Difference between 96-00 LX and EX civic - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 05:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Difference between 96-00 LX and EX civic

I have a question that I feel has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to figure out how to find the answer. I'm looking to buy a 96-00 civic to turbo, and I was wondering if there was any major reason to get an ex over an lx.
I know the major difference between them is the vtec vs non vtec, but will there be a differenice with tuning? I was talking to someone who has built many civics, and he told me that I should get an ex because it will be easier to tune and make idle correctly. Is this true?
MrFurzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Well for one the LX is a sedan, while the EX is a coupe. You may be thinking of the DX, which is a more stripped down coupe that came with a non-VTEC engine.

There are 2 things to consider. Weight and what engine comes in the car.

The EX coupe, and the LX sedan are both pretty heavy by civic standards. You want a light chassis for going fast, so I would be looking for one of the eco models, such as the CX and HX. The CX is totally stripped (manual everything) while HX is pretty light but still has power windows and doors.

The engines we have to deal with are the D16Y8 VTEC in the EX, the D16Y7 non-VTEC in the CX, DX, and LX, and finally the D16Y5 in the HX (special fuel economy engine).
Unfortunately, all options are kinda shit. In particular the D16Y8 suffers from oiling issues, the others do as well, but seemingly to a lesser extent.

If youre set on a 96-00, I would go for a good, light chassis and dont worry about the engine. Go ahead and turbo whatever it has (you dont need VTEC), and just plan on replacing the engine. I would have a D16A/Z standing by for when your D16Yx inevitably spins a bearing. You may even want to go ahead and build an engine on the side so you can make some real power.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Go to a different tuner.
That one doesnt know what he is talking about.
The idle will work just fine on either.
Yes a y7 iacv is 3 wire and needs to be converted to 2 wire. But its very easy to do.

So get which car you want and a different tuner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

I thought that the EX came as a sedan as well? I'm only looking to make 200 WHP. Will the engine still spin a bearing?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks, that's what I thought. He isn't a professional tuner, he just has a lot of experience building and tuning Hondas on his own.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You can get an EX in sedan and coupe but the LX only comes in sedan form and usually has all the options of an EX except the sunroof and vtec motor.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurzzy View Post
I thought that the EX came as a sedan as well? I'm only looking to make 200 WHP. Will the engine still spin a bearing?
200Hp at the crank is the safe zone in my opinion..

When you have an engine with oil issues around a certain point, why try to get to that "unsafe" zone?

Keep it simple, but your going to want more power after a month or two..

this is when the engine will spin a bearing.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

replace the oil pump and make sure you keep your oil levels good and your be fine.

the y motors do spring bearings faster then other d16 or d15 motors. its mainly due to the crank oil holes. but there are problem running the y motors with high power without problems.

***edit
There are "people running high power without problems"

. RIP

Last edited by xile6; 05-25-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
replace the oil pump and make sure you keep your oil levels good and your be fine.

the y motors do spring bearings faster then other d16 or d15 motors. its mainly due to the crank oil holes. but there are problem running the y motors with high power without problems.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

honda specifies 5w-20 in the d16y7 and d16y8 motors AFTER they produced the cars.

Ive never seen a spun y7 or y8 motor that was maintained properly. Ive seen plenty of them spun with shitty ignorant drivers

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
Well for one the LX is a sedan, while the EX is a coupe
idk if you know but there are ex sedans, i own one.

i would get an ex whether its a coupe or sedan because the manifold design will simplify your intercooler setup and you wont have to do any nonsense iacv 3 to 2 wire conversions to swap manifolds. also a better hp starting point is a plus.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger

Last edited by Blu3; 05-25-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
endo_bobo

Rep Power: 38 sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to sir_bobos

Some prefer the Y7 so the powerband is constant instead of the Vtec crossover. The downdraft IM blows though.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
honda specifies 5w-20 in the d16y7 and d16y8 motors AFTER they produced the cars.

Ive never seen a spun y7 or y8 motor that was maintained properly. Ive seen plenty of them spun with shitty ignorant drivers
Ive never seen an EK with one owner that took care of it, so I suppose its possible youre right. They do seem to spin bearings prolifically though.
Just the other say my neighbor was telling me his Y7 spun a bearing in a bone stock automatic DX. The car was well maintained and not driven hard.

There is something wrong with these engines. I dont know if its the crank or what, but there is something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
idk if you know but there are ex sedans, i own one.
I was not aware of that. Never seen one. lol
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I owned an EX sedan up until recently. Although it was 7th gen.

Fact, the EX started as a sedan...

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
See i shouldnt reply while on cellphone lol.

There are "people running high power without problems"

. RIP

Old 05-25-2016, 06:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Hey Blu3, I tried posting in your build thread before, but I'm not sure if you saw it. How is your civic running? Is it still on the stook internals?
Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

have you tried messaging the member youre asking questions to, instead of chasing his posts? lol
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Fact, the EX started as a sedan...
correct. a '92 ex has four doors, the coupe was introduced in '93.
also, the EX sedan had the option of rear disk brakes (rare).
del sols also had that option.

00 dx coupe with lowering springs, integra brakes, and boosted d16z6!
Quote:
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Aside from motor difference mentioned, ex has: bigger front brakes, color matched door handles, moldings, mirrors, and a sunroof.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for all of the information everyone. I'm going to keep looking for a civic to get and limit it to only EX coupes and sedans. Until I'm going to keep spending all of my time reading build threads and information on here and everywhere else. I think I'm finally starting to understand everything that will go into building a turbo setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in