New to Hondas - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Everything Else » New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Kontrack is learning the way of the DKontrack is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New to Hondas

So a few months back I bought a 99 4 door EK LX for 1400. Everything on the car is cleannnnn. Had a hole in the exhaust but remedied that with full exhaust upgrade and Megan racing muffler. Sounds really good and there very lil notable driving difference.

Fast forward motor is done finished, no good. Needed a swap . Bought a z6. Just dropped it off at the shop yesterday and the motor is out now.

What exactly do I need to complete the swap.

I have a few parts already that I was told I needed.

P28 ecu (with jumper harness)
Z6 dizzy.

What needs to be swapped over.

I need straight answers please guys . I've searched and when I come across other post each one never stays on topic , it goes here and there AND I GET CONFUSED. Please help!!!

Need the help ASAP! I'm still learning Hondas.
Kontrack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

did you put any effort into a search first? 2nd.....lx, is that the y7 or y8 motor?

answer those questions and Ill be back to bust your balls
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Kontrack is learning the way of the DKontrack is learning the way of the D

Yes sir I did search and found stuff but nothing straight forward.

And it is a y7

People been busting my balls all day.
But I seriously need the help!

Old 05-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

so.....why not swap the y7 head onto your z6 block and get on with your life? you don't need a p28. you don't need a jumper harness.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Slo.. he doesnt know these things.. Doesnt know single jingles.. So this is a spooning as usual.. One thing he learn is "EK" which he was already mis-informed. (No such thing as a 4 door EK)

IDK why people spend all that cash on a swap when a turbo is a better building platform.. But hey, thats just me
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

I don't know any of this that's why I'm asking for help!
Old 05-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Lazy Days - Spotlight - Honda Tuning Magazine

Here ya go Kontrack

Their sweat, your reward…
If they’d taken the initiative to do some research online, they could find everything they needed, but it’s going to take some time, and they probably won’t pull all of that info in one night. Maybe that scares some, or perhaps pisses others off, but when you compare the ease of tapping on a keyboard for a few nights in your pajamas to what the forefathers of this industry had to do, it’s a joke to hear complaints. Think about doing an entire swap, finding that the motor isn’t sitting correctly, then pulling everything out and starting all over again. What about trying to figure out what axle will fit your swap by changing them out over and over and over again. Can’t figure out what rear mount to use? There’s no info on it, so you’ll just have to put in a week or two of backbreaking trial and error until you find something that works. How about trying to wire an ECU from a different model and hoping you don’t fry the entire system because there’s absolutely no resource to tell you whether you’re headed in the right direction. These are the things the industry’s forefathers had to constantly deal with, and rather than bitch and moan, they forged ahead—with today’s enthusiast reaping all of the benefits.
No offense, just setting things straight
If you're reading this, and you're new to this community, please, do the research. It's all out there; you just need to dig around a bit. Before you empty your bank account on that big J-series swap for your '96 coupe daily driver, know exactly what you're getting into, it might not be the best thing for you. There's a ton of swap options and we're all excited by the fact that many Honda's motors and chassis are interchangeable, but educate yourself. All of that information floating around on the World Wide Web is there because a dedicated group of hot rodders and forward thinkers poured every bit of their existence into their automotive passion. Don't tread on that - respect it.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 05-12-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
. So this is a spooning as usual..

and Im not giving him any shit lol. I was asking to see what he DOES know. got my answers and gave him simple cheaper options. he doesn't need another ecu and he doesn't need a jumper. all he needs is a head gasket and maybe the z6 intake manifold, but that may require the iacv wire up....which would be a pain in the ass.

c'mon guys, it should be obvious when Im being an asshole
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 05-12-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Neat little read. Kind of reminds me of a video interview I did with Mike Amerson at TDC Performance and how he had to figure out engine swaps back in the day (1996) before there was a wealth of information on the internet.

OP, the information is there I promise. Yeah, these are a lot of trash posts on the internet but that's part of what comes with a community information aggregate; everyone is allowed to post and not everything is meaningful. Here's a tip for searching:

In Google type "site:the site you want to search the topic you're interested in"

Example: click here

Using this method will help narrow your results to one site so you're not bouncing all over Google reading trash posts from all the various sites. You'll also discover how many times the same questions get asked and why people who continue to ask them get slammed in forums. The information is there. Honda modification is not a new subject. Choose your search criteria carefully and prepare for a lot of reading.

