Just Joined Quick Question: Mini Me? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Just Joined Quick Question: Mini Me?

So I have a 99 dx hatch with the stock y7 and a automatic transmission.

Locally there is a rebuilt y8 for sale with headbolts, valve cover, and the vtec solenoid.

I'm low on cash right now, could I swap the head right on? I know I need a new ecu to wire vtec, and that a new intake mani is suggested. Could I add these later as I get more cash?

I'll need a head gasket and a vtec solenoid gasket, any that are recommended?
GrandmasCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Oem gaskets and just take out the y7 and put the y8 in its place. use the y7 inake manifold and exaust manifold as well as all the wiring. After its runing swap to y8 ecu then wire vtec and add your y8 intakemanifold. doing it this way makes everything happen one stet at a time. i can see from reading your post you may be better off doing it this way.swap engine, make run, switch ecu,add wire for vtec, change to y8 manni. make run again. done.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!

Ohh just the head..... well swap the y8 head yes. Use alll the y7 sensors and IM and EM and ecu until you get the other parts geared up

Old 10-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
Ohh just the head..... well swap the y8 head yes. Use alll the y7 sensors and IM and EM and ecu until you get the other parts geared up
So if the head is in good condition I should be able to just plug and play?

Will I need to set the cylinders?

Will I need to anything with the solenoid even if it's not wired?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

No just leave it unhooked as long as the solenoid is bolted to the head. and yes evrythkngelse is plug and play

also no man the cylinders are set .

Last edited by Evanguy; 10-04-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
No just leave it unhooked as long as the solenoid is bolted to the head. and yes evrythkngelse is plug and play

also no man the cylinders are set .
Have any gaskets for the head and vtec solenoid you'd suggest?

Is $140 a fair price for the setup i mentioned?

Where can I get a wrench for the headbolts?
Old 10-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmasCivic View Post
Have any gaskets for the head and vtec solenoid you'd suggest?

Is $140 a fair price for the setup i mentioned?

Where can I get a wrench for the headbolts?
Whooah there.... If you dont even know where to buy socket sets slow down on the head swap.

Y8 intake manifold and y8 exhaust setup on a y7 are 90% of the power difference and maybe 20% of the effort of doing a full y8 setup.

If you want more power and are not very familiar with working on cars try the y7 to automatic y8 intake manifold swap. Its very easy and makes a huge difference, and doesnt involve messing with wiring, mechanical timing, head bolt torquing or any of the other stuff a head swap involves.

After the intake manifold upgrade to a decent y8 style exhaust, after that consider a lower geared y8 tranny.

You sound pretty new to this stuff, if this is your main means of transportation go slow and take small steps.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
Whooah there.... If you dont even know where to buy socket sets slow down on the head swap.

Y8 intake manifold and y8 exhaust setup on a y7 are 90% of the power difference and maybe 20% of the effort of doing a full y8 setup.

If you want more power and are not very familiar with working on cars try the y7 to automatic y8 intake manifold swap. Its very easy and makes a huge difference, and doesnt involve messing with wiring, mechanical timing, head bolt torquing or any of the other stuff a head swap involves.

After the intake manifold upgrade to a decent y8 style exhaust, after that consider a lower geared y8 tranny.

You sound pretty new to this stuff, if this is your main means of transportation go slow and take small steps.
Thanks for the reply.

I plan on getting the car converted to manual so I wouldn't want to buy the intake mani twice, but seeing as they aren't too expensive...

Could you link me to a guide for the mani swap? I'll take your word and look into it.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Check he diy section. You really dont seem like a diy kinda of guy though
Old 10-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Yes, check the diy section. The difference between the y8 manual and y8 automatic intake is the manual is drilled for an iacv in the back, and the automatic is not.

You can actually get a manual intake + iacv and take off the iacv, and cut an aluminum pop can section to cover the iacv holes. Then you bolt back on the iacv to pinch it in place and seal the holes and run it with they y7 throttlebody like an automatic.

When you convert to manual you just remove the iacv, remove the section of pop can, bolt the iacv back on, hook up the iacv and you are good to go.

A manual y8 intake+iacv shouldnt cost much more than $50 locally, if you cant find one let me know, I have one I need to sell.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I plan on getting the car converted to manual so I wouldn't want to buy the intake mani twice, but seeing as they aren't too expensive...

Could you link me to a guide for the mani swap? I'll take your word and look into it.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...swap-pics.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- shooting for 550 wheel.
2006 Quad Cab 3500 Duramax

RIP MJY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
iSpinBearings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Step by step guide to a mini me swap:

Acquire vtec z6/y8 head

unbolt original head and lay intake manifold complete off to the side

install new head and bolt on intake manifold and plug all original sensors in.

Drive it until you can either downgrade to obd1 or install a y8 ecu and additional wiring. It will run fine without the vtec solenoid plugged in and you probably wont notice much of a difference below 4500 rpm's but may start to fall off above 5k.

If i remember right y7 and y8 heads used the same bolt pattern for the dizzy's however the y7 didnt come with a knock sensor, so you may have to swap that over if you decide to keep it ob2 and install a y8 ecu.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

DUnno why you want the Y8 block.

if you run your Y7 block, A) you know it is good, and B) you get a free compression bump for slightly more power and slightly better gasmileage (from slightly better midrange torque)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
DUnno why you want the Y8 block.

if you run your Y7 block, A) you know it is good, and B) you get a free compression bump for slightly more power and slightly better gasmileage (from slightly better midrange torque)
I don't want a y8 block. I just want to do a head swap.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

good catch......wonder if op is a computer
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
good catch......wonder if op is a computer
Doubt it.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

No but it is curious.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

My computer restarted and I reopened chrome and recovered my lost pages. When it reloaded it asked to resend info. I guess it posted again.

I may also be a computer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
d series, d16y7, d16y8, mini me, noob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in