What keeps my Engine from Revving past 4000 rpm. ? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What keeps my Engine from Revving past 4000 rpm. ?

What circuits are directly related to Causing this issue on my '95 civic ex. Engine is not revving past 4000 rpm.
Starts up and Runs fine. Just will Not rev past 4000 rpm. Speed sensor,? What all else. No check engine light.
Any and all help Is Appreciated..
Darrell Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....

It sounds like the ECU is in limp mode - have you checked for codes on the ECU?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I've seen a similar situation with my sister in laws del sol. It turned out to be the distributor, my brother and I believed that the distributor was have issues advancing when the engine accelerated to higher rpms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAY View Post
I've seen a similar situation with my sister in laws del sol. It turned out to be the distributor, my brother and I believed that the distributor was have issues advancing when the engine accelerated to higher rpms.
I believe it was a weak ignition coil. (which is inside the distributor) Hondas with weak coils tend to crap out right around 4k.
grayzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

a weak coil would not just cut out at 4k. it would "break up" as in would proibably rev to redline with minimal load (downa hil for example) or idle, able to rev.

he seems to be describing a redline of sorts AT 4k.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

limp mode. are you sure your check engine light actually works? check for codes.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

I checked Codes. They are None. No check Engine light. Nothing at all..
Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

I'm at a loss here guys..! If I had a Code I Could see a direction to go in for repair. There isn't Any codes.! Like a 4000 rpm rev limiter...
Old 09-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

No codes at all
Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Does the CEL illuminate then go out during key-on?

I've had a car that ran like ass and the bulb for the CEL was removed from the cluster. After the bulb was replaced, codes galore.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 10 HRTuning is starting to learn the ropesHRTuning is starting to learn the ropesHRTuning is starting to learn the ropesHRTuning is starting to learn the ropesHRTuning is starting to learn the ropesHRTuning is starting to learn the ropes

Ya, even with no codes present when you jump the service connector the CEL should illuminate. If that didn't happen your bulb isn't working.
HRTuning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

I'm very curious what kind of fixes people have for cars in limp mode. Mine has the same symptoms, but a solid CEL that cannot be checked.

I'll be watching for the OP's solution.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Freemananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Solid cell is a bad ecu man
Old 09-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
Solid cell is a bad ecu man
I don't think I have 3 bad ECUs though. Furthermore, the ECU works on my CRX but not on the car in question. Bad wiring is my guess, but I've been looking for other explanations.

Sorry OP! Not trying to thread jack. I'm just hopeful for this thread.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Freemananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTuning View Post
Ya, even with no codes present when you jump the service connector the CEL should illuminate. If that didn't happen your bulb isn't working.
chyep. google your generation and search for a fsm to download. then trouble shoot. also, try another ecu and see if its still going into limp mode.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in