Hey there, new D16 owner - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Hey there, new D16 owner

Hey guys, I recently picked up a 96 DX that had a D16y7/8 mini-me swapped in, and this site has been a great source of information for me. Whoever did the swap seems to have half-assed a few things here and there, so been working through the issues, trying to get everything up to speed.

Seems that they didn't have to deal with emissions, so CELs were of no concern to them. Been tackling them one at a time, still fighting with a few.

Thought the HG was leaking, so tore the head off to replace that and throw in some ARP head studs, realized that the HG was fine but there was a torn coolant line under the distributor area that I couldn't see. No worse for the wear, I got those new head studs in :P The vtec solenoid gasket was also leaking, and running down the front of the engine, which threw me off for a bit, too.

Of the remaining codes, I've seen the knock sensor and the iacv codes pop up, so dealing with those. I have a replacement for the knock sensor, so I'll be throwing that in soon. As far as the iacv goes, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Cleaned it, bled the system a few times, checked the wiring, plugged the port in the tb... still no luck. Might have to bite the bullet and replace it.

Sometimes I get a code for running too lean. I'll see if the knock sensor has anything to do with that. I'll also be installing a fuel pressure gauge to make sure I'm good on that.

No real plans atm other than getting the engine cleared of CEL. Stuck in IL, so gotta be ready for emissions eventually. I have a spare TD04 from my WRX that I'll consider tossing in, but from what I've read it's not the most common setup so it'll probably require a bit of effort to make happen. That's far off, so not too worried about it right now.

soonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Fast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagle

Welcome! Looks like your off to a good start with the car.

Regarding the iacv is the car a manual or auto? And is it running the 2 wire or 3 wire iacv? Maybe the previous owner did some swapping around with them for some reason.
Fast_Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Welcome! Looks like your off to a good start with the car.

Regarding the iacv is the car a manual or auto? And is it running the 2 wire or 3 wire iacv? Maybe the previous owner did some swapping around with them for some reason.
It's currently running a 2-wire iacv, and as far as I can tell it's wired correctly at the A-plug. I believe it was originally an auto, and swapped to a manual (from a 97 EX). I guess I'm not sure if that means I should be running the 2-wire or the 3-wire iacv.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

3 wire is from an AT vtec or MT no tec sohc 96-00 Civics, the more you know.

Do you have the y8 ecu? Your IACV would be on B plug if so, this is why I am asking.

Unless you have the OBD2a ECU.....here take a look.

To help trouble shooting all in one place and stuff. My point is you can fix it, easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

It has a P2P ecu, which I believe is odb2a. I'm going to replace the knock sensor in the morning, I'll double check that it's in fact the 2 wire. I've looked at so many sensors lately, they're all running together. I can confirm that the A plug looks like the one you posted, with the wire switched and the extra wire pulled.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Fuel pressure gauge is installed. I think the pressure is within specs; didn't spend a lot of time on that, just got it hooked up.

Installed the new knock sensor today. Still getting the knock sensor code (0325 I believe), so I'll be checking the wiring later.

Fought with the IACV and it's wiring all morning and almost gave up until I realized the guy had the wires backwards. No more code and no more stumble, so fingers crossed that it's taken care of.

Almost there!
Old 07-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Fast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagleFast_Eddie is fly like an eagle

Nice catch on the backwards wiring. And oem spec for fuel pressure is 31-38 psi, and 40-47 with the vacuum hose disconnected. A little higher than spec doesn't seem to be too much of an issue either.
Fast_Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Looks like 32 and 42 psi, respectively. A little low but still within spec I guess.

Can't imagine why the knock sensor isn't working. I must have ordered the electrician's special :/

Replaced that garbage last night, and the same shit on the other side of the firewall. No more knock sensor code, and in fact, no more codes at all. Waiting for the evap code to come on but it hasn't happened yet. I'll deal with that when it does.

Not sure what's next. Out of town this weekend, but when I get back I might do a valve adjustment followed by a compression test.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 07-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Nice job getting through it and repairing your shyt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

So the IACV code and the knock code never came back. Glad those are solved.

The evap codes came back like I thought they would. Did some more research and learned that the 96 DX doesn't have an FTP sensor. Wired up a potentiometer to the ECU, and waiting on the results. I also noticed that the DX doesn't have a charcoal canister with an electrical plug. I'm guessing that's what the 2 extra wires laying in the engine bay are for. We will see if that needs to be resolved if/when the CEL comes back.

Adjusted the valves yesterday and did a compression test today. Results:
1 - 179
2 - 181
3 - 181
4 - 175

Seems healthy enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in