Friends D16Y8 block...2 stripped threads.. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Xextr3meX is learning the way of the DXextr3meX is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Friends D16Y8 block...2 stripped threads..

Long story short, me and my friend were going to change the head gasket on his 00 Civic EX. all of the head bolts came out niceley BUT 2 of them, the center ones out of the 10, were hard to remove, after cleaning we determined a previous owner had messed with it and fucked it up, and tried to repair it them selfs because there was a plastic compound that was used to make new threads.

My friend is a bit pissed, doesnt want to get a new block or even take the block to a machine shop, in this case is there anything he can do? JB Weld... Heli Coils?

The only thing that came to my mind was to offer a D16Y7 block that I have which is in good shape, now his car is manual, does it matter if the Y7 block came out of an automatic?
Xextr3meX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

heli-coil

timesert

Best way to fix an aluminum stripp... - Yesterday's Tractors

https://www.aluminumrepair.com/thread-repair/

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Form-.../dp/B000WSEUII
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

manual and auto cars use the same engine blocks per engine code.

a d16y7 is a d16y7, auto or manual

not very hard to check engine part numbers on oem parts websites.

YOUR GOOGLE-FU IS LACKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT take engine out, have a machine shop drill the hole straight with precision, and have them install helicoils. they have access to helicoils of the correct strength.

off the shelf helicoil kits are rarely rated for head bolt use and sometimes end up loosening up over time (generally a few years, but up to you)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

Last edited by mattliston; 06-24-2016 at 04:11 PM.
mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Timesert. Is the only way to fix the threads. The kit is pricey but worth the money.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Xextr3meX is learning the way of the DXextr3meX is learning the way of the D

A little update.... My friend managed to strip the timesert.... Idiot....

Now im doing the block swap.. I picked up a good looking Y8, I dont want to take it to a machine shop I rather clean it and make it look good myself.

I checked the block with a straight edge and a feeler gauge to make sure its not warped, and everything checks out, checked the blook inch by inch for signs of cracks etc, nothing, what are the odds of still being a bad block??
Old 06-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

can never hurt to have a head and block milled just enough for flat. rods have any play? crank have any play? everything within spec?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Im just done with the block build and yeah everything was within spec. Lastly turns out the head did needed a bit of resurfacing... Checked it yet again with a different presision ruler and had a low spot of .002 checked the block with the presision ruler and its fine.

Since its not a lot, i decided to resurface the head myself yet again ... Fudge the machine shop...
Old 07-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xextr3meX View Post
Since its not a lot, i decided to resurface the head myself yet again ... Fudge the machine shop...
That sounds like a solid plan . . .
Old 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-SeriesFab View Post
That sounds like a solid plan . . .
Its not that hard or bad.. Ive been doing this since high school thanks to my autobody/mech teacher, you just need to know what youre doing, be good with your hands and most off all have paitence...

The first time I ever did this was with my first civic it was bad it had a low spot in the center of the z6 head, .004 to be exact did it and to make sure it was straight ended up taking it to a machine shop... What they do.. Nothing told me is was flat..

Why is it that everytime I do it this way everyone acts like its a bad thing? Im guessing ppl forgot the old ways and rather waste money to have someone else do it...

Im not saying machine shops are bad in any way, im just saying why pay for something you can do at home for free?
Old 07-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

you are foolish

does not matter if you can get it PERFECTLY flat.

how can you guarantee you are flat with the surface? the machine shop has a hundred thousand dollars into equipment for a reason

pay the damn 50 bucks or whatever to have them surface it properly

Build what you have!

Old 07-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

???Foolish??? Umm not at all if you ask me. Keep us posted please.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Are you saying it was foolish of me to call him foolish because he is trying to do things without the proper precise equipment? or foolish of me to be honest with him?

Im a person who lives nearly paycheck to paycheck. I fully enjoy doing things on my own. And I consider myself talented at learning when it comes to hands-on level of services.

But when things need a certain level of precision to perform 100% properly, a professional gets called to work.

Build what you have!

Old 07-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xextr3meX View Post
Its not that hard or bad.. Ive been doing this since high school thanks to my autobody/mech teacher, you just need to know what youre doing, be good with your hands and most off all have paitence...

The first time I ever did this was with my first civic it was bad it had a low spot in the center of the z6 head, .004 to be exact did it and to make sure it was straight ended up taking it to a machine shop... What they do.. Nothing told me is was flat..

Why is it that everytime I do it this way everyone acts like its a bad thing? Im guessing ppl forgot the old ways and rather waste money to have someone else do it...

Im not saying machine shops are bad in any way, im just saying why pay for something you can do at home for free?
Let me guess, sand paper and a 2x4? That is old school shade tree crap. It is some what okay with cast iron and cork gaskets but that is definitely not what your Honda is meant for. The Ra (Roughness Average "surface finish") required for a aluminum head/block with MLS gasket is between 20 and 60, the lower the better.

To put it into prospective the average "belt sander" milling renders a Ra of 200-400.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

or worst, granite or glass and 2,000 grit paper

Build what you have!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

You gotta be ****** kidding me...
94EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Yes ill update my progress probably tomorrow with pics/info, in a new thread... And ill be adding cheap stuff... Like ebay bearings... Yeah you heard right!

Lastly the head is. 002 warped and the block is .003 warped, so ill be fixing both myself, lastly we decided to fix the original y8 block, the machine shop charges 150 bucks for 2 timeserts which isnt bad. Why we switched to the original y8 head with srteipped threads? Well because even though it has those bad theeads, it still looks like its in better shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in