Novice trying to learn - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Novice trying to learn

About two months ago I bought a 99 civi ex. A short throw shifter, and cold air intake were thrown into it. Other than that I believe the rest is stock. Oh, it also has enkei rims on it.
I'm a newbie mechanic attempting to learn how to work on cars. I know quite basic stuff mostly just how to change parts. (Only did alternator, fuel filter and pump on civic so far) very minor things. What are some tips or advice anyone could give me when it comes to working on cars.
I do want to do some upgrades like cams, exhaust etc. A pure engine build I guess. Maybe turbo in the not so near future. Other than youtube how'd you guys learn how to work on cars? and whats some steps I could take to better my knowledge?

And another small bit, I've worked on a 6th gen toyota celica, again simple things like replacing radiator, gaskets and the starter. But entirely by walked through by dad, who also just knows the basic how to on replacing parts.
Thanks.
Vexedoutcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Tear into it and learn as you go, don't fix something that isn't broken, and K.I.S.S.

Otherwise it is all experience and time, I have learn a ton since I joined this site.

I told myself I would not get ripped off by another seller, mechanic, or any one involved in cars, and have gone so much further in learning about this ever changing hobby. These guys have helped every step of the way, even if they didnt know about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

2 years at vo-tech school to learn the theories properly, before that 4-5 years hanging around the shade tree learned the back yard repairs and patch it ups.

25 years in machine shops, along with a few years worth of working in parts stores.

First thing is to read, grab a repair manual, doesn't matter the car and just read it cover to cover, then again.

Most all the same principles carry over from car to car and year to year
The tech sections in catalogs, Speed-Pro, hastings, Whatever ones you can talk the parts guy out of.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Make sure you have a dedicated space for working on things off the car.
Clean and label everything you take off it.
Don't lose your temper.

Commonsense stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Don't lose your temper.
If you get mad at what you are doing, STOP! Seriously Stop what you are doing. Take a break, think about it, sleep on it, then come back to it with a level head.
That's hardest part about working on your own vehicles! At least for me.

I learned the basics by handing my father wrenches as soon as I was walking and talking. No joke!
But from there I became passionate about the 4 stroke Internal Combustion Engine. I kept up on all the repairs/maintenance on our family vehicles(still do help my dad with his and repair/maintain my own vehicles) and then in high school I was on the FFA Small Engines team and took 1st high individual at State Finals my senior year.(had to know 2 strokes as well)
Engine Theory is what you need to learn.

I agree with all the above statements!!!

Good Luck! Oh and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....
Send a message via Skype™ to evo_lucian

I personally learnt the hard way fixing shit that broke. To start off get an engine service manual and a good tool set and take it one step at a time. I had a neighbour who rebuilt an engine with nothing but a good tool set a manual, a bit of patience and some common sense . he had never worked on an engine prior
Old 10-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Just start working on stuff as it breaks or starts showing wear, my dad taught me how to change my oil and do a brake job when I was like 13. Since then I have learned how to turbo a honda on my own by reading. most stuff is easy to repair, its the diagnosing problems that can be a pain sometimes. You need a manual to learn the diagnosing issues and rebuilding a motor, other than that everything practically bolts on and plugs in.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Eother school.
Or do a ton of reading. You read until you know all the info like the back of your hand.
Dont just read the stuff you have a problem with.
Read everything and learn what the problem was and how it was fix and why it fix it.

Then get some hands on and take some stuff apart and put it back together. If it no longer works then you know what not to do lol...
But really if you take something apart make sure you know how to put it back together.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
learning, tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in