Crank/Main bearings... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Crank/Main bearings...

Yes this has been beat to death! I've been beating my head on the wall for a few days now doing as much in depth research and feeding through so much b/s that's everywhere concerning this topic. And there are some awesome threads on this. Just had a couple questions I could not answer on my own or couldn't find. Even called the dealership and an egotistical guy i spoke to wanted to prove a point about the difference between main bearings and crank bearings providing no solution...

So, I have a D16Y8 and I have DBDDD stamped on the block and I have 43323 stamped on the crank. So i know these get paired to D4(blue) B3(green) D3(black) D2(brown) D3(black) from pulley to flywheel, giving me the original size bearings that went into this thing. I've been on to majestic honda looking for these bearings but I cant find what I'm looking for in terms of combination. (see image below)

DBDDD
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3261.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	110138

And here's the flywheel end of the crank (D3) if I have this correct?!?

Name:	IMG_3262.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	110146

So I went online looking for these and I can't find B(GREEN) OR D(BLACK) etc....

Name:	BEARINGS.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	110154

So in conclusion, can anyone shine some light on the Lettering. I'm guessing it's the size of the outside of the bearing and how well it sits in the journals? I just kept reading where people said to just get a specific color... and didn't mention anything on the ABCD portion of it... Maybe im overthinking it and all i need in the end is the "color code"?!? that's the only conclusion I can come to. Just trying to clear the air. Maybe this will help other people as well that are over thinking it as I am. Plus, some additional info for people that have experience and had to either get smaller or larger bearings. I've read that people shoot for .0015" for all the mains and all mine speced out to .002" and .003" using standard acl race bearing gauging with plastigage. (bought them hoping they'd be in spec)... my bad. so with that, I've also read that the acl bearings equate to a "green" oem size. Can anyone that's had to change sizes give any good suggestions or advice on how much tighter I should go (in terms of color) before I drop more money on bearings and be shit out of luck...
Djruel01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

would be better to mic the crank and rods and get the correct bearing sizes. Im sure the question has been asked before, I know Ive read it somewhere but it escapes my mind right now

http://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-...arings-715505/

BAM
https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...-bearings.html
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 06-24-2016 at 01:06 PM.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2016, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Letters / numbers on the block, crank and rods are codes for bearing tunnel, main / rod journal and rod big end sizes respectively. Color codes on the bearing indicate their thickness. Just looking at a single letter will not give you any information about the bearing thickness you require to achieve a given clearance. Hence the lookup chart in the manual.

I see Slo has already provided a link to information about bearing thickness vs color, so you can use that as a reference.

Last edited by 007; 06-25-2016 at 01:51 AM.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in