D16Y7 with y8 head turbo??? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16Y7 with y8 head turbo???

Hey guys, What are the HP possibility's with the d16y7 with a y8 head and a turbo with around 8-10psi?

Just all around what all do y'all recommend?
My budget is $4000-$5000

I will be sticking it into a 1991 CRX SI.

I know with 4-5k I can get into an LS swap, but I'm not wanting to go bseries. And I highly doubt it will cost that much anyways, but I am willing to put that into it and I figured y'all would want to know my budget.

I have a y7 motor that I have from a 97 civic. It burns oil, so I will be breaking it down to replace the guides, but I figured while I have it apart might as well see what internals they offer for it cause I'm wanting to turbo it.

I have a D16Y7 laying around and I have a CRX SI laying around, so I'm wanting to build a little toy
I am thinking of putting a z6 or y8 head on, but not sure which one I should use when turboing it.

Also, will the stock CRX transmission be able to bolt up to the y7 block?

Sorry for the overly NOOB post, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.
GordonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

8-10psi on what turbo?

Tranny will bolt to block no problem.

What are you doing about tuning?
Who is building the motor?
What about injectors and other supporting parts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonH View Post

Sorry for the overly NOOB post, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.
good place to start

koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Okay, so apparently I'm unable to post a link because I haven't submitted enough posts.

The place I'm look into getting the turbo kit from is call SSAutochrome. com
Just google it and then click on turbo kits near the bottom left side and the it brings up a list of categories and it has one specifically Honda D15/16 vetc/non-vtec

Check out that site and let me know which turbo setup would be best.
I have never turboed anything before, so I'm not sure which one I'll need to use.

About the tuning... Again. What do y'all recommend? Will a p28 work? I have a local shop that will be able to dyno it for me.

I will be building it.

What other parts will I need other than obvious y8 T-Belt, head gasket, y7 water pump, ect...???
Old 08-11-2016, 05:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Also, are the y7 and y8 blocks the same?
Isn't the only difference between the motors is that the y8 is vtec and thats all in the head.

So I guess my real question is whenever I'm looking at what internals to purchase for the bottom end does it have to be y7 specific?
Old 08-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
good place to start

rc autowerks
go autoworks
site sponsors
showcase section

stop being lazy. put in your own leg work
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Pistons are generally listed for certain motors but will work between d series only difference will be in the end compression numbers (numbers listed with piston are specific to that head) rods will work between d series

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Are cast pistons okay to run with a turbo or should I stick to forged???
Old 08-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Are cast pistons okay to run with a turbo or should I stick to forged???
what are your power goals? like slo says, the info is here.

keyword vitara...

00 dx coupe with lowering springs, integra brakes, and boosted d16z6!
Quote:
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

I dont know what my power goals can be?

I've been looking around at whats offered for a quality build and so far I have been deciding to go with...

Block - CP Pistons 75.5mm, Manley H beam Rods, I may need a crank, if so I'll be sticking with a stock crank and main bearings.

Head - Skunk2 70mm Intake and TB, Bisimoto Cam, Bisimoto Valves, Springs, and Retainers, and an AEM Cam Gear.

On the Bisimoto Camshaft it lists several different options just for turbos such as... 1.2, 2.4, 3.6 but my problem is I don't know what the Dseries can handle therefore I dont know which option to choose.

What do y'all think of the setup so far?
If I were to build it as such what would I be able expect?

I'm aiming for close to 300whp.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:

I'm aiming for close to 300whp.
vitaras/eagles and an otherwise stock engine with a decent t3/t4 turbo kit should get you there.
fuel pump, injectors + tuning
now impress us!

00 dx coupe with lowering springs, integra brakes, and boosted d16z6!
Quote:
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

I think you need to do a bunch of reading if youre looking at bisi products. 70mm throttle is overkill. have you looked in the showcase section? bro, youre seriously making it out to be like you haven't done any of the leg work. theres builds with 500+ hp in the showcase. theres people who were aiming for 300hp at the crank and make 304 at the wheels. stop being lazy.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in