D16z6 swap into 1999 ej9 d14z2 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16z6 swap into 1999 ej9 d14z2

Hi I have a 1999 ej9 with a d14z2 and I'm buying a d16z6, comes with everything for swap engine, gearbox, ancillaries, driveshafts, even wiring loom and p28 ecu. I've heard it's not a hard swap but I haven't swapped a Honda engine before and neither have my friends who will be helping me.

Does anyone have a guide I can use to help me?

Thanks
Nikster199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

yes, the guide is called s-e-a-r-c-h
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Lol Slo!

I assume you are not in the States since you have a D14z2.

But I have 3 words: Free Helms Manual.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

If you can't be bothered to search then you probably shouldn't be doing a swap.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

I have tried searching but I have yet to find anything that helps me.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fodo View Post
Lol Slo!ound
I assume you are not in the States since you have a D14z2.

But I have 3 words: Free Helms Manual.
Yes I'm from the uk
Never heard of helms manuals before but I've just found a few websites that have free downloads

Thanks for the help
Old 11-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

As above I have tried searching on many forums and websites still yet to find someone doing the same swap
Old 11-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikster199 View Post
I've heard it's not a hard swap but I haven't swapped a Honda engine before and neither have my friends who will be helping me.
You're going from one D series to another D series. The level of difficulty isn't going to be high. That's probably also why you can't find much information because even though this is an engine swap, it's still the same form factor. Hell, you even have a wiring loom for the engine and ECU. Do you feel competent pulling the D14 and putting it back in? If so, proceed with swapping the D16 in it's place.
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by keel_hauled View Post
You're going from one D series to another D series. The level of difficulty isn't going to be high. That's probably also why you can't find much information because even though this is an engine swap, it's still the same form factor. Hell, you even have a wiring loom for the engine and ECU. Do you feel competent pulling the D14 and putting it back in? If so, proceed with swapping the D16 in it's place.
Thanks for replying
The main part I'm confused with is the electrics, basically going from obd2 to obd1, will I have to change my dash loom to connect the p28 ecu and engine loom?
Also will my current key work fine, I've read that the p28 doesn't have a immobiliser, but my current ecu has an immobiliser will that cause any problems?
Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
And yes I'm quite confident in pulling out the old D14 I pretty much had it out when I did the clutch on it. I've also done a few engine swaps on other vehicles but usually the same engine/wiring
Old 11-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

or you could find an odb2 ecu and use the odb2 sensors in the head to run it. just wire vtec up
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Thanks for replying
The main part I'm confused with is the electrics.
Here's what you need to do: Find the pinout for your ECU, find a wiring diagram for your harness, and verify each connection as you hook things up. I'm running an OBD0 harness with an OBD1 ECU, an OBD2 distributor, and injectors that require the addition of a resistor box. The best way for me to wire up that system was to look at the ECU pinout, review the wiring diagram, and make connections from there. Feel free to search but I think your results will get very convoluted as each application is different. Just use diagrams; it's much easier than following a forum tutorial that may or may not be specific to your needs.

Your best friends in this process are going to be the continuity testing function as well as the voltage measurement function on a multi-meter.
Quote:
Also will my current key work fine.
Your key is relative to your ignition cylinder. We're not dealing with PATS or any other similar feature. It's fine.
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
or you could find an odb2 ecu and use the odb2 sensors in the head to run it. just wire vtec up
I did read that somewhere but I couldn't find a obd2 ecu and the seller offered me the obd1 for a discount with the engine.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Here's what you need to do: Find the pinout for your ECU, find a wiring diagram for your harness, and verify each connection as you hook things up. I'm running an OBD0 harness with an OBD1 ECU, an OBD2 distributor, and injectors that require the addition of a resistor box. The best way for me to wire up that system was to look at the ECU pinout, review the wiring diagram, and make connections from there. Feel free to search but I think your results will get very convoluted as each application is different. Just use diagrams; it's much easier than following a forum tutorial that may or may not be specific to your needs.

Your best friends in this process are going to be the continuity testing function as well as the voltage measurement function on a multi-meter.

Your key is relative to your ignition cylinder. We're not dealing with PATS or any other similar feature. It's fine.
Okay I've found wiring diagrams on another forum and I think will will have to do what you have suggested

Okay so there shouldn't be any issues with the immobiliser then?
Thanks for the help
Old 11-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Okay im hopefully going to be doing the swap tomorrow, I was cleaning/degreasing the engine today and I think theres more sensors on it than on my old engine, what do I do if I have a sensor but no plug?
Also any last minute advice?
Thanks
Old 11-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

The d16z6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0464_1448051440249.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	98706  
Old 11-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Use the original 99 engine harness. The one that's on the z6 motor won't work.

Your gonna need an obd2 to obd1 adapter for the distributor. There's two different styles. An 8 wire plug and a 10 wire plug. You can cut and splice the distributor plug from the z6 harness and put it on the 99 harness.

You will need either an adapter from obd2 to obd1 or y8 injectors. You can all so use the injector plugs from the z6 harness and splice them to the 99 harness.

You should be able to reuse your old alternator. If not you will need to cut the plug from the z6 harness and splice it to the 99 harness.

You will need and Ecu step down harness to use the p28 Ecu. Using the p28 Ecu and the z6 motor there will be a few plugs not used. 2nd o2,knock,crank sensor and a few others.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
Use the original 99 engine harness. The one that's on the z6 motor won't work.

Your gonna need an obd2 to obd1 adapter for the distributor. There's two different styles. An 8 wire plug and a 10 wire plug. You can cut and splice the distributor plug from the z6 harness and put it on the 99 harness.

You will need either an adapter from obd2 to obd1 or y8 injectors. You can all so use the injector plugs from the z6 harness and splice them to the 99 harness.

You should be able to reuse your old alternator. If not you will need to cut the plug from the z6 harness and splice it to the 99 harness.

You will need and Ecu step down harness to use the p28 Ecu. Using the p28 Ecu and the z6 motor there will be a few plugs not used. 2nd o2,knock,crank sensor and a few others.
Thanks for replying
I have found a few diagrams that explain how to re wire the distributor and injectors seems striaght forwardish

I have a obd2b to obd1 jumper harness.
I haven't found a diagram for the alternator yet, although I wss planning on using my old alternator.

What about the iacv do I need to wire it, I have a diagram about switching it from a 3 wire to a 2 wire?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

The alternator wiring is straight forward. The wire colors should be the same.

Yes you will need to convert from 3 wire to 2 wire iacv.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1999, d14z2, d16z6, ej9, swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in