Exhaust question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Exhaust question

I have a 1997 Civic Coupe DX.

Recently I replaced the exhaust with the ebay exhaust. It is the typical N1 knockoff you have all seen that includes header, cat, resonator, and muffler (I would post a like but not allowed)

I bought the system based pretty much on price and power gains were not my goal. My old exhaust system had a cracked exhaust manifold and I had 2 other holes rusted through at different locations and getting this full exhaust for $161 seemed like a good deal.

Fast forward to now....The exhaust bolted up just fine but it is ungodly loud and has a metallic/rattle sound at around 3000 rpm. Maybe caused by the resonator??

Again, I am left looking for a cost effective solution to my problem with limited work. So I am considering purchasing a stock Walker muffler. Comes with the muffler and a section of prebent pipe what has a flange at the end. My hope is that I will get lucky and it will bolt right onto my aftermarket exhaust. If not, i will need to do a little cutting and welding.

Looking for feedback. Do you think this will work/solve my problem? Any other ideas? I do not think it will solve the rattling at 3000rpm but it should quiet it down a little.
Evanjl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up

did you search?

Last edited by Sac*HXy5; 11-12-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

The cat you got is likely not a legit cat and probably more of a test pipe, this along with the n1 muffler is probably most of your problem. Did you exhaust come with a silencer that slides into the muffler tip?
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to colelmt

use your stock cat
get a VRS Exhaust kit and a quality Vibrant muffler and take it to a muffler shop and pay them per weld

Thats what i think I would have done if i knew then what i know know

My Magnaflow "highflow cat" was the last thing that went to finally get rid of all nasty buzzing/farting/rattling/ricey etc.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH67MM6UCYA
Below is a vid before I ditched the Magnaflow "high flow cat"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=avBZcMqI7wc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D16Z6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 11-12-2015 at 05:35 PM.
colelmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

buy silencer

/thread.

or buy glasspacks/whatever brand resonator and have it welded up.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up

There are other cheap options for muffler besides the fart can that came with the kit. Such as: Twin Loop

YouTube has sound clips.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by colelmt View Post
use your stock cat

He said in the beginning the cast header is cracked.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole

^ what point are you trying to make? the catalytic converter is not part of the header

D16Z6

EJ255

Old 11-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 jpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regular

Those exhaust systems do not include a catalytic converter. They have an open pipe that somewhat resembles the shape of a cat from the outside, but they do nothing to clean the exhaust and they only make the exhaust system louder. Your 3k rpm noise is most likely one of two things. Either it's a fitment/installation issue where two pieces of metal are vibrating against each other (perhaps at a flange because the provided gaskets are cheap), or it's the typical "bumble bee trapped in a tin can" raspiness that you get when you install a header and delete your cat. In my experience, installing a traditional muffler onto a situation like this will quite down the loud drone, but not always get rid of the raspy buzzy sound. Weather or not an actual oem/stock axle-back muffler (Walker brand or other) will bolt up to the system you have installed... I have no idea - you might get lucky. Or, you could just assume no and cut off the fart cannon and weld in a universal muffler. Didn't the fart can include a removable silencer? If not, you can buy them cheap... maybe that will help in the short term.

Good luck.
jpciii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

From my experience:

Somewhere in your exhaust there is any number of the following

Thin guaged metal tubing

crappy sound deadening material in any resonator or muffler (you can tell by tapping your muffler or resonator etc)

Crappy catalytic converter materials

loose heat shield above where the stock catalytic converter goes

D16Z6

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 11-12-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by colelmt View Post
^ what point are you trying to make? the catalytic converter is not part of the header

check this out.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

^Wow guess thats what I get for never working on anything past 1995.

IMO that new design sucks from a part replacing point of view

Im sure its more efficient to be closer to the hottest exhaust though

D16Z6

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 11-12-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Had a silencer. The distributor died right after I put the exhaust on and the engine back fired twice pretty hard and destroyed it. I bought another one, but even with the new silencer the drone on the highway is too much for me. I twin-loops seem to have a nice tone and do not appear to be too loud judging by the youtube videos I watched. That might be a better solution than the OEM muffler.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

LX/DX/CX/HX All have that catalytic converter/header manifold. Yea it does suck when you get a Walker P/N 82444 which is the stock replacement and the welds on the exit of the catalytic converter crack all the way through!!!! TWICE! haha Autozone covered the first one I have yet to see about the second.

Oh and first one lasted ~18000miles with out support for midpipe, second one ~10000miles with support for midpipe.

Now I'm just going to re-weld all the welds.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanjl View Post
twin-loops seem to have a nice tone and do not appear to be too loud judging by the youtube videos I watched. That might be a better solution than the OEM muffler.
I agree 100%. OEM muffler will still rattle.

Last edited by Sac*HXy5; 11-12-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the post guys. The rattling is more of a bumble be in a tin can kind of thing. I can live with it because it isn't constant and really only happens during take off. It's the drone on the highway that gets me.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Sac* have you seen/heard the ebay twin loop you posted. I think I am going to get it and see what happens. If no good, some guy on craigslist will buy it from me I'm sure lol.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Last dumb question for the night. The ebay twin loop says it is for a hatchback. I have a coupe......I'm assuming the part won't fit or is it close enough to make it work?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Let me google that for you
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

I have not heard the twin loop I linked.
I've been planning on buying it. Need a front bumper first haha

I'm pretty positive all axle-back mufflers are exchangeable for the coupe, hatch-back and sedan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in