D16 head on D15B1 block - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16 head on D15B1 block

Hello, Several years ago I replaced a head gasket on a D15B1 1990 civic SOHC. Long story short, I bought a remanufactured head due to problems with a machine shop doing the work on the original head. Needless to say, I had a head gasket issue again and now I am rebuilding the entire 1.5 L engine. The problem I have is that the remanufactured head is from a 1.6 L civic. I am aware of this because of the valve spring lengths, cam lobe heights, etc.

The question is: Is this really a problem. I am a Mech Engineer in the Automotive world and understand theories, but sometimes a really solid engine mechanic can school an engineer....yes, I will admit to this.

Can I use this head or is this possibly a reason why I had my second issue with this cyl head (loss of cyl compression).

PS. The car ran fine for about 10,000 miles.
everesev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

google d15b1 mini-me.

read.

???

profit!
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

So you have a D16A6 head you want to use? Just to be clear.

If so, you just use a Y7/Y8 cam gear. Or you can find a D15B1/2 cam, and build it like stock.

But just to confuse you, if your D16A6 cam is from an 88 CRX, you use a stock cam gear. Hah.

So lets say you didnt use the correct cam gear to correct the timing change from the D15's lower deck height in comparison to a D16... you would be half a tooth advance or half a tooth retarded for mechanical timing. The engine would run either way for basically ever just with lowered performance. So I dont think that is the source or cause of your mechanical failures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Last edited by FarmerD; 07-30-2016 at 09:39 AM.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

To be clear, The Cyl head code reads P_3-12. Between the P and 3 the letter has been removed or ground away for some reason. The date code is 88. That being said, the cam lobe height for the intake is around 1.4197-1.4202 and exhaust is 1.4250-1.4256. Intake Spring length is 2.0250-2.0315 and exhaust is 2.1635-2.1750. Valve diameter: intake: 0.2157 and exhaust is 0.2146.

I am just a little puzzled as to what I have since I ordered a remanufactured head for the build. Wish I kept the old head, but I have what I have. BTW, Cam gear reads PM3B. I don't recall if I got the remanufactured head with a cam gear back in 07 or not. I think I simply put the old one on. Got it/

Appreciated the help.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

where are you located? maybe an entire d16 would be cheaper/easier to rebuild than mucking around with somebody's elses repair. weird they would ground down any identifying marks
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

If it's an 88 d16a6 head then it sounds like you are good to go. However being nearly 30 years old it could have any sort of mix-matched parts. You'll have to google cam lobe measurements to find out what you really have for a cam and go from there. The head stamp should read PM3.

This would be a good time for an mpfi swap if not already done.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2016, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 ninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by everesev View Post
Hello, Several years ago I replaced a head gasket on a D15B1 1990 civic SOHC. Long story short, I bought a remanufactured head due to problems with a machine shop doing the work on the original head. Needless to say, I had a head gasket issue again and now I am rebuilding the entire 1.5 L engine. The problem I have is that the remanufactured head is from a 1.6 L civic. I am aware of this because of the valve spring lengths, cam lobe heights, etc.

The question is: Is this really a problem. I am a Mech Engineer in the Automotive world and understand theories, but sometimes a really solid engine mechanic can school an engineer....yes, I will admit to this.

Can I use this head or is this possibly a reason why I had my second issue with this cyl head (loss of cyl compression).

PS. The car ran fine for about 10,000 miles.
The head is easily mounted. We add 1.6 heads to 1.5 all the time. They are called mini me's
That means at a natural rate the compression chamber achieves pressure as the rods and crank plus quench from ptdh rotate at more Rpm's. With an advanced gasket you can power add natural. Bigger injectors, ignition timing etc.

Btw. Vin. Don't troll my website . Read the stickies and stop letting Tyrese write your comments.

88-89'??? crx hf special edition w/zc/z6 H.Comp,4n2 I.H.E,zc tranny w/1st stage street clutch, Si fly wheel, custom dual exhaust(y pipe), H&R suspension w/front to back sway bars,struts,heavy coils, shortshifter. milled z6 head, skunk 2 cam.

new edelbrock mani coming soon.
ninjajp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

This is all great stuff. Everything lines up with the cam gear and no "offset" marks. I did get Victor Reinz W0133-1614886 gasket kit and the additional steel head gasket and new head bolts. My real question now is that I do recognize about 75% of the kit parts, but some of those O-rings I have no ideas where they go. I cannot find on the internet any listing other than simple 5 orings, soft rubber parts. I do not want to mess up as I am rebuilding the whole engine.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

A non specific gasket kit will come with extra gaskets used for differences between engines. Without posting a pic of what you're asking about no one can help.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

little o-rings under the rocker arms I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2016, 07:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

If you are having HG problems after two heads, the pretty obvious answer is the deck on the motor isn't flat . . .

If you switch to a MLS gasket a la d16y8, you will have to have the deck surfaced on the old block if it previously had a graphite one on there. MLS gaskets require better Ra surface finish values than you can get by scraping and using a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood . . .
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in