d16y7 turbo build .... show a noob some hospitality - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation d16y7 turbo build .... show a noob some hospitality

Completely rebuilt engine......
D16y7
Y8 intake has the air ports off a newer y8
Dsm 450cc injectors
Resistor box
T3 .50ar rc racing ebay
Bov ebay (yeah I know...)
32mm wastegate lbs idk (I'll change it soon)
Po7 but was told I got a 28
Obd2a to obd1 jumper

Sounds simple yeah that was my first mistake this sht is racking my brain.... so I got the whole set up on after I drove the rebuilt engine around for a few weeks. The thing starts up and is idle at 2500 bummer right.. give gas and boggs out at 3ish. Thinking I did something wrong. Apon further investigation vaccume lines boost leak re flash the chip from a tuner and still Same puzzled look on my face.. BTW I drove 80 miles on a Sunday at 10 at night to get a re flash, next day get it in and hooked up same sht. I checked the map n the other one tps. It's not so then I got the codes they were coolant temp sensor, tps sensor, tdc cyl sensor and eld. The eld can be deleted so no worries. I'm like fk.... so what now. I looked into it and found the pcm still had rp18 resistor still in tac so I put the jumper in like sweet that wasn't my falt I'll take that .... yeah not so lucky still the same... now off to the idle issue yet again, looked into that obd2a to obd1 3 wire iacv on car well the obd1 has 2 wire so I tryed the trick but realized the harnest was wired a14 n a12 and a13 not used so what now .... I have a video of issue and codes , I will provide any more info please help
gregfromohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Default some pics

I know the vaccume line on the bov is wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160501_155046.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	809.0 KB
ID:	107218   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160201_122737.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	731.9 KB
ID:	107226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160501_155102.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	987.6 KB
ID:	107234  
Old 05-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Default pcm

The pcm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160503_233151.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	107242   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_233159.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	526.3 KB
ID:	107250  

Old 05-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

without knowing WHAT car you have and why you turbo'd something that obviously has some issues, we cannot help

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

also, trash that eBay bullshit harness adapter

EDIT do not delete the eld. that is responsible for letting the ecu know when to turn the alternator on or partially off. do not bypass it

Build what you have!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

As much as Id like to throw you some hospitality, you sir have a build that was thrown together and prayed that it would work correctly.
IDK if it was you or maybe you bought it like that..but whatever the case, its fuct up

Just from reading your post is teling me you need to fix alot of things before thinking of boost.

Theres tons of how-to's and build sheets out there for people to learn the correct way.

Just need some savvy searching
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Last edited by Esotericimage; 05-03-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 02:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

The car ran fine before I put the turbo on I can plugg stock ecu in and stock injectors purrs like a kitten, so turbo a car that has issues Is wrong? The car is 98 ek but you would know what it was by telling you it's obd2a? People have these builds all the fkin time what do you mean .....smh
Old 05-04-2016, 03:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

So did your reflash take into account the larger injectors?

I mean you say you're looking at a tune ... at least I think so ... punctuation is your friend by they way.

It sounds like someone guessed at a tune and you threw it in praying it would work.

How are your AFRs, timing maps, mechanical timing?

I'm no tuner but from the tiny amount I do know from reading stuff here ... those would be the culprits I would look into.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

The map was done by a tuner in youngstown that was my first thought. I got the original one from ebay. Mechanical timing is on the money. I need a wideband but I smell fuel it's almost like it's in limp mode.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Sorry about the punctuation, I'm not very good at it.
I'm just lost I seen this same set up a few times for a budget build I thought it seemed really easy. I mean there's nothing under the hood lol.
Idk if it's the ecu or injectors but like I said I can put my stock ecu and injectors in and it's just fine , someone mentioned the jumper from obd2a to obd1 is junk, but I checked the pin outs it is all right. The map like I said is a 3 wire I guess I need to get an obd1 intake? Also why would it be throwing tdc code and map? Can obd1 run my engine or do I need all new sencors from an obd1
Old 05-04-2016, 04:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

I mean the iacv not the map my bad
Old 05-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Homie, there's really no quantifiable data here to guide you in the right direction. Timing being "on the money" and "smelling fuel" is not how you diagnose engine issues. In a nutshell if your car runs fine in stock form but has issues with the turbo, then go back to stock and add pieces back to the engine until you have a problem.

