Overheating? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 05:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Overheating?

Quick question I was wondering if my temp needle reaches mid point if that is considered overheating it started yesterday after a long drive I noticed at mid point I did take it to 5-6k rpm for 2 gears then just lead off and cruised but was wondering if it's considered overheating because it happened once again today but once I reached my destination so I just shut it off any help?
EJ1Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 05:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

All of my hondas have ever been halfway up the temp gauge...
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Did you mean never? Mine neither it's usually 1/3 the way always below midpoint but then last night it went up a bit and today also after I reached my destination and parked it it rose up a little

Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano

No I meant always.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Also check for air in the system, bleed the coolant.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Oh ok it's the first time it's done so I was wondering if it's normal I had a feeling it wasn't because it's not up by the H but had to make seeing this is my daily
Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

It was* normal lol
Old 09-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

When you did the pull, you made more power faster, so you made more heat.

Now the cooling system had to remove more heat.

The outside temp will also affect how much heat is removed from the radiator. You can tell it really good in my part of the country.
98* with 90+% humidity, heat index of 110* cars run much warmer than when its 75* with 60% humidity.

So it is just normal the temp on the gauge went up.

Factory gauges are not the most accurate.

What was your actual temp?

How old is the temp sender to the gauge?
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

My actual temp I don't know it's a bone stock d16z6 so it's not turboed I was basing my reading off of the gauge but I do live in Florida and it does get quite humid and hot but my temp has never gone up that far until I did a slight pull last night
Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

I realized it started to go up when I'm at the light or parked when I'm driving it comes back down..... Thermostat? My fans are on
Old 09-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Mine doesnt go up past 1/3 or so, parked or moving, 60-102 degrees out side, doesnt matter.

Dont think its the thermostat, but it is easy to test, take it out, put in a pot of water, slowly heat and watch if it opens.

Fans could not be pulling enough air through, clogged radiator? Check hoses for flow, does it go down if you turn the heater on?

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 07:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

I will do the heater test when I jump back in but my fans do come on
Old 09-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

Thats typical after a pull and you stop moving, RPM is down, so that slows the movement of the water pump, so the coolant is not moving as fast.

Also add in you do not have air flow thu the rad when you are stopped or parked.

Also air follows the path of least resistance, so if the rad is not sealed to the core support, or the fans to the rad, air will go around and not thu the rad.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Well the pull was yesterday so.. And it was a slight pull nothing drastic as it did start to go up I turned on the heater and it did come back down
Old 09-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I 100% agree with you on general principle Bogus, but honda makes it so their temp gauges stay at around 40%, EVERY honda I have driven from an 82 accord to a 2007 civic acts the exact same way. I dont know if they make the range for that needle position really wide or what, but I can tell you that if you are going above the standard ~40% range on a relatively stock honda, something is wrong.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ1Shifty View Post
My actual temp I don't know it's a bone stock d16z6 so it's not turboed I was basing my reading off of the gauge but I do live in Florida and it does get quite humid and hot but my temp has never gone up that far until I did a slight pull last night
what part of florida? mine only reaches the half way point and sits there, or slightly under.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

So could it be my water pump then?
Old 09-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

South FL mine reached middle and then started to go up a bit more as I was waiting at the light turned on the heat and it came back down
Old 09-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

not moving means no air flow. normal. worry about it if it climbs with the heater on
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Hm idk if I wanna have the heater on 24/7 especially in FL lol but still want to try and see if there's a problem this all started last night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in