Lost with zc vtec misfire - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Lost with zc vtec misfire

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone could shed some light on an issue I've been having. A while back I put in a SOHC Vtec zc obd1 engine in my 95 dx. It ran great for several months and only acted up once with a bad coil that I replaced. Well about two weeks after the coil I was driving home and noticed that it was a little lacking in power but I was tired so I didnt check on it til the next day. I had a ton of new parts I intended on putting on so I started with what I had: Fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter, igniter, plugs and wires, map sensor, swapped tps with another but ran the same, checked the mechanical timing, did a compression test which it amazed me with 195 in every cylinder, checked the ohms on the injectors, and I swapped to a po6 ecu just to see if it would change anything and it didnt... wth am I missing? anyone? PLEASE? lol
knuteiriktveiten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

btw engine is stock and only has a header and drop in k&n and no cat w stock muffler
Old 08-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

you replaced the coil and igniter? there are other non-replacable sensors inside that can go bad.

I would swap in a known good distributor and swap your new coil and igniter (ICM) in there.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

You mean those magnetic pickup cps? I did an ohm test on all three and they are also within spec. can they be bad and still read right? I've tried finding a working distributor but could only find a d15b7 one. I've changed all of the internals of d series distributors before, I wonder if the b7 cps would fit into the vtec one...
Old 08-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

well the internals on the non vtec dizzy seem to be identical so I swapped over the magnetic sensors and started the car.. it runs SLIGHTLY better but still a misfire at all rpms under load. trying to find a known good working dizzy to swap over just to see if it helps as the b7 dizzy i pulled parts from was unknown if working or not.. could the IAT sensor cause bad running if its bad? any way to test it if so? I have no CELs and the light does work
Old 08-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

you swapped the sensors? Might have put them lined up incorrectly.

I would try to find an old d16z6 distributor, and swap it in place. by gut swapping, it merely means wiring, ICM, and coil. gerenlly the housing sensors (cylinder, crank, top dead) shouldnt be touched. Seems they are lined up a certain way.

How are your plugs looking? I would yank one out, regardless of how new it is, and see if gap changed, or if its showing signs of burning super lean or whatever

Build what you have!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

I did pull the plugs yesterday and they were kind of a dusty red color but very light. all of them looked the same.. yes you might be right about those sensors, there are three that look the same and i guess it could be possible I swapped one of them into the wrong place or something. I am hoping to borrow one from my buddys running car for a min to see if it makes a difference today after work. thanks!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

me and fodo did a dizzy tear down and rebuilt. the sensors look the same, but if you checked the alignment on the gear before you removed it, youll see theyre at different "times" on the one we did, the 3rd sensor was 3-1/2 teeth from the first sensor location

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...8-build-9.html
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 08-12-2015 at 02:55 PM.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Well... I went to my friends house who has a z6 hatch. swapped dizzys and it ran the same.... seriously feel like Im running out of options as Ive tried almost everything i can imagine besides swapping injectors in case clogged and checking all of the wiring
Old 08-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

outside of listening to each injector with a stethescope, I would recheck mechanical and ignition timing

Build what you have!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

two of theninjector screens got gunked up. prob solved... note to self.. start with the free stuff before throwing money at it
Old 08-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Most of the time injectors get clogged, there is a hole in the fuel filter underhood or a tear in the fuel sock off the pump in the tank.

I would repalce both AFTER running a bunch fo fuel system cleaner.

My normal recommendation is a bottle of Chemtool B12 at 1/2 tank and run dry, but for you I qould run it with a little less gas to stengthen the mix. After you run the tank dry, THEN replace those parts.

Build what you have!

Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

I just replaced fuel pump and sock, and underhood filter while trying to sort this mess.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Did you run system cleaner previously? Because if those injectors were that bad, you are about to fill up the udnerhood filter fairly quick again.

at least a fuel filter is under $10 shipped online nowadays!

Build what you have!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

I run fuel system cleaner at least once a month.. I think my prob is that I ran it almost out of gas and when i filled up it had already sucked a bunch of crap in there. next time its low Im going to drain it and see if its so bad I need to replace it. This car is getting newer..lol. New engine n trans, n pretty much every sensor and fuel system part is new.. i sure hope running this tank doesnt gunk things up too bad
Old 08-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

pop the rear seats back off, yank the fuel pump assembly, remove the sock, reinstall pump assembly, and use a spare hose to pump the shit out. Could have a guy underneath feeed the new hose between the tank and chassis so you dont risk getting fuel everywhere inside.

Once its empty, hose the shit down with some brake cleaner, or fill the tank with mineral spiritsa and give the car a few good shakes.

Drain it again, and you should be good.

Once the majority of the garbage is gone you should be fine. Then you can reinstall the pump sock.

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in