My website:
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

but, in the end, its still just easier to swap the y7 head on and plug and play.......
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Yeah but he did say "motor is done finished, no good". I'm not sure what that really means but perhaps a head swap is out of the question. :P

My website:
Old 05-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 nuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunna
Thumbs up

Quote:
Lazy Days - Spotlight - Honda Tuning Magazine

Here ya go Kontrack

Their sweat, your reward…
If they’d taken the initiative to do some research online, they could find everything they needed, but it’s going to take some time, and they probably won’t pull all of that info in one night. Maybe that scares some, or perhaps pisses others off, but when you compare the ease of tapping on a keyboard for a few nights in your pajamas to what the forefathers of this industry had to do, it’s a joke to hear complaints. Think about doing an entire swap, finding that the motor isn’t sitting correctly, then pulling everything out and starting all over again. What about trying to figure out what axle will fit your swap by changing them out over and over and over again. Can’t figure out what rear mount to use? There’s no info on it, so you’ll just have to put in a week or two of backbreaking trial and error until you find something that works. How about trying to wire an ECU from a different model and hoping you don’t fry the entire system because there’s absolutely no resource to tell you whether you’re headed in the right direction. These are the things the industry’s forefathers had to constantly deal with, and rather than bitch and moan, they forged ahead—with today’s enthusiast reaping all of the benefits.
No offense, just setting things straight
If you're reading this, and you're new to this community, please, do the research. It's all out there; you just need to dig around a bit. Before you empty your bank account on that big J-series swap for your '96 coupe daily driver, know exactly what you're getting into, it might not be the best thing for you. There's a ton of swap options and we're all excited by the fact that many Honda's motors and chassis are interchangeable, but educate yourself. All of that information floating around on the World Wide Web is there because a dedicated group of hot rodders and forward thinkers poured every bit of their existence into their automotive passion. Don't tread on that - respect it.
i was in your shoes once OP, i did many searches on many forums, google and SoCalCivic when it was around were both my greatest weapons when i did my first engine build and it wasn't one of the easiest ones to do, but i had accomplished my B20vtec. Set your mind to it read up on a few forums with the basics. As far as your answers on what you will need to finish your swap you need to be a little more specific.
you said you have P28 ecu and jumper harness. do you have the jumper harness for the vtec solenoid . have you done your research which pins you will need to tap into on the ecu in order for it to work.
NEVER RUSH YOUR BUILD I SPEAK OF EXPERIENCE DO MULTIPLE SEARCHES DONT BE THESE JACKASSES THAT "KNOW IT ALL", WITHOUT EVEN DOING THEIR OWN WORK.
IN THIS COMMUNITY YOU WILL LEARN, AND TAUGHT CORRECTLY.
DONT GIVE UP

-Pata

Insta: @SNLPWRX
Xbox Gamer Tag: DynamikBREH
95 Civic EG8 R.I.P
98 Civic EJ8 R.I.P
15 WRX STi
nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

if you are having a shop do it, why are you asking us what the hell to do? let the shop deal with it, you are paying them to do it.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

^^

Could be a general shop which doesnt know hondas or honda interchangeability..

So OP gives them the parts and they do the work..

then prays everything works

Old 05-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

the shop should be smart enough to realize if the motor is wrong for the car, or will know how to find info out.

but we all know slotting the y7 distributor and mounting it to the z6 head is super hard and not ever done...........

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
the shop should be smart enough to realize if the motor is wrong for the car, or will know how to find info out.

but we all know slotting the y7 distributor and mounting it to the z6 head is super hard and not ever done...........
but he could keep the y7 head and just have a stock car lol. or, he could buy a y8 head and ecu......

maybe Im being too nice

koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Since making this post all I have been doing is searching and gathering info! I will say some stuff has been good to read and learn and other confusing BUT I'm learning.
Think I'm making pretty good progress!

Don't like getting my balls busted but I guess I deserved it with the lack of knowledge before doing all this.

But it's all good I'll let you guys know what happens . I'm still reading everything I can and just asking questions!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Ok here we go. So the motor is in and it doesn't start! It cranks but won't start!

I'm using a full z6 motor. Head , block and dizzy. Also using a p28 ecu and I have the jumper harness for it. We swapped the injectors from the y7.
I also threw some new stuff in there while the motor was out.

New slim radiator , fan, water pump and timing belt kit, new clutch, motor mount plus replaced a few seals here and there.

What could it be? Could it be that the timing is off? Could it be a bad ecu? Could it be that it's not getting enough gas!?

I'm still doing research!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Just like any engine, you need fuel, spark, and compression to run. Figure out which of those you're missing then you can properly start troubleshooting.

My website:
Old 05-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Forgot to mention I'm using the alternator from the y7 also.

Could it be the car isn't getting spark maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in