileage, I need to be prepared to have it done when my car gives out.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

mileage is just a number.

My old d15b2 had 337k miles on it when sold. I bought the car with it around 80 or 90k miles.

I beat the piss out of that thing every day. It survived blowing nearly a dozen transmissions being stupid, doing reverse drops, overrevving and hitting the wrong gear fucking around on back roads.

it was my first car, and it did not suffer any engine malfunction. compression was still within 5psi of oem spec, it didnt burn any noticable amount of oil even on 4k intervals, and it got a 6monthly valve lash adjustment and yearly spark plugs

Build what you have!

Old 09-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslowej9 View Post
will I need to get my car tuned after doing a cam swap? and also I am looking at swaps because of how old my motor is and mileage, I need to be prepared to have it done when my car gives out.
please don't make me ban you.

stop talking, start searching and reading.

it would make more sense to baby the motor you have and build the spare. youre putting the cart in front of the horse. why not find a good z6/a6 and send it off to a machine shop and have it worked over and ready to be dropped in?
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
gonzo

My car is my first car, and I am trying to get the most cost effective speed without blowing it up yet. I love driving it, and I taught myself to drive stick. It's just not as fast as I feel like it should be, it might be that my whole time on my permit id been driving a boosted Volvo and a 2001 gt mustang, but I want it to go faster. The cam idea sounds good, and I would love to, but do I need to swap internals other than the cam? I'm really a noob I'm only 16 and votech is only teaching me so much
Old 09-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
gonzo

and I'm not trying to spark problems, ive been reading about everything for upgrading a civic and doing work to it for months, but it isn't making sense and I am asking for help
Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslowej9 View Post
My car is my first car, and I am trying to get the most cost effective speed without blowing it up yet. I love driving it, and I taught myself to drive stick. It's just not as fast as I feel like it should be, it might be that my whole time on my permit id been driving a boosted Volvo and a 2001 gt mustang, but I want it to go faster. The cam idea sounds good, and I would love to, but do I need to swap internals other than the cam? I'm really a noob I'm only 16 and votech is only teaching me so much
if you would do a simple google search for a6 cam/head swap youll learn. you have yet to make any attempt in posting that you have ANY knowledge of the questions youre asking. you want the simple answers. you want to blow up your first car in the easiest way possible, but don't want to take the time to figure it out. want to grenade it, throw a 150 wet shot of nitrous at it. bam, power and rods exiting the block. then you get to park the car in the yard/garage/driveway, while youre 16yr old self attempts to find enough money for an engine swap/parts/machine work/whatever other wild hair you get up your ass.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
gonzo

I've been researching, but it isn't telling me what I'm asking. I don't know what I'm going to need extra past just a cam if I swap it out. I already have it parked in my driveway because its got unbalanced tires and I don't wanna take risks driving it too much. I work daily after school and weekends to make more money for this car and ive got around 300 set aside atm, which I'm adding to. I want to have my car somewhat fast, but I want it to be safely done. I have no places to help me out with my work so this forum is what I'm coming to for help
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

https://www.d-series.org/forums/searc...rchid=13977681

for your lack of searching skills.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D

If you are only 16 and this is your first car stop trying to make it faster. Take it to some autocross events and learn how to drive it first. Make friends with the people there and they will teach you. That's what I did when I got my first car and I learned really quick that you don't need alot of power to have fun.

The last thing people need is another kid trying to go fast with no idea how to handle a car.
cityofcaterpillars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I don't know where you pulled the 250whp number, but for your experience and budget, a D-series isn't it. Hell, getting to 250whp boosted and keeping it reliable isn't something that you can just throw a minimum amount of parts at and trust that it will be there for you every morning.

The cars that D-series engines came in were never meant to be world beaters in any category, but they do the job of a fun runabout very well. ...and hell, with some money, time, and parts thrown at them, they can get pretty high on the list in whatever genre of motorsport you want to run...but you aren't going to get there without an investment in experience and monies.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in