S40 b000 Rebuilt Transmission Grind - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default S40 b000 Rebuilt Transmission Grind

Hi,

So I recently bought a supposedly "fully rebuilt" and "dyno tested" transmission for my 96 civic ex from AAMCO. I also got a new clutch kit, flywheel, and drive axels. I noticed a huge difference in my ride after it was all done. One thing I noticed was that I was reaching higher rpms at lower speeds. I noticed this difference so I started doing more research. I came to the conclusion that the previous transmission that was on my car was not the b000 but the a000 which has longer gear ratios. I bought the car because they replaced the engine with one that had fewer miles on it. I knew the transmission was dying on me since I bought the car since it was leaking and grinding the higher gears. The previous owner must of put one on that was just lying around. I figured it would be best to just get a new fully rebuilt transmission once I could scrape the money together, so I did. Now that I noticed the shorter gear ratios I also noticed that the transmission would grind slightly when shifting above 3k rpms but will still fully engage. Im still iffy about my conclusion on actually having the right b000 transmission and whether or not my previous transmission was the a000. Now I'm wondering if these slight grinds are common when pushing the car above 3k rpms or should it still be the case that there should be no grinds no matter the rpms when shifting. I notified the AAMCO manager of this and will follow up with him when I take the car back for its 10 day inspection. I'm just hoping some of you would give me your expertise/experienced advice on this situation.

Thanks in advance!
Bigjay805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

How are your engine mounts and shift linkage?
Old 10-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Clutch could be an issue, but so could be the driver causing the grinds, ASSUMING the trans was rebuilt properly.

What shifts are grinding, all or just one gear, say 2-3 shift?

Dyno tested a Honda manual tranny? I doubt that. But I have used a cordless impact gun to spin the mainshaft to check the shifting.

PS: That trans just won F Prod at SCCA Runoffs in Daytona a few weeks ago

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
b000, s40, transmission grind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in