Mechanical timing question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Mechanical timing question

I've never set timing on a D-series before, but this doesn't look right to me.

I set the crank pulley to 0* BTDC. This was the notch after the 3 timing notches that represent 18*, 16*, and 14* to my knowledge.

Then we come up to the head and look at this.

It is a cheapo adjustable cam gear, which I really don't want. I want a stock one but I do not have one at the moment. Not only is it retarded 2* by itself, but it doesn't appear to line up with the head timing marks. Please note, it doesn't have the notches on the side that you are even suppose to line up. So I'm going on my best guess here.

Question: Is this wrong? I'm thinking I need to spin the cam counter clockwise a tooth and un-retard the cam.

I do want to say the car actually RUNS like this. Maybe I'm in the wrong, that's why I'm asking. Ignore the fact that I have P29 pistons in this right now. I want to make sure this thing is at factory timing and get it to idle on a enrichened factory map, then rip it out to remove the P29s.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Freemananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Im sure that cam gear is for obd0/1 cams. you habe a y8 cam. it needs to be advanced or retarded 4.75 degrees. to make it an obd2 cam gear. Its a half of tooth off. also you time a y8 with the gear marks sitting flat with the VC head side flange unlike other dseries whwre its tipped advanced

the crank pulley is probably good as long aa its tdc.

To check cam timing you can set dizzy to middle and you should get 12* advanced on the crank pulley with a light. althoug if you ecu has more base advancd you wil se a spli difference. if you have an p28 thats 16 base you will se 14* on the crank pulley because it wil spli the differenc.

Last edited by Evanguy; 09-16-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I'm running Y8 base timing via the ECU. Well, at least that's what I'm going for.

So the 'up' marker needs to be facing perpendicular to the ground then? Not to the valve cover? It looks like it is slightly to the right, or clockwise, from being straight up with the valve cover.

If this looks right, then I'll go with it.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver

Old 09-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!

Well i believe its wrong.

If you have 12* base in your ecu and your dizzy is in the middle of adjustment If your cam timing is correct it wil show 12* on the pulley. If it doesnt your gear is set wrong. If that gear DOESNT say 96-00 obd2 then it is an obd0/1. you should set the gear to 4.75* degrees advanced. once you do that its now the same as an oem obd2 gear. use it in that state as a factory gear.

For real if its not 96-00 it has to be 4.75 advanced to be the real 96-00 Zero mark. they are different.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

I hear you on the 4.75*. I think this was retarded instead of advanced. I'll swap it around.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

My cam gear is 38 teeth. So 9.5 teeth to each side of 'up' should be the side markers. It lines up with the side marker on the left, but the one on the right is up at an angle. The timing markers look like 9-o-clock and 2-o-clock instead of 9 and 3.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Old 09-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

why not hit the local yard and get a y8/y7 cam gear?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
why not hit the local yard and get a y8/y7 cam gear?
It's about a hour, hour fifteen from here and I work 6 am till 4 pm mon-fri. Just can't make it until the weekend. Well, and I have plans this weekend too. So it will be about 2 weeks and I wanted to have it running OBD1 just fine before I tore it down.

If it is a Z6 cam gear, which all data points toward, I followed this:

How do you remove the cam gear bolt? Obviously trying to remove it with a wrench just turns the motor over for me right now.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Old 09-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

breaker bar on crank pulley bolt, wedge breaker bar to prevent rotating. seriously, been seeing a lot of non thought out questions lately from a lot of people.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Advanced or retard 4.75 its the same thing. You just need to move it half a tooth. but if you retard you cant use the little level markers on the gear. they will be off. if you advance they will work great as an oem would. Do you have a timing light? if not set the gear to 4.75 and the crank to tdc slide belt on and done.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
breaker bar on crank pulley bolt, wedge breaker bar to prevent rotating. seriously, been seeing a lot of non thought out questions lately from a lot of people.
This is in the noob forum, so I don't even care.

I have a timing light. For whatever reason, the car cranks over but won't start with my OBD1 stuff hooked up opposed to the OBD0 stuff that was installed before. I'll fiddle with it some more. I was hoping it was some timing issue, doesn't seem to be so. I've seen people start p29 engines with stock maps. I just wanted to make sure it would start before I removed those pistons.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Old 09-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Also slo he was searching. he repped me for a post from last year about cam timing lol.

Ok so idealy you have An obd0 car and an obd0 wiring harness and obd1 b7 dizzy. obd1 ecu and obd0 to obd1 ecu/dizzy jumper harness.

I dont believ its the cam timing if it worked before and then you just changed ecus. i say jist find an oem obd2 gear and use it like an oem d16y8. thats what i did to verifie my cam timing was correct because my head and block were milled 60 thou and i had an obd0/1 adjustable cam gear. I wanted to make sure the 4.75 made it a y8 gear.

Last edited by Evanguy; 09-16-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2015, 02:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Alright. I'll just have to hit the junkyard in a few weeks when I finally can. I'll rebuild the motor in the time being.

Thanks.

I did search a ton of stuff, probably several hours. Some of it was more useful than other stuff, some made sense, but a lot of it was contradicting. From what I read, as long as a belt is attached, you can wave a wand and the car will run. Everything under the sun with reasoning ranging from math and number calculations to some guy's brother's car ran just fine like that.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Old 09-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

lol I wish I could delete every post Molecule ever put on the internet about D series cam gears. He was so convincing and wrong. Lol.

Use a stock cam gear that aftermarket shit is fucking up your game plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in