To safely turbo or not to turbo?? That is the question. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2016, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to pontiacman
Default To safely turbo or not to turbo?? That is the question.

So I will try to make this short and sweet. I have a 98 LX 4 door civic. W/ a garrett turbo set up. After 230,000 miles the head gasket blew. (my fault got a pin hole in the hose and got stuck at the Canadian border and it overheated.) Now I just lucked out and bought a 2 door ex. With some mods already done. AEM Cold air intake,Chipped,Headers,High flow cat,and some fancy nice new gauge clusters. Any way back on track. I pulled the head and intake off (to replace it with the one from polor bear tuning that was ported out and a b/n t.b that was bored out 3mm. Then I decided to pull the exaust mani and have the turbo checked out. Anyway due to a injury from overseas I can no longer lean over the cars like I used t. My real question is that this new civic I got is very clean. I even got every maintnace recipt from 1997 with it. And the big reviel Is I got it for $400. Put it on the road and have been driving it daily since. The car runs great. Doesn't even smoke or eat oil. But the car has 330,000 miles on it. Do you think it would be safe to swap my turbo onto the 2 door? Im worried with that amount of mile it might blow the motor. Or would it be smarter to just start building the old 4 door motor and drive the 2 door until it dies and just swap in my old motor at that point. I miss the turbo alot though. It's nice having that extra little power on long drives. Your thoughts on this are. Thank you for your time
pontiacman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

Miles are just a number. You should daily the 97 and fix your 98.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 06:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I agree fix the 4 door it makes people mad when a sedan leaves them behind especially v8s
94EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Fix both lol...

But really miles dont mean a whole lot it really depends on how its taken care of.
Pick the body that you want and then fix it how you want it to be. and sell or have the other car as a backup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Agree with everyone else. My personal preference ... fix up the fohdoh. Sport sedans make great sleepers.

330,000 well maintained miles is better than 20,000 miles where basic maintenance was ignored. If you're worried pull the head inspect the bores, get compression and leakdown tests done, etc. Verify the health of the engine.

As far as safe swap of turbo to the 2 door. When you say it's chipped, what does that mean? Did the previous owner get some ebay garbage and slap it on there, or is is a real chip/tune? If it's some ebay garbage I'd question the health of the motor and seriously consider finding one to rebuild (and rebuilding the four door motor).

Honestly what's better than one clean, fun Honda ... two of course.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
Honestly what's better than one clean, fun Honda ... two of course.

I would do maintenance so there are fewer pop up needs down the road and then build the 4 door. It is hard to maintain multiple vehicles but with planning and diligence, it is easier than a one legged ass-kicking contest.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to pontiacman

Thanks for all the input. The more I think about it I think you are all right. daily the coupe and fix the 4 door.. As far as the 96 goes it had a notebook and a envelope with a stack of receipts. I have every part ever bought including tires for this car since the day it was bought. along with all the upgrades. All the parts were bought from summit racing except it was chipped and the headers both came from a performance shop and the intake came from AEM. And the notebook contains every oil change and a diary of every part put on the car including the mileage that the car had when the part was put on. For once I think I really lucked out getting this one. Especially for $400.
pontiacman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in