New, old boy, on the block - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New, old boy, on the block

Hi,
I've just bought my 16 year old an EJ9 as his first car and our project for about the next year until he can drive.
The plan is to nut and bolt it, strip it out etc as he likes the Kanjo style of things.
I'm not expecting miracles from the little 1.4 engine but I've found some interesting bits and pieces on line like the Dodo upgrades. Are these held in high regard?
I'm a self taught home garage mechanic with some basic skills and experience in engine building with old stuff like mini's and Ford Pinto's.
I'm thinking of doing the usual bits like polishing the throttle body, a light skim and match porting the head after a head and valve clean up.
114266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm guessing this forum is pretty dead then. I'll just use it as a resource.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

welcome to dso got any pictures of the car
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Get the chassis light as possible and do those dodo mods and it should be a fun little ripper if you do some suspension mods to it also. In for pics as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi guys,
Will have a read on how to do the pics.
I've been looking round for the bits to do the dodo mods but they aren't easy to find so far. May just be easier to buy and swap one of the smaller vtec's but that wasn't the plan. May just do the IM and an eBay mani, decat and exhaust.
i take it my basics ideas are ok and worth while on this engine? I've read the cc of the combustion chambers are something ridiculous like 34?
How much is safe to skim without causing problems?
I'm busy wet sanding the and compounding the panels at the moment though.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

forum is slow on weekends, but welcome to d-so. if you have a photobucket, or any image hosting site, you can copy the img code and paste it here with a space or 2 in it and I can come back and edit it to work, until you get your minimum posts up to par.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2016, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok,will do.
Any thoughts on my engine plans or am I going the wrong way. All I read about is swapping and bolt on's?
Old 07-14-2016, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

welcome but

shouldn't your kid be doing work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post

I'm busy wet sanding the and compounding the panels at the moment though.

wish my dad bought me a project car then built it for me when I'm 15
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2016, 05:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ha, yeah I know. He's learning though.
We've done oil, filter and plugs. Breaking him gently.
We removed cleaned, polished and replaced the throttle body.
Moving the battery into the back of the car tomorrow.
The paints so hard I'm already fed up trying to correct it!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

where are you from?
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
where are you from?
Suffolk, England.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Welcome, and props for bringing your young one along on the journey that will be his car. Awaiting those pics.

My website:
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

I only use an iPad and it doesn't seem to like photo bucket or the other way round. Can anyone suggest another iPad/forum friendly app?
Old 07-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Anyone?
Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Got photobucket and trying but it doesn't like it.
Don't get the space thing?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

say the code is

https://www.d-series.org/forums/custo...ar35615_13.gif

the site wont allow you to post it due to post limits, so you have to add a space in the link

www. d-series.org/forums/customavatars/avatar35615_13.gif

that should allow you to post it, then I come back and add the img link for it to work

[IMG]http://www.

d-series.org/forums/customavatars/avatar35615_13.gif[/IMG]

that turns into this

koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

seems like you're trying to work with what you have in which case all you can do if free up power instead of add. doesn't mean it wont have pep and go but don't expect much. how many miles are on the engine? loss of compression through poorly sealing rings may be the first place to start. an entire exhaust system would be the next. a nice header and 2.5" piping matching resonators and mufflers to 2.5" also. try to find a header that has a 2.5" collector if not modify it. proper suspension will make a great deal of difference such as a full coil over where you can adjust spring preload and ride height independently.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
seems like you're trying to work with what you have in which case all you can do if free up power instead of add. doesn't mean it wont have pep and go but don't expect much. how many miles are on the engine? loss of compression through poorly sealing rings may be the first place to start. an entire exhaust system would be the next. a nice header and 2.5" piping matching resonators and mufflers to 2.5" also. try to find a header that has a 2.5" collector if not modify it. proper suspension will make a great deal of difference such as a full coil over where you can adjust spring preload and ride height independently.
You are correct. It's 92K miles. Compression test is a good idea. I'd have thought 2.5" is a bit big for a 1.4, don't you need some back pressure?
Yeah it's all going to be about lightness, handling and braking.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

The 2.5 is good if you are gunna mod the motor a bit. Back pressure yes, and you will get quite a bit with the right muffler and resonator combined with the bends in the piping. I ran a 2.25 in my daily y8 with intake and header, would need slightly more if I went with a cam and itb setup lets say. Plus the 2.5 will sound damn good if you make it a short path like exit behind front wheels or in front of rear, if you like them to stay cleaner longer.

Also welcome to the site, my kids are just getting into cars as well, it is a good hobby for the family.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
The 2.5 is good if you are gunna mod the motor a bit. Back pressure yes, and you will get quite a bit with the right muffler and resonator combined with the bends in the piping. I ran a 2.25 in my daily y8 with intake and header, would need slightly more if I went with a cam and itb setup lets say. Plus the 2.5 will sound damn good if you make it a short path like exit behind front wheels or in front of rear, if you like them to stay cleaner longer.

Also welcome to the site, my kids are just getting into cars as well, it is a good hobby for the family.
Ok, thanks.
It will be a compromise as we have a 105db limit on tracks here so will be to the back.
Still trying to do the picture thing. Hopeless with this sort of thing. I'll get the boy on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in