Noob question! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Noob question!

Hi guys,
I've been reading the forums and haven't found a case exactly like mine so I thought I'd ask the experts.
I have a '99 Civic VP automatic D16y7 stock with low compression in #3. To fix the daily driver, I recently bought a '97 Civic EX automatic with a D16y8 that was in a front end accident. It has run since the accident, so I think it's a viable replacement. So far in my reading, it appears the motor will bolt right in. If I use the Y7 manifolds and distributer, it should run without changing any thing else. The only issue is Vtec won't work. Am I correct?
If I want to hook up the Vtec, I need the '97 EX's engine wiring harness and I'll have some issues with OBD2a ('97) and OBD2b ('99). Is that correct? How do I deal with that and are there other problems to cure.
I don't really need the Vtec to work. I'm looking to get my dependable around town car to run again not built a hot rod.
thanks, Dave
DinosaurDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up

You are on the right track.
I have some questions about the reason behind the low compression.
Is the compression test the only test you have performed?
No leak down test?

If the valves are the loss of compression, that would be an easier repair than an engine swap.

Valve lash adjusted?

VTEC will not work unless you swap to a VTEC harness and ECU(I believe). With no VTEC you might not be happy with the top end power of the Y8.

If the piston rings are the problem and the head/valvetrain are good, you can just swap the Y8 block under the Y7 head and leave everything else Y7.

If the head gasket is leaking just install a new OEM head gasket.
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

That more will drop right in and all will bolt up.
Just swap the block and head and use everything else from your 99 Y7

as far as vtec you would need a obd2b 99-00 ex ecu. Then your have to run a knock sensor and wires for the vtec solenoid and oil pressure switch.

If you dont care for vtec you can run it off of the ecu you have now. IT wont be the best thing but it will run and the car will drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the responses! The '99 Y7 has 115,000 miles and suddenly started to run rough and had a misfire #3 code. I've been looking for ways to fix it. I've read in the Y7 burnt valves are not uncommon. There was a pool of oil in the #4 spark plug well that makes me think the pressure inside the valve cover ( from leaking #3 valve blew oil by the o-ring. Compression tester showed 180psi in #1,2 and 4, #3 was 75psi. This parts car '99 EX turned up as a quick way to get my car running, but also a supply of spare parts as my son has a '97 ex coupe with a manual transmission. Lot's of parts we can both use. The D16y8 without Vtec should give the same performance as the stock D16y7, correct? As long as it's the equal to what I had, it's the easiest, cheapest fix. Plus I'll have most of the parts I'll need on hand to make the Vtec work if I decide to.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Yes the power output should be very close.
That compression could be a bad valve or rings.
Either way if you have another motor you can easily put it in and have a working car. And like you said your have most stuff to become vtec if needed.
Just make sure to swap the knock sensor also and leave some length on the wires for when you use the y8 ecu.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks, my plan is to switch engines and run as a "non-Vtec" D16Y8 using the D16Y7 manifolds and wiring and ECU. Later I'll take the Y7 engine apart to see what the actual problem is, repair and either keep as a spare or sell. After the switch prove a good D16Y8, maybe I'll complete the swap if I'm not happy with the performance.
Many thanks again! Dave
Old 12-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

I've been doing some more reading on this forum and have another question regarding this swap. One of the threads says if the D16Y8 is an automatic, it's intake manifold is different than the 5 speed manual intake. The thread was about a similar swap ( I think it was about putting a Y8 head on a Y7 block) and someone responded that if both were an automatic it would plug in and work OK. So, I restate my case. I have a '99 Civic VP with a Y7, automatic. putting in a '97 Y8 that is currently in it's car with an automatic. The thought was to change only the engine and use the existing Y7 manifolds, dizzy, and wiring with ECU. can I use the Y8 intake? Will it plug in and work correctly without changing any thing else. If so, will it work better than the Y7 intake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in