What do I need to swap my d15b8 to a D16Y7 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What do I need to swap my d15b8 to a D16Y7

Bought a 95 Civic CX, and the stock motor, a D15B8 is on its way out. Found a cheap D16Y7, and I am wondering if I can just swap the engine and computer, or if theres more I need. I have the B20 transmission, would that hold up?
Thanks
tjmortenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

The ECUs are different generations, different numbers of O2 sensor wires, 3 wire vs 2 wire IACV.....

If you are just looking to get your car going I am sure you could simply drop in the D16y7 longblock and run it with the D15b8 ECU/intake manifold/transmission, it wont be great but it should get you up and going.

If I was doing it and wanted decent performance out of it I would put in the D16y7, with a D series Si/Ex hydro transmission, and get a p06 ecu and either add the extra 3 wires for a 4 wire O2 sensor or chip it to run a single wire O2 sensor, and use a z6 or y8 2 wire IACV intake manifold and injectors.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

OK cool. And it will bolt up to my transmission?

Old 12-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

I'm just looking to get the car going, I bought it for 50 bucks. It runs and drives as is, but has a blown head gasket, and has only 100 psi compression in one cylinder
Old 12-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmortenson View Post
Bought a 95 Civic CX, and the stock motor, a D15B8 is on its way out. Found a cheap D16Y7, and I am wondering if I can just swap the engine and computer, or if theres more I need. I have the B20 transmission, would that hold up?
Thanks
B20 tranny won't fit a d-series motor without lots of mods.

To add to the info above. You will need to swap the alternator,injectors and distributor. Wire for a 4 wire o2 sensor depending on what Ecu you use.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4

Last edited by 2jzdreamin; 12-10-2015 at 12:55 PM.
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

bro, welcome to d-so, but for the love of all things jdm, SEARCH.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

What blew the headgasket? Overheating? Is the blown headgasket causing the low compression?
Old 12-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

If I don't have the b20, what transmission do I have? It had low compression before the head gasket blew, I'm guessing the rings are bad.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

My bad, meant S20 transmission. Will the d16 bolt up to the s20?
Old 12-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

You're probably referring to the transmission stamp nearby the axle area, or being dead serious about putting B20 trans on D16? B000 is ex trans A000 is non vtec trans. Sometimes the best thing to do in these situation is to find a running D16 long block and swap that instead to avoid the extra headaches by mixing parts..

Last edited by jvtec8k; 12-10-2015 at 03:11 PM.
jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Yea, if the tranny bolted to a stock b8, it will bolt to a stock y7.

Put the b8 alternator, intake manifold, and injectors on the y7 engine, install in car, done.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in