Engine Building Advice - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2016, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Engine Building Advice

Hi guys,

My D17 turbo started knocking so I'm looking to replace the motor. This motor is junk in many ways, so I'm not going to consider rebuilding it.

Would you guys choose to buy a motor from a JDM importer or pulling it from a junkyard?
btruong968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Have you done the research for the motor swap and the ancillary items you need to perform them?

Then add the numbers up and do a cost comparison and see if it is faster, cheaper and easier to rebuild and upgrade internals, or swap ecus, rewire some stuff, find said motor(ship it), mounts, exhaust, intake, shift assembly etc etc etc. The motor may need to be rebuilt as well, at least opened to be trusted from almost any source.

I know it's an old link, I am lazy and didnt want to go further down the returned query form google. Its a good jumping off point when faced with your decision. Start at post 6. Personally I have three Hondas in project mode, one is my DD. Just finished new window wiring. My 92.....dont ask, and an 89 awd rt I am ditching, its an auto and too far gone.

The best route is rebuild your motor, get a cam, and tune it for more enjoyment then you had before. If I was going K, I would by a whole new rolling chassis. Just my .02.

what you got? K-swap or Boosted D17 - Honda-Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I hear good things from hmotorsonline.com ... you could find your self a new D-series motor on there. Otherwise ... go whole hog and do a K swap. I think the EM (?) likes the RSX front clip.

How much of the work are/can you do(ing) yourself. This might be the mitigating factor. R&R + rebuild labor could put you out quite a bit, while the labor for removal of old and installation/inspection of new motor might be slightly cheaper. Best bet call a few tuners/mechanics/engine builders in town and get quotes on the labor (if not performing yourself). Then price out parts. Spreadsheets are your friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

hmotorsonline has d17 for $699
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

From the little experience I have, I ripped a whole motor with tranny out of the junkyard ($360) in an afternoon and I've been rebuilding for the past couple months. Granted I did a full tear down and building with new parts. If you find a good pick from the junkyard as far as nothing grenaded, I think it's probably the cheaper route if you plan on just "cleaning the motor up"; as far as full disassembly and cleaning all the carbon up off the pistons and valves, new rings, hone the walls, deck the block. I was able to do all that within a couple weeks. and your not really replacing any parts other than gaskets and seals.... If you have the time and tools to do it, I'd do it for the sole reason of learning and doing it yourself. Good luck!
Djruel01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in