trans swap for 91 CRX si - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default trans swap for 91 CRX si

So I have checked through a lot of different forums and my eyes are starting to hurt. Need a new trans for my 91 CRXSi and want something with a better final drive. Found a 91 Civic DX trans. Would this fit or am I going to run into a problem with the splines? Would it be an easy swap or more parts to get for it?
blkhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You can use any of the cable trans but what do you consider a better final drive, the Si cable trans is pretty well geared from factory.

The only things that you can run into when swapping a different cable tranny into your car will be the input shaft splines on the 88 were different but you can just replace the clutch disc if this happens. Also the DOHC ZC trans would be the only trans that would require different axles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

What I have read is that the Si trans has a 4.25 final drive and the dx has a 3.88. That's what I want. not looking to race or anything like that just want something a little more comfortable on the road. I will be rebuilding the Si trans once out though and keeping it.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

From what I have read the HF would be the best for final drive. At 60 mph that would put the Rpms at 2272 compared to the Si which is 3632 and Dx at 3323.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

only reason for the DX FD is because of engine/exhaust drone noise.

In that case DX with stock .771 5th or Si with 92-00 .702 5th.

Close ratio ZC and got 48 mpg, so it isn't about getting better gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Not looking for mpg just what you stated with engine/exhaust noise
Old 12-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

dreaded 3500-3600 rpm drone with 4.25/.771, but it is the "better/more fun" 65-70 mph gear if you have to pass someone, like a truck governed at 67 mph and everyone else is doing 75+ mph.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Yeah don't get me wrong I love the trans. But it needs rebuilt and this is my daily so I would like to just drop the one I found to hold me over for the winter!!!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

if both input shafts have two rings on the tips, direct/easy swap.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in