need z6/y8 ignition timing help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default need z6/y8 ignition timing help

d16z6 block
y8 head
b7 dizzy
z6 crank pulley

Im having some trouble setting my ignition timing. Do I still use the timing marks on the z6 pulley? Because I can't get it to match up. The closest I can get to the red mark is if I have the dizzy turned all the way towards the fire wall.

How can I fix this? I also have a z6 dizzy and a y8 dizzy too.
cityofcaterpillars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

is mechanical timing set correctly?
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D

yep as best I can tell. Bottom end is TDC verified by both the pulley mark and a coat hanger.

Cam gear is set just like the picture. My line is more even with the arrow though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	112050  

Old 08-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

D16y8 HEAD on D16Z6 BLOCK? | ClubCivic.com - Your Online Civic Community
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thank you sir. so I will swap the z6 dizzy guts into the y8 and use that.

so the whole cam gear issue. I have a Z6 adjustable gear. Could I use that to correct the 1/2 tooth error? If so what would I set the gear to?
Old 08-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

use the y8 gear to set up tdc. take the belt off and set up tdc for the crank. line adjustable up with the y8. install
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
use the y8 gear to set up tdc. take the belt off and set up tdc for the crank. line adjustable up with the y8. install
so I literally just put the Z6 gear on without adjusting it and slide the belt on after I set TDC with the Y8 gear?

Sorry I'm trying to picture this in my head. I'd rather ask stupid questions now than do it a million times wrong.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

you set it to tdc with the y8 cam gear. mark the very top of the cam gear.
line your adjustable up with the key way and move the gear until the 0 matches up with the line you drew. tighten it down. youre now set at mechanical tdc
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
you set it to tdc with the y8 cam gear. mark the very top of the cam gear.
line your adjustable up with the key way and move the gear until the 0 matches up with the line you drew. tighten it down. youre now set at mechanical tdc
Gotcha. So will this help with the ignition timing? The only way the red line shows up is when I rev the engine.

I did read that the p2p ecu has 12 degrees for timing whereas the p28 has 16 degree. Could this be the issue?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

So i figured out that I can see the timing marks because it a z6 crank pulley and its not indexed to 12*. I gonna put a y8 pulley on tomorrow and see if that helps
Old 08-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

but I just said, if you set the bottom to tdc, and set the cam to tdc, then index the cam gear correctly, youll be able to use the z6 timing marks........
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
but I just said, if you set the bottom to tdc, and set the cam to tdc, then index the cam gear correctly, youll be able to use the z6 timing marks........
but wont the ignition still be off because the ecu's ignition map is set at 16* and not 12* like the P2P is?

I've been doing alot of reading and from what I gather I should be using the y8 gear to set the mechanical timing because I basically have a Y8 motor since the blocks are basically the same.

Same with the ignition timing only I wont see the timing marks because the timing would need set at 12* per y8 and the z6 crank pulley only shows 14*, 16*, and 18*.

So I would need the Y8 crank pulley and re chip my ecu with a Y8 base map
Old 08-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

swap the cams then. use the z6 as well as the timing marks
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thats what I did. I got a z6 cam for free and threw that in. Still bogs under 3k RPM so I think I'm off a tooth but it's running a hell of alot smoother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in