Swap nightmare. Need advice - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 05:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Swap nightmare. Need advice

Bought a z6 motor that was taken apart to do an OEM rebuild

Cracked the head on my D15 so now the build had to be rushed because its my daily.

Went to install APR studs in Z6 block and one of the head stud holes is stripped out. Used a helicoil and it worked. Then I noticed the stud was taller in the corner with the vtec solenoid (should've been a clue) Used washer to fill the gap. (I know not the right way to do it.

Finally got the motor in and the Z6 dizzy doesn't fit. Only the top mount lines up.

So I look at the head casting and realize it's a freaking y8 head.

people say use B7 dizzy. Nope. Only 2 side mounts live up.

Z6 timing belt doesn't fit with the Y8 cam gear without it being really tight also had to swap the tensioner with a smaller one. Buy a y8 timing belt and it way to long.

So now my mechanical timing is a mess. tried using the z6 cam gear and it seems to be alot closer which makes no sense to me at all. .

I cannot get the timing right for the life of me. car runs like crap. I found someone selling a z6 shortblock with a rod threw it for $50.

I don't know if I should buy that head and have everything match or keep trying to mess with the z6/y8

I need some opinion because I am at a loss.
cityofcaterpillars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 05:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

You should be using matching cam gears and dizzys. I thought the B7 dizzy was supposed to mount to everything except a z6 head. I've had my old b7 dizzy on a y8 motor. The only difference between the z6 and the others is the stupid mount. The internals are the same. As far as the belt, it might have been milled a whole bunch. Or maybe you just need a new tensioner. First try matching dizzys to cam gears.
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 05:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D

I can get the ignition timed with the Z6 dizzy with one bolt in.

Everything on the block is brand new including the tensioner. the Y8 belt is like inches to long.

I'm more concerned with the mechanical timing. Everything fits great with the z6 belt and cam gear.

I have no idea what plastics I have to set the cam timing since everything seems to be mismatched. I assume it's the y8 plastics.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Y8 arp bolt set has 1 bolt that is suppose to be shorter than the others, this is why you had one too long.

This should help clear up and timing issues you are having:

https://www.d-series.org/forums/gener...ification.html

EDIT: You will need a Y8 dizzy, it is the Z6 is special one to use that mounting style.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Last edited by BeerDrinkin; 07-26-2016 at 06:26 AM.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Y8 arp bolt set has 1 bolt that is suppose to be shorter than the others, this is why you had one too long.

This should help clear up and timing issues you are having:

https://www.d-series.org/forums/gener...ification.html

EDIT: You will need a Y8 dizzy, it is the only one to use that mounting style.
according to that post the z6 tensioner and belt should be the same. the belt fits fine on the z6 gear but I have to force it on the y8 gear.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

The gears should be the same size, is the 4.5* of timing difference between the 2 making it harder to slide the belt on?

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
The gears should be the same size, is the 4.5* of timing difference between the 2 making it harder to slide the belt on?
it maybe. the waterpump wide slides on and it gets tighter towards the front. I had to swap the tensioner for a smaller one even to get that to work.

Someone gave me a z6 adjustable camgear today for free but it's missing the woodruff key. Any idea if its the same size as the crank pulley one?

I may give that a shot before I spend the money on a new head
Old 07-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

go to Honda and buy the key?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

studs follow the block, and yes the z6 has one weird length stud
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

what the hell.

take a second and breathe.

you obviously have parts that are mis-labeled or whatnot.

ARP studs on an OEM rebuild? waste of money.

cracked the 1.5 head? slap the y8 head on the 1.5 block and drive it so you can take a chill pill on the 1.6 block and have it done correctly dude.

time is NOT something that can be short on a block build, whether its just a refresh or a full build

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

If you can get the z6 head for $50 or less honestly save yourself the headache and just buy it. Offer less who cares.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

y8 cam centerline is 2mm taller than z6, you bought a y8 timing belt which is correct, but now you need to find the correct tensioner to fit the block, i think a d15b might be correct.

I would suggest putting the stock y8 cam gear back on and setting the timing one tooth advanced. As far as the distributor goes, if you can get the timing correct with one bolt in it will be fine like that.

Im having a hard time understanding what you have exactly at your disposal and what parts your putting together?

Last edited by cervan; 07-26-2016 at 11:18 PM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

I got it all sorted out now. my parts were all messed up because I trusted the guy I bought the motor from. The dizzy doesn't fit because the guys had a z6 cam cap on the y8 head so the mounting holes were off.

I'm picking up the z6 head today so everything will finally match. Just gotta swap the heads.

It got confusing because I was rushing so lesson learned there
Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

haste makes waste. automotive world gets hit hard with the speed mentality quite often.

Alwyas think through a few steps, and in general read any documentation beforehand on any process and you should be good

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 04:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Went to meet the guy yesterday for the z6 head and it was yet again a y8 head. I switched the rocker assembly over. Found out we were doing the valves wrong so we did them right and she runs great now.

Just need to run the wires for vtec. Anyone have any suggestion on where and how to run the wires through the firewall? I tried a few times and can't get them through.

Thank you guys for all your help
Old 07-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Theres always a boot that blocks a few holes in your firewall. Have you checked even behind and under the intake manifold? Typically on either side though
xXNosjetXx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

If your car doesn't have AC then it will have a delete plug in place of the lines going through the firewall.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

I guess using the oem location where all the wiring goes through the firewall makes too much sense right?

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
I guess using the oem location where all the wiring goes through the firewall makes too much sense right?

koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

yeah I tried where the factory harness goes but I could't get it threw. I pulled the AC when I put the motor in because it was't working so I'm just going to use that hole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in