Looking into boost... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Looking into boost...

I have a stock JDM D15b VTEC.
Compression test came out to about 185~ psi across the board.
Already have ARP head studs installed.
Running virgin P28.
Unknown miles on motor.

Was thinking an eBay turbo kit, and swap out the turbo.

Advice? Other than don't boost it or build it first because I don't have the time or another means of transportation for that.
logan.vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Go for it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Go for a more basic kit, dont get crazy. Cast iron manifold and smaller turbo if you want reliability from ebay kit. Good idea to replace the turbo oil feed line and make sure it has an appropriate oil restrictor. Get basemap and dont do any pulls before you get it tuned, not a single one, just dont hit boost at all if you can help it.

I cant tell you the number of times I have heard of honda people who got their new turbo setup all put together and installed and blew the engine on the way to the tuners because they wanted to see what it felt like.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

keep it simple stupid. KISS.

ebay kit is fine, but swap out the turbo for a good name brand one that fits. i would also do the same with the bov.

then you can get her running and upgrade from there.

upgrade to t bolt clamps and legit couplers.

the ebay intercoolers are actually good, and ran 450hp threw one years ago, never an issue, intake air temperatures were always good and even.

ohh and keep the boost low like 4psi or so until you tune it.

keep in mind with stock pistons and rods, your power level is going to be some where in the 215whp range to be safe. in my opinion.

gl.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
Go for a more basic kit, dont get crazy. Cast iron manifold and smaller turbo if you want reliability from ebay kit. Good idea to replace the turbo oil feed line and make sure it has an appropriate oil restrictor. Get basemap and dont do any pulls before you get it tuned, not a single one, just dont hit boost at all if you can help it.

I cant tell you the number of times I have heard of honda people who got their new turbo setup all put together and installed and blew the engine on the way to the tuners because they wanted to see what it felt like.
I have a friend who knows how to tune in Crome. He has a d16a6 on 6psi and tunes his own stuff. Would that be sufficient or do you recommend a dyno tune? And what about a wideband?
logan.vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 masterl1nk is learning the way of the Dmasterl1nk is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan.vtec View Post
I have a friend who knows how to tune in Crome. He has a d16a6 on 6psi and tunes his own stuff. Would that be sufficient or do you recommend a dyno tune? And what about a wideband?
Chinese ebay turbo kits ran fine until turbo seals get broken. Then you will notice some smoke on exhaust (product of oil leaks from CHRA)

Elbows, intercooler and piping are great products. The turbocharger is the only weak piece in the kit. You can replace it later.

Tuning with crome is a good idea, since you're going to boost around 6-7 PSI you don't need to replace MAP sensor. Wideband is not elemental but it's a good security instrument. For 6 PSI you can go lean as 12.5:1 without any problem.
masterl1nk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 06:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 UltimX is learning the way of the DUltimX is learning the way of the D

Dyno tune only, street tuning isnt very efficient and you need some way of measuring how far into the window u are. U will never be able to tell with street tuning.
UltimX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Dont buy an ebay kit. You wont have a usable downpipe, and half the time you get a manifold that is made of tin foil.

You should buy my kit:
he doesn't have the post count to see

Last edited by slo_eg8; 12-16-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimX View Post
Dyno tune only, street tuning isnt very efficient and you need some way of measuring how far into the window u are. U will never be able to tell with street tuning.
Street tuning does work.
For a DD setup i believe its the best since you get some real road feel to it.
Vs a dyno which is mainly meant for power pulls.
But to each there own.

I tune it like i drive it and then do some back to back pulls with real air and speed hitting the car.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Start on the dyno and work your way backwards I think, it really depends on the tuner if they make max power and make the car streetable. My first dyno tune had no real streetability issues besides backfiring every now and then and a mild tune, my second tune was much better on power but such a shitty tune that as soon as I got on the streets I knew I had issues

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in