New exhaust, custom valve for back pressure adjustable and sound level - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Charlstw is learning the way of the DCharlstw is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New exhaust, custom valve for back pressure adjustable and sound level

So recently I went through a real weird issue with my crank snapping during commute, while going a merely 65mph on the highway, as I was slowing down for the exit, it just snap and the car went dead. Took about a whole month to get the engine back together with some high compression builds, pushed the cr up to 12:1, it needed a new exhaust, so I went to see some fabricators to get this done
not sure if its good looking, but it works, custom mid pipe, and muffler, specifically lifted higher for better ground clearance, for shitty roads here in Taiwan.. and custom valve controlled by vacuum with an on and off remote switch, basically I can manually set it open or close, while its open its completely straight thru the tail pipe, while closed it will circle back to go thru a smaller exit with lots of silencing, hence increase back pressure.

I'm not quite a exhaust guru, but that was what the shop explained to me while it was getting done, and it seem to make a difference driving in stop and go traffic with better low end torque, definitely super quiet too,and when its opened, it sounds super loud and mean at WOT.. however, I still get this metal clinging sound at 3-4k rpm range, everything goes away pass 4k.. checked the heat shield, it wasnt it, can a header make that noise?
Charlstw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

sounds like its just vibrating against something
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Charlstw is learning the way of the DCharlstw is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
sounds like its just vibrating against something
hmm, if its vibrating against something, shouldnt I feel it inside the car with the exhaust resting on some parts of the car?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

my exhaust has a super nasty rattle/buzz at certain rpms.

its caused by hitting the inside corner of the "s" tunnel.

push your foot against the exhaust tip and have someone rev it and see if the nosie goes away.

if it does, its a matter of tracking down what its touching or close enough to make resonate with the sound

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
my exhaust has a super nasty rattle/buzz at certain rpms.

its caused by hitting the inside corner of the "s" tunnel.

push your foot against the exhaust tip and have someone rev it and see if the nosie goes away.

if it does, its a matter of tracking down what its touching or close enough to make resonate with the sound
I see, let me try that later tonight and see if i can track down anything
Old 09-05-2016, 03:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

did you retune or use higher octane fuel after installing the high compression engine?
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2016, 03:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

^^ right
You may have knock going on man. 12:1 with 91 or less and no tune/ shitty tune is asking for trouble.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

It also might be the cutout valve itself, those things are not known for being super stable.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Def sounds like it is hitting some where while under load. You said the muffler is tucked up higher for clearance, like Matt suggested, move the exhaust side to side and see if its contacting. I had a custom exhaust do that, but it fixed itself eventually lol

The others made a good point about the valve as well, some are known to rattle.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
did you retune or use higher octane fuel after installing the high compression engine?
Hey, the car is running on 98 octane in Asia, probably equivalent to the 94 in the states. knocking is still happening but only when i engage the clutch too roughly which brings rpm too low. I'm getting the car tuned very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
^^ right
You may have knock going on man. 12:1 with 91 or less and no tune/ shitty tune is asking for trouble.
yeah, I do experience it a bit, but the sound coming from the exhaust is definitely not knock, since if I really hammer the pedal the sound seem to go away ==

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
It also might be the cutout valve itself, those things are not known for being super stable.
right, I was suspecting the valve as well, its designed kinda like the throttle body style valve, and it sits right after the straight through muffler, I can only imagine the flow of the exhaust hitting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
Def sounds like it is hitting some where while under load. You said the muffler is tucked up higher for clearance, like Matt suggested, move the exhaust side to side and see if its contacting. I had a custom exhaust do that, but it fixed itself eventually lol

The others made a good point about the valve as well, some are known to rattle.
I will check it out tonight and see if its actually the exhaust hitting, or the valve itself hope its something simple tho
Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlstw View Post
Hey, the car is running on 98 octane in Asia, probably equivalent to the 94 in the states. knocking is still happening but only when i engage the clutch too roughly which brings rpm too low. I'm getting the car tuned very soon.
98 RON is likely similar to our US 91 OCT. I would look into the possibility of knock if it doesn't turn out to be the exhaust physically contacting another part of the car.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
98 RON is likely similar to our US 91 OCT. I would look into the possibility of knock if it doesn't turn out to be the exhaust physically contacting another part of the car.
oh dear, I will take a closer look at it then, maybe get that fuel comp in there first
Old 09-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

A simple hammer will fix most interference issues lol

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in