y8 race setup questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default y8 race setup questions

Hello all, just signed up tonite basically bc every time I google something this site comes up so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I have a 99 civic ex project car that won't be driven for awhile so I can take my time and do whatever I want to it. It's a y8 motor that I'm prepping to pull out and completely rebuild for a sleeved, low compression turbo setup. I guess my questions are based on all these engine setups that basically sound like all these external systems are disconnected and ports are welded shut etc. I'm mainly talking about eliminating Fitv, iacv, thermostat, and pretty much any unneeded vac lines and coolant/water bypass hoses. Basically going for a clean looking race setup. Forgive me if I'm way off here but are all these systems able to be deleted by tuning the ecu? how do I know what I absolutely have to keep and what can be removed and sealed off?

Thank you for reading...
Kmc2106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Also, what is this? I'm talking about the actuator looking thing with a cable that's attached to a hose that leads to the psgr side of the engine. I've searched high and low on the Internet and in manuals, can't find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1447902476465.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	668.7 KB
ID:	98610  
Old 11-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

hahahahahaha are you serious?

that's for your heater lol.
that cable opens the line so hot water can flow through the heater core and air is blown over it and heats the car.

before you build your car, buy a Haynes or google a pdf for your year and do a bunch of reading. for instance, you don't really need to sleeve your block.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Lol sadly yes. I appreciate ur reply. I do have a Haynes manual and it's real good but I couldn't locate that part in there. My bad.
As for sleeving the block, I wanted to run high boost so I figured that would strengthen its integrity. Is that wrong? Also, any input on the 1st part of my question regarding the various vac lines and bypass lines, iacv, Fitv, and ecu tuning?
Old 11-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

do. a. search. its. been. covered.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

I'm a member for like an hour. Thanks for giving me the warm and fuzzies. Douche.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

enjoy your stay
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
hahahahahaha are you serious?
I think he really is.

I just love it when they say they want a race car that there going to fully build, but dont even know how to change a spark plug lol.....

@Kmc2106

Remove stuff till the car no longer works.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 JakeKaminskisRacing is learning the way of the DJakeKaminskisRacing is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc2106 View Post
Lol sadly yes. I appreciate ur reply. I do have a Haynes manual and it's real good but I couldn't locate that part in there. My bad.
As for sleeving the block, I wanted to run high boost so I figured that would strengthen its integrity. Is that wrong? Also, any input on the 1st part of my question regarding the various vac lines and bypass lines, iacv, Fitv, and ecu tuning?
My question is when you say race? Are you referring to drag racing or on a track?

Don't know much about drag racing setups, however on track I can help you out if needed. If you're planning on tracking the car, the one thing I can suggest is to not go turbo. Not many D series turbo setups get through a 20 minute session before overheating begins to happen.

Plus depending on your experience, far easier to learn how to drive fast in a slow car versus trying to learn with a "built" car. Not too mention when a car is "built" before you have experience. You really have no idea as to what the car really needs. So majority of the modifications can actually hinder your cars ability to corner.

Last edited by JakeKaminskisRacing; 11-18-2015 at 08:30 PM.
JakeKaminskisRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

We where all noobs at one time. To OP what I use to do was go to junkyard the pull shit apart to learn because I had no one to teach me. You don't need to resleeve. Check out vitara builds. They are a bit overrated now but for the best bang per $$$ you can't really beat a vitara build. Most guys make 400+ whp on stock sleeves. Resleeving will just waste your money. But it all falls down primarily to what your building it for? Drag only, street and weekend worrior, which is what most come on here to ask about, or auto crossing? Try not to get on ppls bad side here. Lots of flamers here and ppl who want to be right all the time. Some have reasons to flame and some are like those bitchy customers who find reasons to get mad. Hope this thread will get somewhere positive.
honda_couped16y8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Hey I appreciate u understanding where I'm coming from. I'm considered a noob but I have mechanical aptitude having been around cars and repair shops for about 15 yrs now. I'm 37 so I'm no kid. Just trying to get a grasp on some of this stuff. When I say "race", I mean more drag than anything but it's going to be more of a summer/fair weather car. Probably take it off the road in the winter months and garage it. Anyway, I was under the assumption that if I have the block sleeved it increases strength therefore allowing for higher boost pressure. I was planning on having the crank shaved and balanced and running cp Pistons 9:1, crower or Carrillo rods, and ferrea/crower valvetrain. Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Do some digging in the showcase thread and find a build with a similar amount of hp or something that's close to your goals.

I don't see why sleeving a block is pointless as some say. If you have the money and wanna sleeve it, than have at it.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Cool I'll check that out. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in