Improving stock Z6 intake manifold - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Improving stock Z6 intake manifold

Is removing the flash from the intake ports a good idea? I read that making them too smooth is bad for atomizing and I read that it doesn't make a difference.

I'm also going to get a b-series throttle body and port match the manifold for that.

Is there anything else I can do to the stock manifold to improve it?
cityofcaterpillars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I wouldn't waste your time on the larger TB. Your engine currently doesn't outflow the stock TB, and will likely not ever outflow the stock TB.

The only thing a larger TB will net you is less resolution in throttle application/modulation.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post

The only thing a larger TB will net you is less resolution in throttle application/modulation.
I don't understand this last part. Would that be a bad thing?

This would be more for a learning experience than anything. I didn't think the bigger throttle body would do much. If it will hurt performance I won't do it.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

If you really want to do something to the mani...i would hone it and do the TB swap u speak of...i did this to my z6 and couldnt tell a difference...so unless u have major work i wouldnt waste my time...
ChuecoEh2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yeah I think I'm just going to clean it up maybe paint it and call it a day.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcaterpillars View Post
I don't understand this last part. Would that be a bad thing?

This would be more for a learning experience than anything. I didn't think the bigger throttle body would do much. If it will hurt performance I won't do it.
It's not going to hurt anything, but your engine can only pull in so much air.

The comment about less resolution is regarding that beyond a certain angle of the throttle blade, the plenum can't hold more air and engine can't ingest more air, so you will essentially go to full throttle sooner, even though there is still more blade/pedal travel. As such, you have less control over how much air is going into the engine because you now have less pedal to work with.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
It's not going to hurt anything, but your engine can only pull in so much air.

The comment about less resolution is regarding that beyond a certain angle of the throttle blade, the plenum can't hold more air and engine can't ingest more air, so you will essentially go to full throttle sooner, even though there is still more blade/pedal travel. As such, you have less control over how much air is going into the engine because you now have less pedal to work with.
Ok that makes a lot of sense. Thank you

I assume the same is true for a y8 manifold? The plenum is designed to already hold the maximum amount of air possible so same theory
Old 08-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Quote:
I read that making them too smooth is bad for atomizing and I read that it doesn't make a difference.
There's probably little to no amount of atomized fuel in the intake manifold with this fuel injection setup unless you have some decent reversion.

I guess during the wave periods when the intake valve closes and the wave is created coming back up the intake tract?

Either way, while I think polishing is waste of time, it's not going to cause fuel to come out of suspension like a carb setup would
Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

you can cut open the manifold and blend the runners but this would only be really benificial on either a boosted setup or a high revving motor.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

My b7 intake, z6 TB, z6 Dizzy and y8 work well, its the cheap header I need to decide on, my exhaust ports are smaller then my header so no need to port match, havent looked at the b7 intake to y8 head yet.

I would run stock unless you are going balls deep and the engine can pull more air in to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Agree with everyone else. On a stock motor any gains, even from a proper "race" IM, are going to be marginal at best. In stock form the engine can only take in so much air. If you want to get a bit more power/VE a properly designed ram air set up can net you some gains ... by this I mean not a CAI or other any of the e-bay crap (you can actually get positive pressure if it's done right), however these will most likely be marginal as well, especially given stock tuning.

Individual pieces only do so much on their own ... you have to design the system to every piece works together, synergy is the name of the game. I've heard of several people going with the b-series TB on stock Ds and ditching them right quick because of the fact that only 2/3 - 3/4 of their throttle movement matters any more.

What are your plans for the car?

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Just get a stage 2 cam, and a Skunk2 intake manifold, and tune.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Port matching the TB to intake is bad, need that step.

Teg TB, Y8 intake, on my D16A6/Y8 and it can be touchy, esp. holding speed for best MPG.

Gude TB and intake I used a few years ago, you can see the cause of idle issue I was having with the TB....

D15Baby8 by bonespec | Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
Agree with everyone else. On a stock motor any gains, even from a proper "race" IM, are going to be marginal at best. In stock form the engine can only take in so much air. If you want to get a bit more power/VE a properly designed ram air set up can net you some gains ... by this I mean not a CAI or other any of the e-bay crap (you can actually get positive pressure if it's done right), however these will most likely be marginal as well, especially given stock tuning.

Individual pieces only do so much on their own ... you have to design the system to every piece works together, synergy is the name of the game. I've heard of several people going with the b-series TB on stock Ds and ditching them right quick because of the fact that only 2/3 - 3/4 of their throttle movement matters any more.

What are your plans for the car?
What kind of ram air setup? Can you give me an example.

My plans are to turbo. I have a garrett T25 that I'm building a setup around.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
What kind of ram air setup? Can you give me an example.

My plans are to turbo. I have a garrett T25 that I'm building a setup around.
Ah the plot thickens. My initial assessment was based on a stock or near stock set up.

On a turbo set up you would likely see some benefit from a larger throttle body.

Alas I have no examples of the ram air/positive pressure N/A set ups. I just remember some discussion around it.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Block off the vent ducts and pull air from the cowl.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
Old 08-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

So maybe I will port match for a B-series throttle body for when I do get the turbo together
Old 08-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

id leave it alone. a z6 manifold overall flows the best out of all d16 intake manis.

only reason to upgrade is if your making power in the 140whp range.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

I'm planning on around 190-200 HP. I know the stock internals can't handle much more than that
Old 08-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

then i would simple clean up any casting flaws your can reach and run as is.

good luck. 200whp on a t25 shouldnt be much trouble at all.

i ran a t25 on my fwd sr20det with a top mount intercooler, blue bird set up with a gtir exhaust manifold more then 10 years ago and made 240whp at 14psi. it was a rip.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in