so my crankshaft snapped on the highway - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Charlstw is learning the way of the DCharlstw is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy so my crankshaft snapped on the highway

hey guys,

about two days ago, on the highway driving, as I sped up to about 110, and switching to make way to the exit lane, I felt quite a snap, little noise of something snapping off, lost drive completely, engine stop working, tachometer at 0rpm, battery light, then oil light came on.

came to a completely stop, the car wont start, first time I had to tow it too.

just last night we took the engine off, and teared it down..

now the top end seems to be fine.. I'm now left with two choices, and the decision making comes again, one way is to put together the B16A sitting around, but costly, and due to a 6 month vehicle inspection regulation, and a engine code stamped on the bottom end of my car, putting in the B16A meaning the cost of $100+usd dollar every 6 months of driving, and that cost can go up or down just depends where to go or who is helping me get thru inspection. I'm leaning towards a high compression SOHC using the P29 piston replacement, fix up the D16Y8. In the future we might consider upgrading stage2 cams, springs, retainers as well, but just wondering if its neccessary to swap the rods, or do I have to use forged internals instead? If I might have plans for a stage2 cam? and fuel pump upgrade or no? are there anything else I need to be careful of before I jump into this repair? It is going to be a DD, so I need reliability as well, what compression ratio should I aim at?

Thanks all in advance!
Charlstw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

what exactly are you asking? why are you doing 110 on public roads? how did your crankshaft snap?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Charlstw is learning the way of the DCharlstw is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
what exactly are you asking? why are you doing 110 on public roads? how did your crankshaft snap?
wait, sorry, 110km/h, highway, thats the speed limit for Taiwan highway, forgot to mention. I havent post enough, so I cant post pics yet.

Basically, the crankshaft pully, and the gear behind it, snapped right off the crankshaft. after tearing down the engine, I think it caused the piston to hit the exhaust valves.

I'm hoping to get some insight on weather to build the B16A pieces laying on around, or to rebuild the D16y8. I know all the pros and cons of both, having the D16Y8 engine in the car makes my yearly inspections easier, but when something like this happen, and crankshafts snapped, pistons damaged, what do I really need to be careful of when doing the repairs? anything?

Old 05-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Pics?
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

find another d16 crank, have it inspected, buy new bearings, and install
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

That's almost to crazy for a crank to snap like that. Don't waste time and find another block, that or find another swap.
jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 05:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

For a D16Y8 I would recommend staying away from P29 pistons, they work better for Z6/A6 style, the Y8 head is better for something flat top. If you are staying NA then you shouldn't need rods, you can always salvage some LS B18 rods and shave the crank end down to fit the D-series and install a bushing for the wrist pin. This will allow stronger rods and still be somewhat light weight. You shouldn't need to upgrade the rods though if you are staying NA, and NA is all about light weight.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
You really want to line bore? Not worth it.... and sketch. Just get another block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtec8k View Post
That's almost to crazy for a crank to snap like that. Don't waste time and find another block, that or find another swap.
This ^
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-serious View Post
You really want to line bore? Not worth it.... and sketch. Just get another block.
to drop in another crank? I did that with my build when my crank was no good. got one from neon
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

These cranks can handle boost past 300hp.. how the fuck does one snap?

Anyways, I would just source another engine. Lke said 5 times ^^up there
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

Title and description is misleading. Along with the speed.

Include your location on your profile or we won't compensate for your region in our responses.

But if you "broke" the pulley and the timing belt gear, yes the valves and pistons will hit.

But define broke... And host pictures at imageshack.us or something and post them here.

You could have lost the big bolt a while back and the pulley and belt gear could have wiggled off since there is literally only a tiny square piece holding it and friction... But if the keyway is no longer square, just get a new crank. Can only comment on the block after pictures...

This thread could have turned to shit fast honestly.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Never heard of a honda crankshaft snapping. Must have been a gem of a crank.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....

Only crank that I have had break cracked in the middle main journal - brand new crank in a race motor turning 8600 RPM - tore the motor down after 4 hours of run time (first time using a brand new crank, had always used seasoned cranks before) and found the center main cracked halfway though...never used a brand new crank after that and have never had one break since then.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

Damn some of your are really dickheads, who cares his speed,

Yes they do break, had a rod journal bust off at the counter weight.

Line bore throws off the oil pump gear.

You guys are ridiculous
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
Pics?
Second this. Pics or lies
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
Damn some of your are really dickheads, who cares his speed,

Yes they do break, had a rod journal bust off at the counter weight.

Line bore throws off the oil pump gear.

You guys are ridiculous
^^
An OEM engine from honda thats unmolested?
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Never heard of a honda crankshaft snapping. Must have been a gem of a crank.
Yea 2x

It must of been rusted to hell.
I can understand the pulley coming lose and eatting the snout, but the crank end just snapping is pretty hard to just iamge happening from just driving

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Hey guys, the engine was removed from the car, I have pictures of it, but I cant post cuz it keeps saying my post count is 0..

anyone I can send them to someone so they can post them up for me?
Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

post the link to the image with a space in it and I will come back and edit it to work, or upload it to an image hosting site and use the img url here
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
^^
An OEM engine from honda thats unmolested?

Yes,

they are not perfect
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in