How do I know which turbo I have? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 mutantgun has been punished by the users of d-series.org
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default How do I know which turbo I have?

I found this turbo kit from the junkyard off of a 2000 D16Y7.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX D16Y8 with this somewhat unknown turbo kit both the motor and turbo kit came from the junkyard.

I grabbed the chipped ECU all the piping/intercooler/clamps and turbo and conversion harness and was able to get everything except the BOV.

I am wondering how do I tell what ratings the turbo has and also what brand and all that good stuff. I already have everything hooked up on the car but wanted to know how much HP and Boost the turbo can handle before it starts to bottleneck.

I believe the kit is a greddy turbo kit. The cast iron turbo manifold and kit looks just like it and it has greddy couplings. thats about all I know at this point though. Thanks for you thoughts!
mutantgun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Law
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Law smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like Borat

My crystal ball is broken mate.
I'll need to see pictures.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

MY bad bro. Here you go. I know they are not the best pictures but its the best I could do!

One is of the oil pan I tapped. It took my 5 hours to clean all the metal shavings out of it. That was a PAIN in my butt there! But anyways here you go!!!

Old 10-20-2015, 03:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

maybe look for a tag or serial number on the housings ?

has you checked the condition of your junk yard turbo?
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Yes. There's no shaft play at all and it spools very firm and smooth with no problems
Old 10-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Greddy TD04H-15G or TD04H-19T

looks like you've got the full kit with IC too
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

If the oil pan was full of metal shavings, that means the motor blew and you don't want to use the tune you got, you need a real tune for your motor. Also if the kit came off a y7, it will need a tune for a y8.
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

The oil pan had metal shavings in it from having the -10 AN fitting drilled and welded in. It took 10 cans of brake cleaner to clean all of it out. The motor has not blown. It runs and drives just fine. But I was thinking about doing another oil change this week just to be on the safe side.

anyways are those turbos you mentioned any good? and if so how much power and boost can I make with them? I am looking to make 270whp on 15lbs of boost if i can.

I called central florida tuning this morning and they said $350 for dyno tune and they said they would tune for 15lbs if i wanted to.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

stop being lazy and google compressor maps for those turbos mentioned. you do a lot more talking and question asking than reading and searching
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Madr0x will become famous soon enoughMadr0x will become famous soon enoughMadr0x will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Madr0x Send a message via MSN to Madr0x Send a message via Skype™ to Madr0x

Use the intranet and search. Also, ten cans? TEN cans of brake cleaner?

Madr0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Yes it took 10 cans.

I wanted to be sure I got every single piece of metal out of the oil pan. It lookeded brand spanking new when I was done with it. I wish I had taken a picture of the oil pan cleaned. It was beautiful.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

thanks for all your help I googled it and the TD04H-15G looks just like mine. has anyone had good experiences with this?
Old 10-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Search, bro.

There are so much info about this turbo setup on this forum. It has been around a long time.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

Are you not the same guy who last week said they were getting the kit from a friend? Who now just got it out of a junk yard?

So tell me.... What story is the true one?
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

Yes it looks like the 15g, a couple people here have made up to 230-250whp and higher with our D series. It's efficient up to 23psi. I'm pushing 7psi on mine with a stock d16a6 making 175whp 172wtq...very fun on the street, full spool by 3,000rpm, mine starts to spool at 2000rpm. I doubt a stock block would last very long with 15psi, but I've never tried so go for it.
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Both are true. My friend found it at the junkyard for me. And he only charged me $500.00 which is what the junkyard charged for everything. So both stories are true.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

Judging by your terrible pictures the down pipe certainly looks like the greddy kit we put on my friends car a few years ago.

Also, I believe it took 10 cans of brake clean to clean that oil pan. I would have used ATF first then stuck it in the parts washer for 15 minutes.

Edit: BTW you friend either made money off you, or that junkyard is overpriced. I just used the price sheet from the yard I go to, to add up everything you listed and came up with $180, but I couldn't find a price on clamps.

Last edited by honduh666; 10-20-2015 at 01:04 PM.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Do you think I would be able to get away with at least 12lbs of boost? I really wanted to run 15 lbs of boost on stock internals but if noone has ever done that then maybe i shouldn't i'm assuming there's a reason why; i.e. engine damage.

I am certainly going to run 10lbs of boost minimum. But really want no less than 12lbs of boost. What I really wanted was 15lbs. But someone told me my pistons would disintegrate at 15 lbs of boost lol so i don't want that to happen.

I don't mind pushing the motor to see what it can do.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

Why do you want to run 15 pounds? You need decide on a power goal and then research how much psi it will take YOUR turbo to make it.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh666 View Post
Judging by your terrible pictures the down pipe certainly looks like the greddy kit we put on my friends car a few years ago.

Also, I believe it took 10 cans of brake clean to clean that oil pan. I would have used ATF first then stuck it in the parts washer for 15 minutes.
Well this is my first official rodeo so I am doing everything for the first time.

I tried to ask for tips and tricks a couple weeks ago but everyone that responded just kinda wrote me off and I figured it was because I was new. Its cool though I understand.

Sometimes when you new you gatta learn the hard ways unfortunately.

But at this point I just want a little risky fast by pushing the envelope and hope I don't blow up my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in