Injector question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Injector question

Quick question for you'll, went today to look at a 1997 Civic DX hatchback im thinking about buying, but the car seemed to be leaking fuel quite badly. Not only could you smell it, but you could see it coming out of the injector on cylinder 4 I believe (closest to driver side) on to the intake mani. So im just assuming its a bad o-ring. But what was weird is the car was very hard to start, also you had to give it gas to get it started. Is that normal for a bad injector or is there another problem? Any help would be appreciated thank you! (I searched D16Y7 injectors but all that came up was the size of them, and what ones to use. Nothing about problems with starting)

Edit Cylinder #1 not 4. Thank you mattliston

Last edited by Coods; 08-11-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: info
Coods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

When you push on the "gas pedal" youre actually giving it more air. So it may be getting too much fuel. Possible leaky injectors. The fuel systems on our cars are very simple. Worst case scenario would be a few hundred bucks to fix. Depends on how good of a deal you can get on it. I would recommend staying with 92-95's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

so a lot of gas is leaking around cylinder #1 injector (#4 near tranny)

why is hard starting something weird at this point?

Grab new injector O-rings, install them in under an hour, and perhaps that is the only issue.

BUT you should make sure its actually the injector leaking, and not the return line.

Either way, if that is the only issue noticable, I would grab it as a "mechanics" special.

Does it run fairly smooth once in upper rpms after starting? Does it burp and fart?

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

1997 ek hatch back

There is the CL ad.

There are some other things wrong I discovered. The Title is supposebily clean, but not in the guy that is selling it name (biggest worry to me) In the truck, where the spare tire is kept, near the back of the car it looks to be atempted to be repaired, hence the different color bumper. But for the price, "Clean title" 5-speed is kinda hard to pass up.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

It seemed to run fine once it started and started moving. He said he daily drives it, and it was warmed up when I got there. It died once while we were driving, so im just thinking its not getting enough fuel. By no means am i a mechanic, i do have some decent knowledge tho.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Before buying it, I would recommend test driving it when its cold.

Lots of odd issues go away when things are warmed up, or at least able to be overcome by ecu

If he is not willing to allow you to try driving/starting ti when its been sitting for a few hours, I would avoid it. Just a thought.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano

OP, a fuel leak will cause pressure loss in the rail. More so when your fuel pump has primed and stopped before you crank. Hence your starting issues.
Once the engine is running, the pump runs all the time, so some pressure is maintained in the rail, so things might appear okay.

It's most probably a cracked O ring. Replace it and recheck.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

He didnt seem hesitant to let me to drive it and he was still in his work uniform + its his daily, i still chose to let him drive because i was nervous of the fuel leak, and if it catches fire i wouldn't be driving it. If its a regular fuel leak (fuel rail, o-ring etc) thats something simple really. I'm just scared there some other big thing im missing. I'm used to boxers not these little babies (which is why i fell in love the the D series.)
Old 08-12-2015, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
OP, a fuel leak will cause pressure loss in the rail. More so when your fuel pump has primed and stopped before you crank. Hence your starting issues.
Once the engine is running, the pump runs all the time, so some pressure is maintained in the rail, so things might appear okay.

It's most probably a cracked O ring. Replace it and recheck.
Yeah i was thinking about just going to a junk yard and finding another D series and grabbing 2 injectors just to test it and see if thats really the problem. If it is the O ring i'd replace all the rings on the injectors just to be safe. Just nervous there is something else im missing. I wish i would of taken a video for you guys.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

I wish I could find a hatch around here for that price. People a asking 2k for junk.
damcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Default Injector question

I wouldnt do it just because of the year. Obd2, y7, brittle interior plastics, crappy head liner material, etc... Expand your search. When i search CL i wouldnt mind driving a few hrs to get what i want. You can find 92-95 civic ex's for $1000 running all day. Ive picked up 3 for that price and one for $600 with a blown head gasket.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by damcreek View Post
I wish I could find a hatch around here for that price. People a asking 2k for junk.

I feel you on that. It's been up for almost a month and i realized why. He sold it today tho.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
I wouldnt do it just because of the year. Obd2, y7, brittle interior plastics, crappy head liner material, etc... Expand your search. When i search CL i wouldnt mind driving a few hrs to get what i want. You can find 92-95 civic ex's for $1000 running all day. Ive picked up 3 for that price and one for $600 with a blown head gasket.
My plan is to get a hatch of some kind and do a BAR legal b16. It's gonna be alot of work and money, but it just seems like a nice set up. I'll keep my eyes open, thanks for the advince man, I really appreciate it.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

B16s aren't worth it unless you get a screaming deal on the longblock. B18s and b20s are though
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coods View Post
My plan is to get a hatch of some kind and do a BAR legal b16. It's gonna be alot of work and money, but it just seems like a nice set up. I'll keep my eyes open, thanks for the advince man, I really appreciate it.
if it has no rust, has a clean interior, and only issue is a leaky o ring on a injector it seems cheap enough.

clearly a project car your going to have to build up to your liking.

i notice alot of dislike or members not impressed with b16s.

i personally think they are great little motors.

a big cam, high comp pistons, good 4:1 header an intake and a great tune and they really boogie.

now that can be said for all motors really, those parts will wake anything up big time.

i like d16, also obviously, but i dont think i would build a single in a heavier car. id keep a d16 only in a crx, ef, or an eg. other then that i would be doing a b series or k.

good luck.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
B16s aren't worth it unless you get a screaming deal on the longblock. B18s and b20s are though
I'm paranoid about cops here in CA, and a B16 swap can be made legal. I do love b18's (i was stationed in japan and by friend had a ITR with a B18C, first honda i ever rode in, and it sparked my interest in them). I just like the idea of a 1.6 L making decent power NA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in