Intro. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Intro.

Hello... I'm new, currently I'm trying to figure out the best way to create an autox/fun beast for my dad who has a crx.

I have an old corolla with some strange vtec motor swapped into it. It'll run someday.

Last edited by sprockmember; 11-16-2015 at 07:33 PM.
sprockmember is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 JakeKaminskisRacing is learning the way of the DJakeKaminskisRacing is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockmember View Post
Hello... I'm new, currently I'm trying to figure out the best way to create an autox/fun beast for my dad who has a crx.
Welcome!

I have an old corolla with some strange vtec motor swapped into it. It'll run someday.
Well to make an autocross car is pretty simple, all boils down to ensuring the all the bushings are in good shape, if not replace them. Get some decent shocks, typically Koni Sport Yellows are the ticket to success considering the bang for the buck. If you have some spare change to spend on them, get the race valved ones or custom valved according to whichever springs you decide to run. Ground control coilover sleeves are also super affordable and pretty much used on most of the STS CRX cars that run. From there, a great set of tires like BFG Rival S or Bridgestone RE71Rs.

You want the car to be relatively loose, meaning more oversteer. The car has to be agile enough to change direction. This means whoever is driving will have to be quick with the reflexes and adapt to how the car handles fairly quick. That comes with seat time.

A good set of brake pads like Hawk HP+ work really well for autocross. Some stainless brake lines, and good fluid always a necessity! ATE Type 2000 works great, same as the old "Super Blue" but just no longer blue thanks to the EPA.

Hope that helps! Remember racing is about getting out there and doing it! Don't feel you have to dump a ton of money into a setup right off hand, that can be taken care of over time after the driver learns the basics, under the impression this will be the first time autocrossing.

Get out there and have some fun! Spend a lot of time walking the courses to start off the mornings. Learning the course in a short time frame is the true challenge to any autocross, and it directly applies to learning new road courses when that time comes!
JakeKaminskisRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 JakeKaminskisRacing is learning the way of the DJakeKaminskisRacing is learning the way of the D

Sorry typo, ATE TYPE 200 for the brake fluid, not 2000!

Old 11-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks! I should say that the scene is so small up here, that we (my dad and I) just focus on the fun of driving, not classes.

He's already running the gc/koni set-up... which is wonderful. I installed the "master-whatever" bushing set a few years back as well. Brakes are stock, but he has the integra rear arm/disc set-up and some clean fluid. He's also recently had a grippy clutch, lightened flywheel and a decent lsd installed... which made a HUGE difference.

The last two years he's been getting used Hoosier Spec Miata tires and thrashing them.

At this point... he wants more power... which is why I'm here. Not going to lie... I need like 50-some more posts and 90 days so I can get into the classifieds!
Old 11-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Yes... also... we've been running cars at a local level for years now... we're actually just getting to the point where we want to start hitting up events elsewhere and schools... heard nothing but good about the evo schools. Ever been to a formal "training" school like that? Worth it?
Old 11-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

After reading your intro Jake... many parts of my previous posts in this thread make me sound like an idiot...

What a way to make a first impression!
Old 11-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Oh, from what you typed didn't know you had any experience autocrossing. That's awesome!

I started out competing in autocross in 2006 with my 2002 Civic Si, I had some of the best autocrossers, most were National Champions, in the country to learn from. They taught me the ropes and I picked up from there.

I then transitioned to HPDEs in 2007 because I wanted more seat time and higher speeds that only a road course could provide. After a few years I became an instructor for local groups and met up with a local. His name is Shields Bergstrom and it turned out he was a professional racer. Racing for teams like Prodrive, and I believe he's racing for Audi. Used to race Formula 3 as well as LeMans. He kinda took me under his wing and helped me progress a lot.

However I never attended any formal school. I just learned by attending events and learning from people I met at the track. All were accomplished racers.

Only real school I took was in order to obtain my competition license through NASA Midwest. I have been racing ever since.

I don't think it's necessary to attend those schools, however I am positive it would definitely help speed up the learning curve quite a bit!
Old 11-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockmember View Post
After reading your intro Jake... many parts of my previous posts in this thread make me sound like an idiot...

What a way to make a first impression!
Didn't make you sound like an idiot, just didn't give the impression of having experience yet! So not a problem man, don't take it too hard!
Old 11-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

I wish there was a bit more of a scene where I'm at in Montana... not a ton of "accomplished racers" around these parts. Some very knowledgable people... but I'd be stoked for more insights from other racers!

You're relatively new on the site as well, right? What brings you around?
Old 11-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

LOL! Yeah i'm new to this site, however been a member of many other forums including but not limited to: Honda-Tech, ephatch, admin for WISHOC (No Longer Exists), K20a.org, and many more.

I recently took a step back and started tinkering with D series cars because they have become relatively abundant and even more affordable. I mean I picked up 2 Civic EX EJ1s for less than $350 total. Sad to say that the one I traded a $50 driver side EM1 door for is the cleanest of the two!

That one we are making into a 24hr of LeMons car and plan on having it race ready by spring. So just joined D-Series.org to find cheap parts, share the love of the build, as well as learn a thing or two about the motors. I do most of my own wrenching and it's all been "trial by fire", and now I am expanding my knowledge towards engine building. I mainly focus on chassis/suspension setup for my race car and have left the power train internals to my buddy who is also my sponsor to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in