First engine swap.... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 KidWhoLovesHonda is worse than Satan's assholeKidWhoLovesHonda is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default First engine swap....

So, I will be doing my first engine swap/turbo engine build soon. I am getting a b18a1 with a chipped crank. He says the bolt loosened from the harmonic balancer and chipped some sort of crank. The only reason im getting it is because the engine is $50. So with this, I have a few questions.

1. I realize that I will need to do the mpfi wiring, besides that can I keep the rest of my obd0 wiring?

2. What crank is he talking about that is chipped?

3. Can I use my current motor mounts? If not, can you link me to some decent ones that are rather inexpensive? Or can I go to a junkyard and find some integra motor mounts?

4. I plan on using supertech pistons, can someone recommend a good cam and cam gear and rods to buy?

5. how much boost would I be able to run reliably with forged pistons, rods and a good cam?

6. Which intake/exhaust manifolds are compatible with the obd0 b18a1?

Thanks in advance.
KidWhoLovesHonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Lol.
The notor is damage and wont work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWhoLovesHonda View Post
So, I will be doing my first engine swap/turbo engine build soon. I am getting a b18a1 with a chipped crank. He says the bolt loosened from the harmonic balancer and chipped some sort of crank. The only reason im getting it is because the engine is $50. So with this, I have a few questions.

1. I realize that I will need to do the mpfi wiring, besides that can I keep the rest of my obd0 wiring?

2. What crank is he talking about that is chipped?

3. Can I use my current motor mounts? If not, can you link me to some decent ones that are rather inexpensive? Or can I go to a junkyard and find some integra motor mounts?

4. I plan on using supertech pistons, can someone recommend a good cam and cam gear and rods to buy?

5. how much boost would I be able to run reliably with forged pistons, rods and a good cam?

6. Which intake/exhaust manifolds are compatible with the obd0 b18a1?

Thanks in advance.
First off, before you worry about steps 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6. You need to worry about step 2. You need to get that checked out and fixed. My guess is you probably will not have the tools nor the knowledge to go about checking your crank. You should go to a professional to help you out there.

Second, you need to let us know what type of car this is that you have. We can make guesses but we do not want to make assumptions.

Third, what year is the B18a? The B18a came in both OBD0 and 0BD1 depending on the year.

Fourth which should be first, why do you want this swap? What do you currently have and what are your goals? Are you looking to be faster? Be cooler with a swap? Learn how to do something?

My advice is to search around the NA performance, Turbo performance and Engine Build section before you buy that B18a engine. You would be better off saving that $50 and putting it towards the engine you currently have.
Little Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 KidWhoLovesHonda is worse than Satan's assholeKidWhoLovesHonda is worse than Satan's asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Wolf View Post
First off, before you worry about steps 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6. You need to worry about step 2. You need to get that checked out and fixed. My guess is you probably will not have the tools nor the knowledge to go about checking your crank. You should go to a professional to help you out there.

Second, you need to let us know what type of car this is that you have. We can make guesses but we do not want to make assumptions.

Third, what year is the B18a? The B18a came in both OBD0 and 0BD1 depending on the year.

Fourth which should be first, why do you want this swap? What do you currently have and what are your goals? Are you looking to be faster? Be cooler with a swap? Learn how to do something?

My advice is to search around the NA performance, Turbo performance and Engine Build section before you buy that B18a engine. You would be better off saving that $50 and putting it towards the engine you currently have.
Sorry for the lack of information....

This is going to be going into a 1991 ef hatchback. Still has the stock d15b2 engine and DPFI system so I am aware that I will have to do all of that wiring
I believe that the b18 is obd0. from a 91 integra.

I mainly want the swap to be faster. I heard that this would be a more reliable engine when it comes to boost. I also think it will be a beginner experience as I move on to more complicated engines and cars in the future.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

A B18 for $50 would be a steal in the UK ... unless there's something wrong with it. My guess is that the crank is past saving, or at least past spending any more money on the mods you're discussing.

I'd look elsewhere for an alternative.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

^ what Sailor said, look elsewhere for an engine. The amount of cash you will use to fix or replace the crank, let alone if the block needs to go to a machine shop you could grab yourself a healthy B18/B20/B16 these days.

Save your money and pass on this engine. All you would need to do is the MPFI mod to get it running once you get that crank sorted out.

When the deal sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true
Little Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

if the bolt backed out, the snout is probably toast. google is your friend with the swap info, not to mention the search function here. Id take the engine to a machine shop before you do anything else and ask them their opinion
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Wolf View Post
^ what Sailor said, look elsewhere for an engine.
Yes. I meant to add that if a bolt has flown off the balancer in such a way as to chip the crank, it will probably have rattled around enough to do even more damage.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Yes. I meant to add that if a bolt has flown off the balancer in such a way as to chip the crank, it will probably have rattled around enough to do even more damage.
So what if I am able to get the engine for $20? I saw that I can get the whole harmonic balancer assembly for around $30. Is it difficult to install a new one? Even if I get it for $50, wouldn't the internals/head be worth more than $50 if I decided to resell it for parts?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

BTW, I have time to build it... I want it to be a summer project for me to take my time and learn
Old 05-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
So what if I am able to get the engine for $20? I saw that I can get the whole harmonic balancer assembly for around $30. Is it difficult to install a new one? Even if I get it for $50, wouldn't the internals/head be worth more than $50 if I decided to resell it for parts?
true you can part it out for more money.
but with your skill level i doubt your be able to get this motor running.

id pass on this motor unless 1) your going to part it out
2) you have extra money to rebuild it and can find another crank.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

its not even about the balancer, its about the crank being useless. it would cost more to find another d16b16/18 crank in good condition, not to mention finding one that needs a bit of work. if you know for a fact people want the head or pistons, by all means, buy it and flip it.

youre better off hitting a local yard and pulling oil pans and checking the cranks and deciding from there if you want another engine to rebuild.

edited to fix my mistake.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 05-09-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

D16 cranks don't work in b18s.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
D16 cranks don't work in b18s.
touch'e. welp, scratch the scrap yard and add some more money to source them and repair them. good looking out
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
touch'e. welp, scratch the scrap yard and add some more money to source them and repair them. good looking out
assuming that I can find another b18a1 crank, how hard is it to replace that part?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

I see the part on ebay for $99
Old 05-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

remove oil pan
remove rear main seal
remove oil pump
remove rod bolts and caps
remove girdle
remove crank
replace rod bearings
replace main bearings
replace thrust washer
repeat in reverse order

good luck finding a crank in good condition for less than 100$ before a shop checks it out.

Quote:
I see the part on ebay for $99
they have one of these for 99$? shieeet, jump on it real quick and go cut yours off and weld the new one on

koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 05-09-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

"Usually" when people say the crank ___ is chipped... They mean the crank pulley get's chipped.

But yes, if the bolt fell out, that is not a good thing. The bolt is actually suppose to be oiled according to the HELMs manual...

Lmao Slo! But really.. Figure out what he hell the seller is talking about. Just because it's cheap, doesn't make it a good deal. You need to do more research for sure.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in