First, put your turbo back on but don't touch the ECU or injectors. Start the car. Does it idle fine?

Yes? Go to the next step.
No? You found a problem. Correct the malfunction before adding the next component.

Keep adding components one at a time until the issue is found if you can't or don't want to gather data.

Edit: Well, smelling fuel is in fact a trouble shooting method, but not how you know you have adequate fuel in absence of a wide band sensor.

My website:

Last edited by keel_hauled; 05-04-2016 at 05:28 AM.
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

IDK why people still use DSM injectors and that retarded resistor box when correct injectors are plug and play. Jeez, reminds me of 2003 all over again.

That "whatever" tune obviously isnt right. if your smelling raw fuel, you possibly could be washing the rings which means internal damage..

Ive always said, when people try to save a buck, itll cost them 2

your not alone, every kid out there has tried to go boost on the cheap thinking theyre the one whos gonne make it work. It ends up costing them as much or more cash if they just did it right the 1st time.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

im going with shity install and shity tune.
Start over and go over everything and make sure its all installed correctly.
Also you shouldnt have a 3 wire iacv. you need to swap in a 2 wire one.
And the air injector holes need to be fill on the manifold or your have a vac leak

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

you said its p07 mapped? does that mean its using p07 fuel trims? go to another shop that tunes and ask them to show you what everything is set at. odds are, youre running a stock map
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

I fix all the airport ground equipment from 3hp Briggs n strat to Cummings tld air starts t444e international associate degree in automotive technology and roughly 10 yr in the shop, I took my good ol time putting this setup on. I'm not perfect and not a know it all that's why I'm asking if anyone has had this issue. It looked so easy online but I'm like wtf .... I know my mechanical standpoint on this operation is on point. Timing is tdc with crank and cam is just a hair retarded.i just don't know the tricks and swaps tricks. The tuner is a well well known tuner , I don't doubt his work one bit, idk if it's a Po7 or po6 or p28 the sticker inside and out was removed. But I do know apon research the pcm was an automatic. But with all the codes there's something more than just the iacv. Possibly switch to the obd1 intake?? Thinking the computer was wrong??? Not un appreciative but I need advice not criticism please just asking for help!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
im going with shity install and shity tune.
Start over and go over everything and make sure its all installed correctly.
Also you shouldnt have a 3 wire iacv. you need to swap in a 2 wire one.
And the air injector holes need to be fill on the manifold or your have a vac leak
I already filled them in
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo-00152.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	107314  
Old 05-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfromohio View Post
I need advice not criticism
Criticism is advice. If you don't heed the critics then you're going to go nowhere fast. It looks like you have a few options here from people who have supplied advice and you still have a lot of unknowns. Figure out your unknowns and you'll figure out your problem.

My website:
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by keel_hauled View Post
Criticism is advice. If you don't heed the critics then you're going to go nowhere fast. It looks like you have a few options here from people who have supplied advice and you still have a lot of unknowns. Figure out your unknowns and you'll figure out your problem.
I know I'm just very frustrated thanks everyone I'll post what I come up with toniggt
Old 05-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

sometimes frustration is a driving force for learning

start with basic diagnosing. is the wiring okay? am I getting 12 volts and 5 volts where I need it? are the connectors good?

is anything getting really hot? heat=extra resistance, which can lead to poor sensor performance

mechanically, have you checkled everything? any vacuum leaks? any fluid leaks? oil/coolant/tranny fluid

grab a can of carb cleaner and dust the intake manifold while its running. does it idle up?

a TON of shit can be done in a short hour or two to narrow the playing field

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in